Jurassic World ACU Asset Containment Unit Uniform

For those obsessed with absolute screen accuracy, the camo pattern used in JW was not Kryptek Typhon, it was, apparently too dark, so they went with Kryptek Madrake and over-dyed it to resemble Typhon instead.

Thanks for the info and link. I'm going to update the first post to mention this. I take it they just dyed it a light blue color?

Thanks for the info and link. I'm going to update the first post to mention this. I take it they just dyed it a light blue color?

The article doesn't mention anything about what color(s) they used but presumably blue. Given that Mandrake is green based pattern it would probably a combination of colors to get it to look blue, although I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of using just blue or multiple shades of blue.

Boo I ordered the typhoon colored stuff . Just gonna stick with it . It's close enough . Thanks for the new info . Interesting stuff .

Hi this is my first post, so I took to dying one of my hats with Rit dye navy blue but I used Kryptek Nomad instead Mandrake seems to have came out OK downside is the thread stayed the same color and has a faded look to it, might have to dye it a few more times. But I think I'll stick with Typhon as I have most of my gear.
IMG_20150623_120458570.jpgIMG_20150623_154412611.jpg

Last edited:
Hi this is my first post, so I took to dying one of my hats with Rit dye navy blue but I used Kryptek Nomad instead Mandrake seems to have came out OK downside is the thread stayed the same color and has a faded look to it, might have to dye it a few more times. But I think I'll stick with Typhon as I have most of my gear.
View attachment 492889View attachment 492890

I never thought about the threads not dying. I've got a set of Mandrake coming and some Rit Royal Blue. Does anyone have insight into how the dye the threads?

Kryptek has a few patterns that they have not yet released that may look similar. They are on their website. The main one being Kryptek Neptune and Pontus. Looking forward to becoming an acu member!!

Kryptek has a few patterns that they have not yet released that may look similar. They are on their website. The main one being Kryptek Neptune and Pontus. Looking forward to becoming an acu member!!

It depends on how screen accurate you want to be. What was used on screen was Mandrake over dyed to look blue because Neptune (?) was too dark. So it's a matter of, do you want to be completely anal about what the costuming dept did or simply go with with what they were trying to do.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Testing out the dye on a hat was enough for me, as I said I'll stick with Typhon, as Raceball said "simply go with what they were trying to do." I had already started working on mine awhile back starting with Typhon. Here's my loadout what I can get on a tight budget, right now just missing the right color boots and right belt, using a Condor Radio Pouch (an extra I had laying around) and Condor Shooter Gloves. Also waiting on Honey Badger as he updated the ACU patches to a more screen accurate design.
.IMG_20150628_181530734.jpg

Testing out the dye on a hat was enough for me, as I said I'll stick with Typhon, as Raceball said "simply go with what they were trying to do." I had already started working on mine awhile back starting with Typhon. Here's my loadout what I can get on a tight budget, right now just missing the right color boots and right belt, using a Condor Radio Pouch (an extra I had laying around) and Condor Shooter Gloves. Also waiting on Honey Badger as he updated the ACU patches to a more screen accurate design.
.View attachment 494486

Curious where you got the 5.11 plate carrier? That thing is crazy expensive!

Curious where you got the 5.11 plate carrier? That thing is crazy expensive!
It really depends on where you get it most places including online don't sell this vest at low prices. I went with evike as they carry them also take note that I had a coupon code that was about to expire and it knock down the price into my budget so I paid about 3/4 the actual price. Best bet is to save up money for it.

Still working on finding a color close to the uniform one of our guys is testing on mandrake. Two of our guys used evening blue, the net gun guy and guy in center came out nice (on typhon uniform). One other guy crouching used denim blue came out too dark because he used it on typhon.

Awesome team set up though! Also, a member of JPLegacy pointed me your way. I believe I dropped you a message on Facebook about some ACU patches. :)

Still working on finding a color close to the uniform one of our guys is testing on mandrake. Two of our guys used evening blue, the net gun guy and guy in center came out nice (on typhon uniform). One other guy crouching used denim blue came out too dark because he used it on typhon.
[url]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/FoxBoy007/ACUteam_zpsfo8vznpk.jpg[/URL]

Unaltered Typhon should be good enough on its own, if a bit dark, since that appears to be the look they appeared to be going after. I wonder if a light bleach solution on Typhon would work since straight Typhon was considered too dark. Also, don't forget about scene lighting and color correction/filters used in the film, people making Grady costumes are running into that issue where the actual shirt used trends to look different in person than on screen and, sometimes, from scene to scene.

Awesome team set up though! Also, a member of JPLegacy pointed me your way. I believe I dropped you a message on Facebook about some ACU patches.
smile.png

Nice where you able to get any of the left over post production patches or did Greg run out?

Unaltered Typhon should be good enough on its own, if a bit dark, since that appears to be the look they appeared to be going after. I wonder if a light bleach solution on Typhon would work since straight Typhon was considered too dark. Also, don't forget about scene lighting and color correction/filters used in the film, people making Grady costumes are running into that issue where the actual shirt used trends to look different in person than on screen and, sometimes, from scene to scene.

unaltered Typhon is fine enough for pictures it comes out nice and blue (depends on lighting and camera settings). But for inperson cosplay it looks too black so we dyed it now we get the best of both worlds. Yeah for the ACU I tried to base my color on one of the extra's pictures rather then the film since it more true to color. linkhere. https://instagram.com/p/31e_VVkXjw/

Here a better pic of my reg typhon vs my buddies dyed typhon. He is currently working on his mandrake it was still to light.

20150711_132056_zpseudjovj8.jpg

Work in Progress:

Last edited:
Nice where you able to get any of the left over post production patches or did Greg run out?

No, I've not been able to get a hold of anyone about the patches yet.

Also, you guys have really nice loadouts! I had wondered how the in person look of the Typhoon would look when compared to a dyed version. As mentioned above, we're definitely having trouble with the grey vs. blue in the Owen Grady side of things, so I wondered how the ACU guys would fair...

No, I've not been able to get a hold of anyone about the patches yet.

Also, you guys have really nice loadouts! I had wondered how the in person look of the Typhoon would look when compared to a dyed version. As mentioned above, we're definitely having trouble with the grey vs. blue in the Owen Grady side of things, so I wondered how the ACU guys would fair...

We have been fairing pretty good on the left is a screen used hat and on the right is our mandrake dyed (Rit dye Evening blue---> Navy Blue ---> Royal Blue) mind you the screen used one has faded out over the year and the camera phone is not to good.

That looks pretty good though! I was looking at Typhon shirts last night to figure out how much the costume might run. Depending on what Hasbro offers for TFA, I may end up purchasing the rest of this costume here soon.

Still haven't heard back about the ACU patches. :/

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back