Jurassic Park Hammond Canes: comparison between different canes.

A while ago one of these was for sale on eBay. They came in a acrylic display case (in wich the cane is placed horizonatally) if I'm not mistaken? The cane in the auction had no rubber cap on the bottom.

It's a shame there aren't a lot of photos of the screen used prop. Only ever seen low resolution pictures, or one of the crew canes that look very odd.
This is the best photo I've come across (admittedly I didn't do much searching) which shows the cane's finish quite clearly.

Many of the replica canes look like they're intended to be bamboo, instead of bone.

It's handy to have Hammond's white shirt, natural straw hat, and off-white hat band to compare to the cane's finish.

ajU2pzL.png

On Etsy now there's a bewildering number of sellers of Hammond canes:

AWOLreplicaprops (who I assume is our own awol007) (sturdy lathe-turned hardwood cane, real crane fly, very nice-looking)

PC3designs (all 3D printed and unattractive IMHO)

Nighthunter22 (all resin and unattractive IMHO)

Plan9replicas (ABS plastic pipe over steel rod)

LeMaschereDiNaoto (wood cane, real insect, very nice-looking cane overall)

Replicajunk (prop which can't be used as a cane)

Last edited:
Many of the replica canes look like they're intended to be bamboo, instead of bone.

It's handy to have Hammond's white shirt, natural straw hat, and off-white hat band to compare to the cane's finish.

View attachment 1500879

AWOLreplicaprops (who I assume is our own awol007) (sturdy lathe-turned hardwood cane, real crane fly, very nice-looking)
Yep that's me.

I do want to comment on the bamboo vs bone comment. I couldn't agree with this more. At con you'll see a lot of bamboo cane and they just don't look right. I make mine typically a little whiter and closer to the one in your reference pic above. However, there does appear to be versions in the movie that are closer to a natural light wood color but personally I like the version that speaks more to the props story. That's why I made my antler cane because that's basically bone like the dino vertebrae segments of Hammond cane.

Also wanted to comment on the hat. Imho, it's extremely difficult to find a Hammond hat that matches his. I've actually had some made that matches his weave and style.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words about my cane. And check out my bone cane if you have time. I only made one and I use it when I'm at cons as Hammond. People don't believe me that it's antler. Lol.

It's a shame there aren't a lot of photos of the screen used prop. Only ever seen low resolution pictures, or one of the crew canes that look very odd.
There's a cane in the upcoming prop store auction. Official images and listings haven't gone out so we don't know yet if it's a hero cane, production made, backup, etc.

I make mine typically a little whiter and closer to the one in your reference pic above, however, there do appear to be versions in the movie that are closer to a natural light wood color.

It's extremely difficult to find a Hammond hat that matches his. I've actually had some made that match his weave and style.

I only made one bone cane, I use it when I'm at cons as Hammond.
Thanks for the information!

Your bone cane is by far the best Hammond cane I've seen! It looks much better than the "hero" cane, which makes me wonder why they didn't make a real bone cane for the film.

So you cosplay as Hammond? Is there an RPF thread about your costume? I searched RPF and couldn't find a Hammond costume thread.

I'm an old guy with a grey beard who cosplays that sort of character and I'm just now starting to put together a Hammond outfit.

The Hammond hat sounds like the sort of thing one encounters with costumes: "fairly close" things are plentiful, but finding a screen-accurate thing is nearly impossible. For my Henry Jones Senior costume the hat, suit, and bow tie had to be made to order because that's the only way to get everything accurate.

The most puzzling thing about Hammond is his watch. I'm sure you have figured it out! But I can't find any clear closeup photos of it.

I did find glasses extremely close to his style.

In any case I'll need to order a cane from you. I'm rather tall and happily you offer a variety of lengths.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information!

Your bone cane is by far the best Hammond cane I've seen! It looks much better than the "hero" cane, which makes me wonder why they didn't make a real bone cane for the film.

