john hammond's cane : vertify creators

SparedNoExpanse

hello guys,

i'am a Jurassic park fan and like to collect nice Jurassic park props. i have been looking for a john hammond cane for a long time but i could never find a nice one. I know chronicle collectibles made one but i didn't liked the wall mount and the overall look.
But recently i found one at a marked place and i immediately fell in love with it so i bought it. The cane and frame feel of high quality and cost lot of time to make , but i don't know the creators. it looks like a displayed piece and there is no production number on it , so it must be a 1 time build i guess.
No matter the creators even if its a home made thing i'm loving it and its the best cane prop i have ever seen.
But i want to know the story behind it , and this is the best place to ask in my opinion.

i cant find any similar images or information on the internet about this cane and the frame. so i want to know more.
I will describe it with the best details possible:

starting with the amber tip:
DSC03947.JPG

the amber tip has a distinct dent on the side , the color is quite orange. its a bit yellow on the picture because of the light. it looks like it's glued on top.

the shaft of the cane is made out of wood covert with a thick white paint.
DSC03946.JPG

here is the cane and frame in full pic:
DSC03943.JPG

the cane is standing of a frame which i have never seen before and fits like a glove:
DSC03949.JPG

the wire of the top part cant be opened so u have to slide the cane top to bottom until its in the foot holder which is carved out:

DSC03951.JPG
its all very well made and fits perfectly. the base of the frame is very heavy , a bit to heavy for wood so i think some kind of acrylic's or plastic. the shaft of the frame is made of wood. and its fixed to the bottom with a wooden pin:
DSC03961.JPG

now for the logo plate, its made of 2 acrylic plates. the first plate is glued to the foot the second is screwed on. the weird thing is the image. its not a piece of paper but more like a sticker attached to the first plate. the sticker has ruff and smooth surface.
DSC03957.JPG

the logo say's ICONS but i cant find a lot information about the JP props they made. i found that they made a few eggs and claws but thats it.
could you guys help me out or do you know any information so i know the history of my prop.

thank you!

Lot of information/discussions on this forum about icons in general. Only mention I could find about this item is it is inferred this was not released to production. This would suggest this item may be a prototype.

Hopefully someone here has knowledge of the item.

Lot of information/discussions on this forum about icons in general. Only mention I could find about this item is it is inferred this was not released to production. This would suggest this item may be a prototype.

Hopefully someone here has knowledge of the item.
hi MinaFett,

thank you for taking time for this. So Icons had plans to make this but never released it ? has it ever bin displayed somewhere?
( i'm so curious right now).

I only found limited references to the cane. With a few refs to a proto type. The only picture I found was this one.
IMG_2678.jpg

I believe this picture is a compilation scan of icons media information from way back.

I only found limited references to the cane. With a few refs to a proto type. The only picture I found was this one. View attachment 1363389

I believe this picture is a compilation scan of icons media information from way back.
wow, those are pretty old pic's. hard to see any details. it's hard to see any similarity's.
the lines on cane look very similar , if u forget the brownish haze on my cane (could have bin added later on of course). and the end of cane is similar shaped with no rubber padding. and the logo of course.

but if you look at the display size , the frame would never fit. the cane barely fits inside. could it have bin that they made this frame but never used it because of there display size?

where did you find this picture. its the closest reference i have seen so far.

thanks MinaFett!

Last edited:
i just read an article about a guy named Jim Latta or James latta in 2012 , where he explains what happen to ICONS . he also talked about a bunch of prototypes that never went in production. could this be a icons prototype of the Hammond's cane? are those guys from icons still available for contact? maybe it's wishful thinking but that glossy black frame is their style. i hope someone can help me with this.

The stand is a Katana stand that has been cleverly re-purposed for the cane.

Nice idea!!

i just read an article about a guy named Jim Latta or James latta in 2012 , where he explains what happen to ICONS . he also talked about a bunch of prototypes that never went in production. could this be a icons prototype of the Hammond's cane? are those guys from icons still available for contact? maybe it's wishful thinking but that glossy black frame is their style. i hope someone can help me with this.
Jim Latta is a liar AND a thief.

There are former Icons employees here who will chime in when they see this

The stand is a Katana stand that has been cleverly re-purposed for the cane.

Nice idea!!
haha geezz.. i googled "katana vertical stand"and its a katana stand.. well i guess that solved. its pretty nice. but im still wondering about the cane.

many thanks apollo :)

Last edited:
I have a Hammond cane that was produced by the guys who made the canes from the film and were given to cast, crew, producers, etc. It looks similar, but almost too many lines/too deep in color to match.

I have a Hammond cane that was produced by the guys who made the canes from the film and were given to cast, crew, producers, etc. It looks similar, but almost too many lines/too deep in color to match.
Ah yes i see. So you think it's not ICONS cane?
Well it has a premium place in my collection.
Thanks for the reply

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back