Jayne's Gloves from Firefly

I actually like the ACE gloves you found, better then the screen used ones. I might pick up a pair next month, if we don't find something better before then.

Good luck on your hunt, and please keep us posted.

Oh, and they still my have dyed the gloves for the show. I have dyed a number of thing over the last few years, and sometimes the material takes the dye, but the threads don't.

For example, I wanted a brown shirt for my 12" Mal figure, but I couldn't find one I liked, so I bout a white one, figure it would be easy to dye it. I've dyed, and redyed it, 3 times now, and the shirt takes the dye great, but the threads remain untouched by the dye. More to the point, the threads on the gloves I tried to dye earlier this month, didn't get all that dark.

huh, interesting. I'll keep looking around for some more grayish gloves, but I might end up going with the black/white ones from walmart and seeing what I can do to fade them without damaging the softness of the leather.

I'll keep the updates coming as I try things.

Well, I tried my local Lowes, and Home Depot, they had nothing anywhere close. I really would have been fine with the ones from ACE, but I tried my local ACE hardware, and they didn't have that pair. (the ones at my ACE, are the other way around. Dark at the wrist, and knuckles, and light colored on the leath. :( ) I tried Meijers, and Harbor Freight, both had nothing that would work. I'm running out of ideas here.

Well, there's always the old 'completely disassemble the gloves at the seams, make a pattern based on that, and make brand new gloves from more appropriate material'.

But that's a lot of work for something that is still likely possible to find somewhere in a clearance bin if we look hard enough.

thoughts on these dyed darker? Maybe the stitching will stay white, since it is kevlar?

C15483.jpg

Radnor ® Large Side Split Double Leather Palm Work Glove, Kevlar ® Stitched With Canvas Back And Rubberized Safety Cuff - ActiveForever.com

Re: Jayne's Gloves from Firefly

Well, I actually got a pare very much like those (only a little more accurate) on ebay about a month ago. (they were like 2 pear for $13. or something like that) I'll look for the title of the auction, but they looked a lot like those.
The pare I got in the mail were great. They took the die perfectly. The cuffs stayed stiff. (unlike all the other cheep pares I tried, other then the big Jacks.) I filled up the sink with hot water, put a splash of dark brown liquid RIT die in there, and just a pinch of salt. I put the gloves in for about 5-10 minutes, until they looked right. (Keep in mind, there wet so you want them to look a little darker when you first lift them from the die bath, they will lighten up once dry.) The gloves did not shrink, the cuff, and fabric parts went tan, and leather turned brown, and the stitching stayed light in color.
So, why did I not post this sooner? Well I didn't move them around enough in the die. so wall they really do look, and feel perfect , if you look closer, there were places that the die didn't get too on my pare. That has nothing to with the gloves, or the die, or much to do with the possess. That was my fault, had I moved them around more wall they were in the die for that 5-10 minutes, they would have came out perfect. I was going to do another pare, before I posted any of this info here, but I just haven't had the time.
I'll post up the name of the listing, in the next couple of days.

thoughts on these dyed darker? Maybe the stitching will stay white, since it is kevlar?

Well, I actually got a pare very much like those (only a little more accurate) on ebay about a month ago. (they were like 2 pear for $13. or something like that) I'll look for the title of the auction, but they looked a lot like those.
The pare I got in the mail were great. They took the die perfectly. The cuffs stayed stiff. (unlike all the other cheep pares I tried, other then the big Jacks.) I filled up the sink with hot water, put a splash of dark brown liquid RIT die in there, and just a pinch of salt. I put the gloves in for about 5-10 minutes, until they looked right. (Keep in mind, there wet so you want them to look a little darker when you first lift them from the die bath, they will lighten up once dry.) The gloves did not shrink, the cuff, and fabric parts went tan, and leather turned brown, and the stitching stayed light in color.
So, why did I not post this sooner? Well I didn't move them around enough in the die. so wall they really do look, and feel perfect , if you look closer, there were places that the die didn't get too on my pare. That has nothing to with the gloves, or the die, or much to do with the possess. That was my fault, had I moved them around more wall they were in the die for that 5-10 minutes, they would have came out perfect. I was going to do another pare, before I posted any of this info here, but I just haven't had the time.
I'll post up the name of the listing, in the next couple of days.
Oh, wait I found the info, just do an ebay seach for "2-pair split Goathide Leather Gloves for work X-large"

hey guys.
can one of you guys post a finished pic of your gloves?
I am curious to see how they turned out.
I am going to order mine soon

alright... I am haveing a hell of a time getting mine the right color..

