John Wayne Auction Pieces That Defy Logic

Thanks, Tommy - you humble me.

Yes, hoping to see 70 my next birthday, so yes, a long time.

The POIROT was blind luck, as we were in NC doing the PLANET HOLLYWOOD sale, when I saw on local TV David Suchet was doing AMADEUS on Broadway. We were all involved with BROADWAY CARES, a charity, and he put up those items he brought for the cause. I was determined not to lose out and did not. His agent asked me if there was anything David might sign, so I asked him to use the blank stationary as an invite to tea at White Havens Mansion. He also told me David was astounded that people wanted these things and would pay good money for them. On his 8x10, he also instructed me that he uses a Chinese laundry in London for the bow-tie.

The CATS items were sold on eBay for the very same charity when the show finally closed. I bought a ton, but kept only the teacup (I had seen it three times on BROADWAY and remembered it in the junkyard) and they gifted me with the sign, another memory, as I stood in front of the Majestic Theater those times in front of it, waiting for the doors to open.

CATS collectors, 20 years ago quite young, are still holding tight to their treasures. Very little has returned, but keep an eye out.

POIROT is much tougher, since the production company gave the set, cane and lapel pin to the Torquay Christie Museum. David only brags about 'walking' away with the shoes from ORIENT EXPRESS.

Another long time collector, has a mustache and script on yourprops, from OE as well.

The only other item that I know is out there, is David gave the PM of Australia, 15 or so years ago, a bow tie to auction off for MD. It did very well.

No reason to feel embarrassed, as we are all here to help one another.

rick

Odd that Wayne never played Wyatt Earp , seeing as how he claimed to have met him when Wayne was very young , around his prop man ,come dogs body days !

Maybe a combination of not seeing a good script, and it first being done so well by John Ford in 1946 (MY DARLING CLEMENTINE), without him, and later by John Sturges, in 1957, with Burt Lancaster, as GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL.

Maybe a combination of not seeing a good script, and it first being done so well by John Ford in 1946 (MY DARLING CLEMENTINE), without him, and later by John Sturges, in 1957, with Burt Lancaster, as GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL.
Yes I agree about the Ford thing ! Maybe didn't want to tread on pappy's toes ..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back