So you cosplay as Hammond? Is there an RPF thread about your costume? I searched RPF and couldn't find a Hammond costume thread.

I'm an old guy with a grey beard who cosplays that sort of character and I'm just now starting to put together a Hammond outfit.

The Hammond hat sounds like the sort of thing one encounters with costumes: "fairly close" things are plentiful, but finding a screen-accurate thing is nearly impossible. For my Henry Jones Senior costume the hat, suit, and bow tie had to be made to order because that's the only way to get everything accurate.
Thanks. Antler is kind of a pain to turn. It dulls the tools much quicker than wood does and it's brittle. But I wanted to make one more accurate to the story of the cane and when I cosplay as Hammond I always tell the story and give a little background on the cane. People always come up and want to see the cane up close and take pics with it. Lol. Thats the best part of cons inho. I always bring about five or six of my wooden canes with me too and surprise people with a free one. They get pumped. It's amazing how many young kids are into Jurassic Park too. It's really stood the test of time.

As for the watch, good luck figuring that one out. r/watches had the clue and those people are watch savants. I actually just wear my Rolex because at least it makes me look like I spared no expense.

As far the hat goes, I got with Chinese manufacturer to do the correct weave in the hat and then I apply the white band. I ordered there MOQ which I'll be adding to my site pretty soon. They all just arrived literally last week. I tried to get with a Mexican manufacturer of straw hats first but they told me that the weave the hat used is an Asian style and they didn't do that, which lead me to the manufacturer I got to do it. So that was an interesting peice of information about the hat. The weave is more about angled strokes than the typical straw hats you see out there for sale.

There's a cane in the upcoming prop store auction. Official images and listings haven't gone out so we don't know yet if it's a hero cane, production made, backup, etc.
I think Spielberg has the main hero cane. The one from the helicopter with the closeup. A paleontologist who I spoke to once said he met him and he had it in his office. I guess it could have have been BS but that's the information I heard.

Nice detailed pics though. Now I'm going to make one.

I really thought that piece under the amber was metal but those pics makes it look like it's just a plastic piece.
Yeah PropStore's listings are a great resource for reference images. And a little trick - click on a thumbnail to see it in the preview window above it. Then go to that window and right click "Open link in new tab" - it will give you the high res version that will give you tons more detail.

Sorry late to the thread. Been off the forum for a bit.

I do still make them. Mine are now a single piece of hardwood turned on a lathe. They are strong and can be used as a real cane. A real crane fly is used for the amber too. I make them in 30, 32, 34, 36 and 38 length so that they fit the user. Attached an image of some amber I polished today and a cane example. If you'd like some more images let me know.

I also made a cane out of antler which I personally really love. Lol. The real prop was supposed to be dino vertebrae so I used antler as my bone material to see how it would come out. I really liked it. I posted a thread on here when I built it.
How much for a cane ? Just for future reference.

Sorry late to the thread. Been off the forum for a bit.

I do still make them. Mine are now a single piece of hardwood turned on a lathe. They are strong and can be used as a real cane. A real crane fly is used for the amber too. I make them in 30, 32, 34, 36 and 38 length so that they fit the user. Attached an image of some amber I polished today and a cane example. If you'd like some more images let me know.

I also made a cane out of antler which I personally really love. Lol. The real prop was supposed to be dino vertebrae so I used antler as my bone material to see how it would come out. I really liked it. I posted a thread on here when I built it.
Just for future reference, how much for a cane ?

do you think they take custom orders ? The one on ebay is an inch too short.
Yes, I do. I make them up to 38". You can order here as well: Cosology - Cosplay supplies and collections (a little cheaper than eBay)

If you want a 37" just buy a 36" or a 38" and add a note. Here is a discount code you too, because why not :)

15% Off: 15OFFRPF

Have a good one. I'll keep the code active for a while so no rush. And thanks Apollo for the shout out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back