JJ Abrams wants to know how Guri would have ended LOST

Just tell a good story with strong characters that make sense. That's hard enough as it is and its more important. Your philosophy and themes will emerge on their own and be much more effective.

I think LOST does that.
However its "emerging" mythology is masked by ... literal mythology. (or, more accurately, what people have come to call mythology.) I think a lot of people are confusing the mask with what's actually whispering underneath it. The thematic content ("message") of the show -- born of the interaction of the specifics of characters and plot -- are dressed up in a wrapping of more traditional mythological images that seem to have distracted some from what is actually being implied using those elements.

But I'm getting dangerously close to interpretive specificity and this is not the place for me to do that.

I've never seen it, but I think they finally realized the Fat Guy was still fat after several years, so they just secretly followed him to the fast food restaurant he went to and they were off the island.

J.J. Abrams wants YOUR ideas for how Lost should have ended

I think it's curious that the guy who left the show early is still worried about what his audience thinks.

Months later and I only now see this thread... Not sure what was going on with me when it was posted, but of course I have opinions on this!!

First my disclaimer: I loved the ending. It wasn't perfect, but I thought the mythology was intriguing and second, I can't fault them for some of the production problems with cast members leaving, a writers strike and just the format of writing an episodic AND large story arch series with multiple variables over which the writers had no control and which limited the kind of ending they could have had were they to have known exactly where it was going.

Writing a novel you get the creative beauty of free flowing characters and story plot and then get to go back and edit out the pieces that didn't fit with the theme and add in little fun bits to enhance the direction that was working best. Lost was amazing because there was so much of that creativity going on, but bugged a lot of people because as much as it would have been a thrill to have Shannon saying something when she died that corresponded to her and Sayid meeting up and remembering each other, it's impossible to go back and edit a show that's already been filmed. (Unless you're initials are GL.)

So, now, how would I have ended Lost? I'll address the articles problems first:

1) Show us what happens when the Man in Black gets off the Island.
I disagree that this is necessary or desirable. A major theme was faith, and not blind faith.

Beginning in Jack's life with his young messed up father's lack of belief in his own son through his denial that the island was special and even that it just disappeared before his eyes through his experience off island where he finally stopped blaming his dad and realized HE was the broken one, to his return to the island to find out that Jacob believed in him, Richard's suicide scene in the Black Rock to taking the cup because he KNEW he was supposed to do it.

Jack was a man of science who would not accept what he didn't see, who found out what he didn't see wasn't because it wasn't there, but because he wasn't looking.

Christian screwed up as a drunk, but he tried to make it better, he DID believe in Jack and this was thrown in our faces in The Incident right before Jacob touched Jack when Christian says, "Are you sure it's me who doesn't believe in you, Jack?"

For someone to say Lost would be better if they showed us what would happen if MIB got off the island makes me wonder 1) if they mean to show Jack because they didn't understand Jack's story arch was culminating in him not needing to see it. or 2) If they weren't looking at what and who the Smoke monster is.

Now - I'm very, very upset with Ilana going *BOOM* not just because I love her character, but because she was in the middle of revealing something only someone close to Jacob would know - but, why then? Why did they do that? Why not just let her finish telling Jack what would happen if 'that thing ever get's off the island'?

It would have taken away something from Jack's faith story line. I think it was intentional and not just to mess with us fans. Well maybe a little.

So, if JJ asks Guri, I say leave what happens if MIB leaves a big mysterious metaphoric, everyone you know will die/go to hell. It was enough for Jack, and it's enough for me. (Besides, it's obvious what would happen, he sees people as a means to an end, he'd never find 'home' and he's got super powers. duh.)

2) Raise the stakes. The big sudden threat in the final episode, "The End," is that the Man in Black is going to "destroy the Island." Which basically translates to, "I'm going to kill nine people." Plus Vincent, the dog.

:rolleyes The show states the stakes over and over again. The island is special - Jacob has to protect The source, the Source is the Source of Life, Death, Rebirth. It hints at being the source of goodness that everyone has a light inside of them, and everyone wants more. In a cut scene, Desmond, everyone's favorite Lost romantic says it's 'Love'. We are told that the darkness is like a sickness that can put that light out....

So, if the island sinks, the Light goes out and all of that goes away.

Oh, and that bit about 'we all go to hell' - if the island goes down, there's no more protecting the light, it's destroyed and I took that to mean that they are not just saving the lives of the living, but the souls of the dead.

High stakes.

Not once did I calculate how many people were on the island and think that was all that was going to die. The mythology was my favorite part, so I was thinking about all of that going away being very bad and I assumed Jack knew that.

If anything about this would change at all, maybe when Kate tries to talk Jack out of staying and letting it sink Jack could tell her, "If the island goes down, all of this was for nothing. If you wake up tomorrow, and there's still love and goodness in the world, you'll know I did it."

3) Make it a team effort. If there's one theme that resonates through the early seasons of Lost, it's the importance of the whole community on the Island, pulling together. Unfortunately, by the time you get to the final episode, most of the cool characters are either dead, or spent.

:confused Jack would not be who he was had those people not been in his life! Jacob brought them all there and while there they learned to care about each other and mean something to each other. The fact that John Locke was dead did not lesson his contribution to Jack's being able to do what he did. Just the opposite - the people who died - there was even an episode named after it! "What they died for." Were vitally important to driving Jack (and Hugo) to being the heroes they turned out to be.

4) Show us what Jack's learned over six seasons.

*FACE PALM*

Sometimes I swear I didn't watch the same show as other people. I answered this one above.

5) Finally, go for the poetry. What amazes me, rewatching the final episode, is how prosaic it is. At least, the parts set on the Island — the final episode seems to rely on the "flash sideways" scenes to add emotion and wonder to the story, but I skipped those parts, since they didn't actually "happen."
I'm not saying it had to get cheesy, or overtly psychedelic, but a bit more poetry and weirdness in the last episode would have made it feel more like an epic conclusion.

