JFcustom's FOAM files

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by JFcustom, May 24, 2012.

1. Kurtis876

Kurtis876 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Dancin_Fool

Dancin_Fool Well-Known Member

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added Dancin_Fool's Iron Man MkII/III

When I'm doing it what I do is turn on alignment marks in pep designer. This puts crosshairs in the 4 corners. Then after printing you can just connect the crosshairs with a ruler and pen and you'll know perfectly where the piece ends, then you just have to tape them together.

CyberPaddy66 likes this.
  3. Kurtis876

4. Kurtis876

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  5. spideyman12004

spideyman12004 Active Member

Wanted to thank JF for the files. I went out and bought some 1/4" camping foam ($10 for a 70" x 39" roll) but I find it to soft. Has only one else use this type of foam before or should I try something else?

6. Deelite

Deelite Active Member

Well, once you start doing the painting process, it'll get "stiffer". Don't worry about the softness now.

7. spideyman12004

I just find with this foam I'm unable to get any angle cuts even with a new blade. I get one angle cut for the mountain and when I go to do the other the foam just bunches up making one horrible cut line

8. Kurtis876

9. Kurtis876

10. spideyman12004

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into "wandy foam" on ebay but it says they don't ship to Canada. I'll try out Joann.com. Thanks again

11. Kurtis876

12. spideyman12004

Thought I'd give it another shot with this foam. Had enough to just do the right shin. Still need some work on size and angles. But other then that, didn't come out to bad for my first try

http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums...deyman12004/?action=view&current=DSCF0890.jpg

http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums...deyman12004/?action=view&current=DSCF0891.jpg

http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums...deyman12004/?action=view&current=DSCF0893.jpg

13. vargatom

vargatom Member

Foam can be shaped well with a heat gun. Try to make less cuts in curved areas and bend the foam instead, it'll look better. Takes a little practice to find out how to modify the pep files and how to use the heat gun... also consider buying a pair of gloves at your hardware store!

14. Kurtis876

15. Kurtis876

16. mark0017

mark0017 Well-Known Member

These tips and tricks are invaluable mate, many thanks for making foam building a hell of a lot easier......oh and i borrowed your idea for making the arc reactor, it works really well so thanks very much (y)thumbsup

17. Kurtis876

18. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Excellent job !
    What did you use to dig the dark lines on, for exemple, the brown leg ? it looks realy workmanlike.

19. electraflier

electraflier Well-Known Member

I have to agree with JF, those seam lines are so straight and clean they almost look machined....but it is foam right??
    Eager to hear how you accomplish those!
    Maybe the secret is a well stocked bar??? hmmm maybe onto something here spideyman.:lol
    M

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  20. Kurtis876