Jeyl Remembers: Indiana Jones: Greatest Adventures

Jeyl

Master Member
Indiana Jones is back on the big screen in his debut hit, and the BluRay set is almost upon us. After seeing the film in Imax over the weekend, I decided to revisit an old gem "Indiana Jones: Greatest Adventures" on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

attachment.php

Brought to us by the once legendary Factor 5 studios (The ones responsible for the incredible Rogue Squadron games for Nintendo), the game played out like the Indiana Jones version of the Super Star Wars games. Simplified story lines, still shot cut scenes, and the incredible 16 bit renditions of John Williams' iconic music! When compared to the likes of ALIEN TRILOGY that I covered in my last Jeyl Remembers, IJGA does a much better job at actually covering all three films. Granted that didn't stop Factor 5 from taking a TON of liberties.

Ground Rules:
  1. Indy is ALWAYS in his adventure attire.
  2. Indy is always alone.
  3. Indy always travels on a Ford Tri-Motor plane.
  4. Indy never carries his whip or gun and must acquire it in each level.
  5. Music specific to one movie can be placed in a level that doesn't belong in said movie.

Here's a longplay of the game done by ScHlAuChi that I will be using for reference.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

The Golden Idol
Right off the bat, Indy is unarmed and only has his fists. He needs to punch his floating satchel in order to acquire his whip(?!). One of the fundamental differences between this game and Super Star Wars is that in SSW, your weapons carried over to the next level. In IJGA, you start each level with only your fists. This can be a real nuisance. Note that fish can kill Indy, and Indiana Jones takes the wrong turn towards the idol. You're supposed to come towards us Indy!

The Boulder
This is the first in the Super FX stages of the game, with the Boulder being the SFX element with it's rotation. This level is problematic because the sprite size of Indiana Jones is too big and the boulder takes up so much space. It's not an overly taxing level, but trail and error will most likely be your ticket out.

It's also funny to watch someone play this level while you watch it because because this boulder acts like it has a life of it's own. It actually goes up hill faster than it does going down hill, even when there are steps! Also, the boulder looks kind of like a planet with a light side, dark side and areas that look like clouds. And when you beat the level, you are immediately taken to the meeting with Jones and the US agents. no Belloq, no chase through the jungle, no snakes on a plane, and criminally, no Marcus.

SPECIAL BUG!
At the start of this level, immediately roll to the left side of the screen and stay ducked. This will cause the boulder to leave the screen with another boulder to come out. This will cause an unlimited number of boulders to come falling out one right after another. Darn builders sure were persistent.

Nepal
This is one of my favorite levels in the whole game. The setting, the atmosphere, the secret passages, the background ambient noise, and best of all, Indy starts out by punching a box down a hill. I love depth, and this level has a lot of it. It also introduces players to Indy's revolver, which stays a revolver unlike in the actual movie (+1 for the game). Although I don't remember bullets leaving smoke trails.....

Marion's Bar
Remember how I said Factor 5 took some liberties with the game? This is one of the most ridiculous examples. Marion's bar is at least over 20 stories high! The moment you start on the first flight of steps, fire starts from the ground level and begins to slowly chase you up the building.

If you pay close attention to the background, you will note that there are rooms with animated patrons in them, and they apparently don't give a crap that the whole building is on fire.

One cool thing that this game offers is the chance to fight the big bad guys one on one. When you get to the top most eastern part of the level, you'll see Marion holding her medallion. This initiates the Toht boss fight, and he opens with a creepy 16 bit sounding "Good evening". If you watch closely, you can see him twirl one of his torches like Darth Maul twirling his lightsaber.

Enjoy this Marion scene while you can, because after the cutscene, she is never seen again. She also fills in Sallah's role in telling Indy where to take the medallion to be translated.

Cairo
I have only one thing to say about this level. 16-Bit Basket Chase music! This level debuts the regular Nazi soldiers with their machine guns and sword swinging patrons. It doesn't take long until you realize that Indy landed in Cairo on their "Throw your clay vases out the window" day, because everyone seems to be doing it.

So far, the game hasn't been delivering the genuine goods in showcasing Indiana Jones' most memorable moments, but that all changes when you reach the end. And oh, does this game go out of it's way in making sure it plays out exactly like that moment. One of the highlights of the game right there.

The uh... Hay Carriage
Remember the Hay Carriage that Indy tossed Marion onto in order to get her to safety? Well, the guys at Factor 5 deemed that Carriage worthy of having it's own dedicated level despite the fact Marion is no longer in the game. The way this level plays out, it's like Indy is trying to steel the carriage from a simple working man who's just doing his job. I mean, if some foreigner came running after you carrying a gun, what would you do? Poor guy is throwing his precious stock off the carriage just to stop you.

This level also introduces us to the first big "BOO!" moment of the game. After dealing with the carriage driver, you encounter the bald shirtless mechanic that Indy fights near the Wing Plane in the movie. Even though he's wearing an undershirt here, it is the same guy because THERE IS NO PLANE FIGHT later in the game and he's the biggest guy you are forced to fight with your bare fists. Biggest letdown so far.

That's a little bit of the game right there. I might be back to go over some other levels. I don't know, I just have lots of fun talking about this stuff and comparing it to it's source material. Some of it is hilarious.

Last edited:
One of the better features that this game had was the little indy icon that was used as the menu navigator. Every time you selected something it would crack his whip, and when you played music in the options menu, it would do a little dance.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back