Jurassic World ACU Asset Containment Unit Uniform

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Flecktarn92, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Flecktarn92

Flecktarn92 Active Member

Well I saw Jurassic World last night and absolutely loved it. The story was good, action was great and acting was terrific. I just wished they used more animatronic dinosaurs rather than CG ones, aside from that it was awesome.

From the trailers you see security forces hunting the Indominus Rex and I had wanted to try and figure out how the put the uniform together. So after watching last night I had a better understanding of their uniforms. I am now in the process of acquiring all the pieces and figured I'd give a break down here if anyone else wanted to put a set together. I checked the forums and didn't see any threads about it so I figured I'd start one.

I'm basing the uniform on some pictures form the JW promotional website along with any screen grabs from the trailers and a set photo that surfaced a little while back.
    Ingensecurity_ls.jpg bmgjjwtigaemvfm-set-photos-jurassic-world-visitor-center-revealed-jpeg-54301.jpg 600px-JurassicW_513.jpg 600px-JW_Taser_rifle.jpg

Anyway for the uniform:

Camouflage: (Update) Thanks to Riceball we now know that the actual production used the Kryptek Mandrake camo and overdyed it to a lighter blue.. They only seem to wear camo hats, helmets and shirts.

Shirt: Vertx Kryptek Gunfighter Shirt - Mandrake
    VTX8220KMD-WEB-1570.png

Pants: 5.11 Tactical Stryke Pants - Charcoal
    74369_092_01.jpg

Vest: 5.11 Tactical TacTec Plate Carrier - Storm Grey
    $_12.JPG

Hat: VertX Kryptek Hat - Mandrake
    VTX9945MANDRAKE.png

Boots: I haven't yet confirmed but I am leaning towards the 5.11 Recon Boot as it only comes in the Storm Gray color on their website and the fact that they seem to be sourcing a lot of their stuff from 5.11 brand.
    12325_092_01.jpg

Belt: Special Thanks to delta88 for identifying it as the Aegis Enhanced Belt.
    EnhAegis.jpg

Pouches: I haven't been able to get a good look at any pouches they use. The promotional picture has a belt pouch attached to the back. It was probably like the belt in that it varied from person to person. They all however seem to have a radio pouch somewhere on their belt which is more than likely the 5.11 Radio pouch in black as seen from this picture.
    DLC00036-720x405.jpg 58718_019_01.jpg

Radio: I didn't get a good look at what radio they use but some seem to have an extender they clip onto one of their shoulder straps for the plate carrier vest.

Gloves: 5.11 TAC AK2 Gloves, some of the solders seemed to have cut the tips off to make them fingerless as seen in the trailer when one of them is holding the tracker.
    590044.jpg

Patches: There seems to be three distinct patches.
    - The large rubber "ACU" chest patch
    - The small rubber "ACU" hat patch
    - The rubber "ACU Isla Nublar" shoulder patch

I was able to source the rubber patches from an ETSY user. Here is his link to his store, he has both the shoulder and chest as well as an embroidered Security patch.
    https://www.etsy.com/se-en/listing/230433588/jurassic-world-asset-containment-unit

Weapons: I have been able to identify two of their weapons they use when going to try and capture the Indominus.
    - CODA All-Purpose Net Gun
    450px-CODA_Net_Gun.jpg

- UTAS UTS-15 Shotgun
    UTS-15_Gen2.JPG

- The tazer gun seems to be a custom made thing as is the tazer staffs that they use, I may be wrong though.

- Watch/tracker: Identified as a Samsung Galaxy Smart Watch (thanks to StcMedia for IDing it).
    A-man-with-an-ACU-hat-looking-at-a-tracker-when-a-drop-of-blood-falls-from-the-sky.jpg

Well that seems to be just about it, I'll post pictures as the items I order start rolling in. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. StcMedia

StcMedia New Member

3. delta88

delta88 Active Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  4. Crane

Crane New Member

That is looking great so far! Any hints as to where you got the gun from? I'm assuming it's a replica and not the real thing?

5. Flecktarn92

Thanks guys for the replies and helping ID some of the harder to see bits. I've updated the list accordingly and cited your input. This may be the quickest I've sourced a costume!

6. delta88

delta88 Active Member

Its the real deal. Fleck you should check out the forums at jplegacy. In the costuming section there is a acu thread by a gent named fox. He's been a tremendous help to me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  7. RiotJavelinDX

RiotJavelinDX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Was about to post this same thread lol

8. RiotJavelinDX

So I've bought the shirt, hat, and pants but I'm hoping to find a cheaper tactical vest.

9. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Somebody (not me) ID'ed the 'tracker' watch as a Samsung (big surprise there) Galaxy Gear smartwatch.

EDIT: Oops, STC beat me to it. I can't find them on Samsung's US site.... The latest ones look different.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  10. StcMedia

StcMedia New Member

From my understanding, the watch they used if a first Gen. They are on 2 or 3 now. Used one eBay maybe? They got spectacularly bad reviews when they first came out so I'm not sure how many are actually out there.