What's more weird than a sideways world that's real but not real where people have to wake up to meet each other and go into the Light - I mean really, it's like saying 4 toed statues aren't weird enough, it should have been six toes.

Also, there was plenty of poetry, but maybe not enough and not blatant enough.

If you watch the parallels between Jack's sideways and on island you'll see things like - Jack is looking for his father's Will RIGHT at the time on island Jack is looking for Jacob's Lighthouse to go figure out what Jacob wants from him.

Off island Ben teaches about Napolean on an island losing all his power and is referred to as Napolean (by his daughter) right when on the island Ben has lost all his power. And then Ben is forgiven by Ilana "Jacob was the closest thing I ever had to a father" and was told that he was the closest thing Alex ever had to a father - the one person he wants forgiveness from most. NO POETRY??

There are more like that - like with Locke and Jack... but you get my point hopefully.

J.J. Abrams apparently feels like he hasn't gotten to hear people's ideas for how the show should have ended. So we should help him out. What are yours?

It's been a while since I watched The End and I can't help feeling I should go back and rewatch before I try to do a good job here, because I did have some ideas... but I'll do a bit and maybe come back later.

First, I'm assuming we can't have more time and this question isn't referring to all of Season 6 - because if it were, I would have done a lot differently with Sun, Jin and Sayid. I also would have made Flocke darker and kept more of the end of Sundown feel to him.

So, the End... Richard and Lepidus needed to have a cameo at least.

I'll have to come back. I know I have a few ideas. :)

Last edited:
I would have part way through the last season, had a newcomer to the Island. In the Finale I would have had them close to being rescued and all questions answered, but then the newcomer "Gilligan" would mess it all up. Fade to black as everybody stares at him.

Life consumes life.

Plus, that allows for Vincent/Jack to return as one Island Power-House in LOST: The Animated Adventures.

Overall it was a good show and an emotional ending that I enjoyed, but I did have a few problems with it.

In "Ab Aeterno," we found out that the Man in Black is the personification of evil who's greatest desire is to leave the island. The island functions as a prison and protects the outside world from his influence. Jacob is his jailer and in order for the Man in Black to escape, he must kill Jacob. Jacob can be replaced by another, thus keeping the Man in Black imprisoned.
That right there explained everything we needed to know to understand the story and the characters. If they had just stuck with that, it would have been great.

Then "Across the Sea" aired and promptly ****ed everything up. First we are told that Jacob and MiB started life as ordinary human beings, and MiB turns out to be a decent person. He is his mother's favorite and loves her, but eventually discovers that she has lied to them about everything and that she is a murderer, so he abandons her. As an adult, MiB has developed a natural curiosity about the world beyond the island and has decided to leave it. His psychotic mother shows up, tells him he can't leave for no reason, attacks him, destroys all his stuff and murders every one he knew after imprisoning them for almost 40 years for no reason. He kills her in response and feels remorseful afterwords, even though she was a dangerous murderer who could not be stopped by anyone other than her sons.

Jacob follows his mother like a lap dog, does whatever she asks without question or explanation, and has no problem with her lying or killing. He states clearly he has no desire to leave the island or even get his own place. He still lives with his mom well into his 30's.

Why is MiB the series' villain and not Jacob? Jacob and his mother imprison innocent people against their will. They require and reward mindless obedience to their authority. MiB is a decent guy who thinks for himself, believes killing is wrong, and his only crime (prior to becoming the smoke monster) is that he wants to escape from a prison he doesn't deserve to be in in the first place.

In the final episode, MiB becomes a man again after the cork is removed by Desmond. Yet he still can't be allowed to leave. Why?

Why can't MiB leave even as a man? Plenty of other characters have left the island, why not him? Why is it so important that he not leave that dozens of other people be murdered in order to prevent it?

You share my criticisms, however there is one entier level that I have the biggest problem with that you missed.

Even if you are able to sympathize with Jacob and somehow can rationalize the idea that the MIB's desire to leave the island makes him evil for some reason, Jacob's motivations still don't make sense.

Jacob stands by his mother who believes that traveling off the island is wrong, and is even willing to slaughter an entire villiage just to stop her sons from leaving. And yet we have seen that Jacob has made numerous trips off the island himself, and even has a bunch of followers that do his bidding on the mainland.

Jacob stands by his mother who believes that traveling off the island is wrong, and is even willing to slaughter an entire villiage just to stop her sons from leaving. And yet we have seen that Jacob has made numerous trips off the island himself, and even has a bunch of followers that do his bidding on the mainland.

What's the issue? Jacob is hundreds of years old. Certainly in all that time, he'd have been able to ascertain where he stood on some of his mother's strictures? Especially so long after she had died and therefore had no daily influence on him? I guarantee you every adult who has ever lived didn't believe exactly what his parents believed after a few short decades, much less a millennia.

I wouldn't put it past Jacob to be giving Barry a big flip off doing it, just to show Jacob can and Barry can't.

Honestly, that eye color change thing throughout the show bothered me a whole lot more going unanswered than a few little plot holes in the last couple episodes.

So if he has come to the conclusion that his mother was crazy and there is nothing wrong with leaving the island, why does he continue to be so againt his brother leaving? MIB does not seem to have any ill intent except for gaining his own freedom. And if you bring up the fact that he is willing to kill to achieve that goal, well in that case you would also have to blame Jacob who has killed just as many if not more innocent people just in the persuit of finding a successor (think of the 100+ people on Oceanic 815 alone who did not survive the crash).

These are not tiny little plot holes, but entire character motivations in which the entire story was ultimatly based around.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back