John Constantine's Lighter (TV Version)

mfgreth

Hello everyone, this is my first thread.
Here I will be documenting the process in which I hope to have accurately recreated John Constantine's lighter from the short-lived TV series based on Hellblazer, Constantine. The lighter was designed by Dave Blass of Blackhawk Design, and seems to draw a bit of inspiration from the movie version with Keanu Reeves.
I decided I'd like to do this as my first replica prop because of how criminally underrated the TV series was.
After the premiere of Arrow 4x05 - "Haunted" - in which John Constantine guest stars, I decided to shoot Dave a tweet asking about design details of the lighter. He sent me this back:

johns lighter c dave blass.png

The image certainly gives me a good idea of the details of the lighter, though it doesn't reveal the text in the background of the overall design, which is a bit hard to make out. I'll probably just zoom in to the image in Photoshop and try to read as best as possible. While in Photoshop I'll also try and 're-create' each side of the lighter as a stencil.

Zippo lighters are easily dis-assembled, thankfully, so the only real work to be done is on the casing. I'm sure I can get a zippo shell in the brass-gold color, so the only two real steps in this case are applying the stencil I design and aging.

I figure electrochemical stenciling will probably be the best way to go. I will update when I have more substance worth posting!

It's a colored polishing compound called "Rub n Buff" they sell it online and at most craft stores. I just put a little on a rag rubbed it in, then buffed it lol

does anyone have actual screen shots of that one cuz what iv found its a brushed metal ace of spades zippo

sorry if I'm intruding loved the show and looking for what all he carried to collect and possibly cosplay

Constantine-Pilot-Lighter-Easter-Egg.jpg

The camera on my phone is crap, but here are some pics of a replica I just received today, it's 100% screen-accurate and absolutely gorgeous in person. It's also worth noting that the images in the photo you have are reversed in their placement of the hinges. If you want to buy a replica info can be found here: http://www.thepropsmith.com/blog/where-to-get-a-john-constantine-tv-lighter

View attachment 553192View attachment 553193View attachment 553194View attachment 553195View attachment 553196
Cool, can you sell me?

Could you try taking a rubbing from this?
If we could get a blacked out rubbing (paper over the top, go over it with wax) could try and vector out all of the inscriptions - from there anyone could use it to get an engraving on a zippo at their own discresion.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back