11. Flecktarn92

NcStar has a very similar looking vest for a little cheaper. It's not exact but the overall shape isn't all that different.

RiotJavelinDX likes this.
  12. RobertMuldoon

RobertMuldoon Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does anyone know about any runs of the ACU shield shaped shoulder patches? They looked like PVC to me.

13. mattrendar

mattrendar Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great thread ! Big fan of the movie and was thinking about the same thing . Thanks for all the hard work , sorting all the kit and uniform stuff out . If love to get those patches too . Can't wait to see the progress

14. delta88

delta88 Active Member

You can get dummy Gen 1 Samsung Gears on ebay for 10 bucks or so. I believe they are the Mocha Gray's That's what I did for my outfit. I'm in the process of opening up the watch to put in some type of image similiar to Hamada's from the movie. As far as the patches go the only real run has been the one from Cpt. HoneyBadger on Etsy.

15. RiotJavelinDX

16. delta88

delta88 Active Member

17. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

Is the watch the mocha grey or the jet black? I can't decide, because in some it looks to be a washed out black, but in other pictures I think it's probably the grey...

18. Fox

Fox New Member

O ya for the shirt you have two options The vertx typhon gunfighter shirt or http://www.ur-tactical.com/index.ph...rt_product_id/1539/virtuemart_category_id/143
    both are used in the moive however the color is custom dyed in case your wondering why typhon seems a little off :)
    Here a pic of two extras with both versions on
    https://instagram.com/p/31e_VVkXjw/

also feel free to check out our ACU and Ingen Military FB page and fan film ;)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/ASSET-Containment-UNIT-and-INGEN-Military/765908896863821?fref=ts

I cheaper alternative would be the 5.11 chest rig although not used in the moive, you can see a pair hanging in the background of the ACU room in the security video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ryzm9PTxzc&noredirect=1
    link to chest rig: Color Storm Grey
    http://www.511tactical.com/tactec-chest-rig.html

Captain Honey Badger did a run (sold out) he is currently in the process of updating the patches and will do another run on his etsy page.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/HoneyBadgerDefenseCo?ref=l2-shopheader-name
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    RobertMuldoon and RiotJavelinDX like this.
  19. delta88

delta88 Active Member

Good find on that picture Fox. Those other shirts look a lot less heavier than what you and I have. Gonna have to get one now.

20. mattrendar

Started to order everything . Thanks for the accurate list of items and gear , big help ;)

21. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Fox likes this.
  22. Flecktarn92

Thanks for the info and link. I'm going to update the first post to mention this. I take it they just dyed it a light blue color?

23. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

The article doesn't mention anything about what color(s) they used but presumably blue. Given that Mandrake is green based pattern it would probably a combination of colors to get it to look blue, although I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of using just blue or multiple shades of blue.

24. delta88

delta88 Active Member

So who's gonna be the first to try dying the Kryptek? I've got a UR Mandrake shirt coming, never dyed anything before.

25. mattrendar

Boo I ordered the typhoon colored stuff . Just gonna stick with it . It's close enough . Thanks for the new info . Interesting stuff .

26. AZdude207

AZdude207 New Member

Hi this is my first post, so I took to dying one of my hats with Rit dye navy blue but I used Kryptek Nomad instead Mandrake seems to have came out OK downside is the thread stayed the same color and has a faded look to it, might have to dye it a few more times. But I think I'll stick with Typhon as I have most of my gear.
    IMG_20150623_120458570.jpg IMG_20150623_154412611.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  27. delta88

delta88 Active Member

I never thought about the threads not dying. I've got a set of Mandrake coming and some Rit Royal Blue. Does anyone have insight into how the dye the threads?

28. Barca8423

Barca8423 New Member

Kryptek has a few patterns that they have not yet released that may look similar. They are on their website. The main one being Kryptek Neptune and Pontus. Looking forward to becoming an acu member!!

29. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

It depends on how screen accurate you want to be. What was used on screen was Mandrake over dyed to look blue because Neptune (?) was too dark. So it's a matter of, do you want to be completely * about what the costuming dept did or simply go with with what they were trying to do.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

30. AZdude207

AZdude207 New Member

Testing out the dye on a hat was enough for me, as I said I'll stick with Typhon, as Raceball said "simply go with what they were trying to do." I had already started working on mine awhile back starting with Typhon. Here's my loadout what I can get on a tight budget, right now just missing the right color boots and right belt, using a Condor Radio Pouch (an extra I had laying around) and Condor Shooter Gloves. Also waiting on Honey Badger as he updated the ACU patches to a more screen accurate design.
    . IMG_20150628_181530734.jpg

Osiris63 and Riceball like this.
  31. Cowboybrian66

Cowboybrian66 New Member

Curious where you got the 5.11 plate carrier? That thing is crazy expensive!

32. AZdude207

AZdude207 New Member

It really depends on where you get it most places including online don't sell this vest at low prices. I went with evike as they carry them also take note that I had a coupon code that was about to expire and it knock down the price into my budget so I paid about 3/4 the actual price. Best bet is to save up money for it.

