Joker (origin film)

If this film paints the Joker as a sympathetic character without showing his true evil nature at the end, then it will have missed the mark by a mile. It needs to show that he wasn't the poor victim we all thought he was all along. That he's actually the villain of his story. I hope they don't screw this up.

While I am very interested in seeing what they do with this, I agree with you that this has to be a balancing act where on the one hand we empathize with the guy but on the other hand we also can see that while he may be beaten down, we know that he takes things too far and that as bad as we feel for him we can't empathize with him terrorizing/ killing people. There has to be a sense where even he knows what he is doing is wrong and but he just can't help himself.

I love the look of this Joker too. A really cool interpretation of the iconic clown make up and the suit is just fantastic.

There really is something about the swagger he has when he walks out of his apartment and comes down the stairs splashing in the puddles as if he owns the entire city. His body language alone when he's in the makeup vs. him as a regular guy it's clear he's like a different person.

I’m into movies for the ride they take me on. I like to commit undivided attention to watching even ones I’ve seen time and time again. I still cry when that John Williams music swells as Elliott and E.T. say goodbye because I go into the scene with the momentum of everything they’ve been through. I say that to establish that I want to feel what I’m intended to by the filmmakers.

I completely agree with you. I want them to break my heart with this Joker. I want to love the guy, empathize, and understand him. Then I want him to cross a line that shows me he’s a monster. By the end of it all, I want it to be easy to classify him as a true villain, but heartbreaking because we were with him right up until that point where he goes too far.

I hope I’m not putting too much pressure on it, but man, this thing has so much potential. Done right, it can transcend its genre and really be something monumental.

Last edited:
I was never a DC fan until it clicked with me that Marvel characters are supposed to be in our world, our cities and relatable and DC not relatable, because they are near God levels,. I liked them more. I've read some bat story arcs, but for the most part avoided DC. Don't kill me, but I didn't care for the Nolan films much. I think the folks behind the more mature animated films and the Arkham games understood the characters better. I like the Keaton films and the old bat in the sun shorts. I loved Leto's Joker, aside from the gangsta look. To me he captured the chaotic nature, the primal danger best. I'm not a fan of when an actor thinks they can summon the best version by talent alone and no reverence for what makes readers drawn to a character. That's what made Downey and Holland so dang perfect, because the people making those movies knew what to look for.. The best Joker so far, Hamil aside was Cameron Monahan imho. I'll watch all of them anyway. I'm happy just to have lived to see the Golden age of cinematic comic books.

That trailer did a lot more for me than the teaser did. I don't care how it fits in with the DC film universe (it's a mess anyway), this does NOT look like the standard formulaic comic book movie... thankfully!
If they can do what Breaking Bad did with Walter White this could be epic. Make me feel for the guy, sympathize with him...then hate the evil ******* he becomes. :cool: (y)

I'm actually pretty psyched for this after getting tired of the standard smash'em up action of the MCU.

I haven't checked this thread in a while and only now did the new trailer show up on my YouTube feed.

While I can say that I liked the first trailer better.........

I am blown away by this new one. I mean in just two plus minutes I get the feeling that what I initially was against (a Joker origin film) may end up being one of Joaquin's defining performances and one of the most iconic comicbook films ever made. I cannot wait to see this! I haven't been to the theater in nearly two years but I HAVE to see this on the big screen!

Holy crap! I get chills just seeing some of the expressions on his face. I'm at once empathizing with him and then utterly terrified. That shot of him painting his tongue.... truly mad. It's so simple but unsettling. Unlike the Jared Leto look which was so over the top and stylized, this sort of bare bones and parred back approach really seems to keep the focus on Arthur and his genuine madness. I absolutely love the choice to tell this story in the 1970's as well where it has a sort of Warriors vibe to it. Streets filled with garbage. Grafitti everywhere you look. Crime ridden streets. The setting alone could very well end up being almost like a character in the story.

I also wonder if they are going to play up what looks to be a tourette's syndrome with the laugh (which is perfect by the way) that comes out of nowhere and ends so abruptly that you almost wonder if it's an uncontrollable tic.

That shot of him in the alley in silhouette may be him stomping someone to death.

When does this come out again? Is it now?

I haven't gushed over a trailer like this since I can remember.

I recently watched both “Signs” and “Gladiator” for the first time in a long time. They are two movies I enjoy tremendously.

For these viewings, though, I really paid attention to Phoenix’s portrayal of his characters. To be honest, it was spot on with what I felt the directors were going for. Subdued, nuanced, all those buzz type words to describe something that is just good could all be used for his role in each of those films.

It’s funny how you never really realize how good an actor/actress can be until they finally get that one role that makes you realize how great they were in all their other roles.

The fact that just TRAILERS for “Joker” made me realize that I’d been “missing” Phoenix’s talent speaks volumes, in my opinion.

I really try not to get to overly excited by trailers...but I have a feeling this is going to be an epic, amazing, and memorable film in a multitude of ways.

Simply put...I can’t wait.

Me neither. I enjoy trailers but they can be deceiving and because of that I typically don't gush over them

That being said, I haven't been this exited to see a movie in a long time. So much so that I will be upset if I miss seeing this in the theater.

Judging by the "Excalibur" poster on the theater wall, this will take place about Summer of 1981.

I think Joaquin has been underrated too (though he does get acclaim). I remember watching him in "Signs", especially in the "It felt wrong not to swing" scene, and thinking how nuanced and effective it was, so I agree with you guys. If you guys haven't seen "You Were Never Really Here", try checking that out. I think it's kind of the prerunner to "Joker".

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back