Jurassic Park T-Rex / Explorer Set

PHArchivist

Master Member
Thoughts...?

I grabbed it since I have always wanted a model of the Explorer, and the toy (in the box) looks decent...

Last edited:
Any pics? I see different stuff on google, one that looks nice, but really expensive.
Curious what one you got. I would love to have a nice diecast JP explorer, but have never seen one ever made.
Haven't seen you post anything in a while now that I think about it.
Maybe just haven't seen the threads you posted in?

If you’re talking about the Target set, I own three of them! The Explorers aren’t perfect, but it has been my Number One 1:18 scale want for decades, so I’ll take them just as they are.
3A392E99-C709-44CB-80D8-5269589D3ECE.jpeg

I guess so, because the other set out there is the iron studios diorama. And that is nothing, what you "easily" grab...

I wonder no one ever made 1:18 metal cars like the deloreans by sun Star, the ectos by mattel, etc...

Any pics? I see different stuff on google, one that looks nice, but really expensive.
Curious what one you got. I would love to have a nice diecast JP explorer, but have never seen one ever made.
Haven't seen you post anything in a while now that I think about it.
Maybe just haven't seen the threads you posted in?

LOL if I can REMEMBER HOW to post pics! Been awhile...

$50.00 at Target. Big dino; big plastic SUV. But looks pretty good to me.

So yeah, the one posted above by Jodo. The weirdest odd looking part, is the way the T-rex head is attached with the seam around the neck.
Here is the iron studios one I googled, but it comes to $2,499.99, and most likely add tax to that. Bit out of my range.
t-rex-attack-set-a-and-set-b_jurassic-park_gallery_5c4be42abfeab.jpg

Iron Studios also offered the Explorers alone. The diorama comes with a full Explorer 05 and the destroyed 04. If I remember correctly they also had the 04 undamaged Version for sale a while.

The iron studios vehicles are cool, but they are made from plastic and polystone, so the are fragile as hell. No idea why IS decided to do it that way and not using metal models.

They are also 1:10, so if you want to use the cars for the Action figures, it is defineatly the wrong size...

if i had a place to put this stuff id grab it, otherwise it would just sit in the box... i wish i had this when i was a kid..

That's cool!

Will you modify / improve the Explorers?
Absolutely! I bought decals from someone for the BFGoodrich wheel lettering. I’ll also paint the interior of the rims and the window trim black. I’m going to try it on my spare first, but I’ll probably also paint the interiors tan. If I have the time, I may detail the center console and doors.

I’ve actually customized four Mattel Jeeps in a similar way…Painting the indicators, door handles, and other missing details.
7E598EFD-CB84-4466-9801-06C69922B1DB.jpeg

07DC2071-5682-4A03-AC87-196C01694AE1.jpeg

F3C6F769-E649-460D-9A0F-4DD41A04C052.jpeg

so i went to GameStop today to pick up a video game and right next door is a target so i went in to look for blasters and star wars figures. They had about 6 of theses there with Tim. i checked this thing out for i bet 35 minutes, one guy was unboxing stuff and putting them on the shelf and asked

"are ya gonna buy it or what"

i told him i would have died if i had this as a kid.. i made the explorer out of cardboard.. he chuckled and said he has one already lol

im telling you if i had the space id grab this thing.. so freakn cool...

Question here.
Facebook had this link for Bigbadtoystore. So looking though it, theres some nice looking stuff, like this pretty T-rex for 70.
BUT, I have gotten scammed from sites claiming to have things like this, but the item you got was super cheap and basically a $5 dollar or less toy.

This looks nice, length is just over 16 inches. Googling it, it seems legitimate, BUT, I want to make sure.
Hard to tell, but from the picture, looks like this could be worth several hundreds of dollars. I don't want to even spend 70 and get a cardboard cut out of a trex....or whatever.
Thoughts?

trex.jpg

Absolutely! I bought decals from someone for the BFGoodrich wheel lettering. I’ll also paint the interior of the rims and the window trim black. I’m going to try it on my spare first, but I’ll probably also paint the interiors tan. If I have the time, I may detail the center console and doors.

I’ve actually customized four Mattel Jeeps in a similar way…Painting the indicators, door handles, and other missing details.

It is a solid starter, isn't it? Nice job on the jeeps!

The box blocks the wheels, so I hadn't noticed that the spokes are not "cut out". I'll probably go the full route and cut the excess material out of the wheels and windows; just hope the plastic cuts well (might be soft, and may not be able to sand rough edges.

Torn on the base colors - I'm good with the yellow and green, but want a darker red; like good ole' Testor's Dark Red.

Would also like to tint the canopy if possible...

I will also say I’ve never had a problem with BBTS, my buddy orders from them monthly and he’s never had a issue either

I have taken the plunge......I am SO going to get addicted to this aren't I?
Going to run out of money, or house, maybe both......

I’m telling you Michael if I had the space I would have bought it.. brought me back to thinking of when I was a kid and collecting the toys back then..

I always wanted the explorer!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back