what did you use for you color? how did you get the darker part so dark, but not have the lighter part get dark? if that made any sence :wacko

Well I posted what I did above. I used a splash, so liquid brown die, in a sink full of hot water, put the gloves in for somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes. Keep in mind, they will look darker when wet, so you'll want them to look darker then you want them in the end. , when you first take them out of the die, so that when you rince and dry them, they will look correct. Make sure to move them around in the die, so that the die gets in to all the folds.

Sadly I didn't move my first set around enough, and when I went to die my second set I found a big flaw in the cuff. I'm trying to decide weather I want to die my flawed secound set, or give in, and buy another set.

I did the same as you describe jason1976. they look ok, but not like kimncris has posted here in his pic..
the base color looks good to me, but the leather part that goes over the knuckles and thumb are just not dark enough.. IMO.. no even close to kimncirs pic here..
I dyied my second pair longer to see what would happen.. they got darker LOL, but the whole glove got darker.. now the base for my second set is too dark... any chance you could post a pic of yours Jason? just so I have something to compare too.. if not, no prob..
my first set will be ok for now till I figure this out.

kimncris did you do anything different?

I did the same as you describe jason1976. they look ok, but not like kimncris has posted here in his pic..
the base color looks good to me, but the leather part that goes over the knuckles and thumb are just not dark enough.. IMO.. no even close to kimncirs pic here..
I dyied my second pair longer to see what would happen.. they got darker LOL, but the whole glove got darker.. now the base for my second set is too dark... any chance you could post a pic of yours Jason? just so I have something to compare too.. if not, no prob..
my first set will be ok for now till I figure this out.

kimncris did you do anything different?

Mine have been packed away for over a month now. (that's why I haven't posted pics yet.) I will say I don't think the brown on mine is quite as dard as kimncris. I was ok with that, because the once in the promo pics/on the show, didn't look that dark to me. But we wall see colors differently, and everyone should do this kind of thing to where it looks right to there own eyes, so if you want them darker, then do them darker. I just don't personally have any other really tips for you, as I'm just getting started in dying things. You could always go over the brown arts with a brown sharpy. I have colored leather that way before, but it can dry out the leather a bit, so they may get a little stiffer. But when I have done it in the past, the collor stayed pretty nice. (i.e. didn't fade, run, etc. )

I would also like to know how kimncris did his.

thanks jason. I never dyed anything before. overall I am ok with mine.
its just the glove color and the leather color are just to close. I think it should be a bigger difference..
I know what you mean by see different colors.. I see black and grey in alot of the pics of Jaynes gloves. and in some I see the brown.
I think I will try the sharpy thing.. I did that with my very first pair of glove, and that did stiff them up, which I didnt like, but that might be my only soloution right now.

I hope to get a pair that I will be happy with before the "detroit fanfare". adam baldwin will be there. looking forward to meeting him.

Personally, I dipped my gloves in a mix of mostly Taupe with a little Dark Green and just a splash of Chocolate Brown to dim the green down as my base color (the cloth).
I then went back and dabbed the leather with a sponge style paintbrush loaded with pure Chocolate Brown.

My technique needs some work, and I got some brown color bleed on the cloth, but over all, I'm very pleased with how it all came out.

Note: I actually wore the glove I was dabbing during step two, it ended up shaping my stiffened gloves to my hand. I wore 'Hands of Blue gloves' under the Jayne gloves to protect my skin from stain and heat. I highly recommend this approach. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back