33. TheBryanScout

TheBryanScout New Member

I'm gonna add this to my list of costumes to make. Good work, all of you.

34. Fox

Fox New Member

Still working on finding a color close to the uniform one of our guys is testing on mandrake. Two of our guys used evening blue, the net gun guy and guy in center came out nice (on typhon uniform). One other guy crouching used denim blue came out too dark because he used it on typhon.
    [​IMG]

35. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

Awesome team set up though! Also, a member of JPLegacy pointed me your way. I believe I dropped you a message on Facebook about some ACU patches. :)

36. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Unaltered Typhon should be good enough on its own, if a bit dark, since that appears to be the look they appeared to be going after. I wonder if a light bleach solution on Typhon would work since straight Typhon was considered too dark. Also, don't forget about scene lighting and color correction/filters used in the film, people making Grady costumes are running into that issue where the actual shirt used trends to look different in person than on screen and, sometimes, from scene to scene.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

37. Fox

Fox New Member

Nice where you able to get any of the left over post production patches or did Greg run out?

unaltered Typhon is fine enough for pictures it comes out nice and blue (depends on lighting and camera settings). But for inperson cosplay it looks too black so we dyed it now we get the best of both worlds. Yeah for the ACU I tried to base my color on one of the extra's pictures rather then the film since it more true to color. linkhere. https://instagram.com/p/31e_VVkXjw/

Here a better pic of my reg typhon vs my buddies dyed typhon. He is currently working on his mandrake it was still to light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Work in Progress:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  38. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

No, I've not been able to get a hold of anyone about the patches yet.

Also, you guys have really nice loadouts! I had wondered how the in person look of the Typhoon would look when compared to a dyed version. As mentioned above, we're definitely having trouble with the grey vs. blue in the Owen Grady side of things, so I wondered how the ACU guys would fair...

39. Fox

Fox New Member

We have been fairing pretty good on the left is a screen used hat and on the right is our mandrake dyed (Rit dye Evening blue---> Navy Blue ---> Royal Blue) mind you the screen used one has faded out over the year and the camera phone is not to good.
    [​IMG]

40. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

That looks pretty good though! I was looking at Typhon shirts last night to figure out how much the costume might run. Depending on what Hasbro offers for TFA, I may end up purchasing the rest of this costume here soon.

Still haven't heard back about the ACU patches. :/

41. Asian Inferno

Asian Inferno New Member

All together my kit cost about $600 more or less. I managed to get some discounts but in the end I felt it was all worth it. I'm still in the market for alternative gear such as the screen accurate charcoal 5.11 pants and perhaps a Kryptk Typhoon pants as well. Not to mention the airsoft gun that I'm waiting on till the bluray comes out.

Special thanks to the ACU/Ingen guys for the fanfilm, the research, and the fun times down at Comic-Con!

IMG_20150711_183906.jpg

Bioshutt likes this.
  42. AZdude207

AZdude207 New Member

Question when you dyed the mandrake, did you mix the dyes together than dye it or did you dye it one color than dye it the next color?

43. Fox

Fox New Member

I believe my friend dyed it evening blue first, when that was not dark enough he added a mix of Navy and Royal (75% Royal 25% Navy).

AZdude207 likes this.
  44. Mike J.

Just out of curiosity, any of you ACU guys sporting the 'tracker' smartwatch?

-MJ

45. delta88

delta88 Active Member

Oddly enough I just managed to get a screen to cleanly come off a dummy watch. Only destroyed a few trying. A buddy told me a screen used one was sold on a Movie Prop group on Facebook. Did anyone see a picture of it. He said it had it looked like a dummy with the tracking radar sticker under the screen.

46. Mike J.

Mmmm, yeah. I was given pics of two alleged stunt watches, which have a simplified graphic on a black background. The tracker graphic on them doesn't look too much like the one(s) on screen... I'm working on a replica of the tracker graphic.

Attached Files:

47. delta88

delta88 Active Member

Could we see the pic of the stunt watches?

48. Mike J.

I'm a little gun shy about sharing that pic.

I can tell you they appear to have gray straps, and a sort of tinted, domed-epoxy looking crystals or screens, with brushed metal bezels, pretty similar to the watch on the left on my pic. I'm guessing the director wanted the GUI equivalent of 'more teeth', so the watch interface was made busier, the stream was added to the map, and the screen size was made larger. Just a guess though. And I was almost done with my replica of the version on the left :(

I'm also wondering if they did multiple takes of the blood drops, because their position doesn't match... Both of these images came from trailers, but one may have been newer than the other.

-MJ

49. delta88

delta88 Active Member

That's ashame. Does anyone else here have pics of the watches?

50. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

Your loadout looks really good! I figures around $500 for the entire thing, depending if I purchased the belt or not.

I really wish the Masada airsoft I purchased last year was black now!

EDIT -
    I picked up one of the dummy watches on Ebay. They're hard to beat for that price!
    [​IMG]