Jayne's Gloves from Firefly

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by dr_slurpee, Nov 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Has anyone found a source for the right colour work gloves for to make some of Jayne's gloves from Firefly?

I will have to find a pic to post, or if someone else has a pic handy feel free to post it.

2. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't really looked hard for these, only if I happen to think about it while I'm out at a store. But I remember I used to have a pair. They've since been thrown away, though. :unsure

3. dr_slurpee

Thanks for posting the pics Angelus. I have looked around at the places near me but not found any that colour yet, they are all red and such, or have stripes on the wrist portions, or are red with stripes on the wrist portions...you get the idea.

4. dr_slurpee

By the way, what is that last pic from? What's the full pic look like and is there a larger version? :)

5. amish

amish Sr Member

They look almost canvas and leather...

Check out this site, has a good pic, plus has some nice information

6. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

I flipped it since the original was backward.
    [​IMG]
    E-mail and I'll send you the full size :)

7. dr_slurpee

That would rock Angelus. Email is john @ name-brand.net (remove spaces of course). Where does everyone find all these nice pics?

Yeah the gloves are your standard leather palm work gloves, finding the right ones has been tricky, at least for me anyway.

8. amish

amish Sr Member

I have done some googling for leather work gloves... the closet I have found are ones called "double leather work gloves"

You might want to try that.

9. dr_slurpee

Amish, I did some of the same last night but still found gloves with stripes or entirely the wrong colour. I suppose the possibility is that this colour glove is no longer being produced.

10. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

They also remind me of some cold weather flight gloves I had at one time.... just a thought....

11. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

I found a couple of pair that have white cloth and light gray leather. I suppose if needed, you could always dye them.

12. dr_slurpee

Angelus that might be an idea, but I imagine it would be hard to impossible to dye them well. How many pairs do you have? Perhaps I could buy one from you?

13. dr_slurpee

Bringing this thread back from the dead for those that might be interested. I stumbled across a pair of gloves that are the closest I have seen. The only REAL difference that I can see is that mine have black stitching instead of white. The colour looks more tan-ish in my photo but in real life they are a grey-ish tan. I found them in a store called Home Hardware, not sure if they are Canada only. They were on clearance cause they no longer carry them. Unfortunately they only had one pair of large and 2 pairs of XL. I grabbed the large. Dunno if any other Canadians can check their local Home Hardware to see if they have any. Oh, they also came with a removable fleece liner glove.

[​IMG]

14. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Anyone else find any of these? I would love to get a pair. I don't know how the sizes run in these things, but I may be able to fit an XL. (if a large can't be found)

Jason

15. TD5422

TD5422 Well-Known Member

these are a little lighter

Gloves

but you might be able to dye them

16. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

17. dr_slurpee

Nice alternatives Sulla. :)

I think the furniture leather gloves all have shiny leather on them. I think the right types to look for are split leather palm work gloves.

18. Sulla

What kind of gloves did Jayne wear in the movie Serenity?

19. dr_slurpee

I blieve someone had posted what they were at some point. If memory serves me they are some form of martial arts gloves, or kick boxing gloves, or something of that nature.

20. Sulla

Yup. Sounds right. Thick and padded they be, argh.

21. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

Yeah they're those fingerless lightweight padded MMA gloves that guys wear in UFC and the like.

22. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry, what's MMA and UFC?

23. Sulla

UFC is Ultimate Fighter Championship. MMA is prbably, something'er'other... Martial Arts.

Look on ebay for MMA gloves, martial arts gloves, or "grappling gloves." You'll see what they look like.

24. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Do a search for leather work gloves on ebay showes several pair that look like the ones used on the series. Don't see the correct color combine but there is always dye. Cut out the fingers get a pot of dye and ya got em. If you find a pair with white stiching that doesn't take dye you got em.

25. RogueSolo

RogueSolo Well-Known Member

MMA - mixed martial arts...

and the padded gloves modeled by Stephan Bonner:

Gloves

26. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

Ah - like Kempo gloves.

David

27. blubeetle3

blubeetle3 Well-Known Member

They could be football (American football, not soccer) lineman's gloves. I've seen a few that are close.

28. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Has anyone found any more of the firefly version of the Jayne's gloves. I keep looking, and I can't find them anywere.

Jason

29. Bronson BB

Bronson BB Well-Known Member

Re: Jayne's Gloves from Firefly

I just bought a pair of THESE WORK GLOVES. A pair of Big Jake Leather Palm Gloves #WPL279 from New Pig.
    Cut `em, bleach that logo off, dye `em and I think they might be right on the money. :)

30. Goodwolf

Goodwolf Sr Member

Looking at the previous screencap, I think the piece with the logo is removed entirely, so you wouldn't need to worry about bleaching it.

31. dr_slurpee

the only part that's cut off is the trim around the edge of the cuff, so the logo would still be there. Those are good base gloves, but unfortunately I doubt that logo will come off, it's most likely silk screened on, or put on with heat or something...at best you could possibly get some of it off using heat, bleach won't do a thing to it though.

32. Bronson BB

Well, I have a pair now.
    I haven't even cut the fingers off yet, but the logo on one is smudged and I don't remember it being so when the pair arrived. Could be it'll come off easy, but I won't be able to try for a little bit yet.

33. dr_slurpee

I'll certainly be curious to see if you are able to get that logo off. :)

34. Bronson BB

FINALLY messed with the gloves today.
    Bleach won't even make these things WET, never mind WHITE.
    Paint thinner has no measurable effect either.
    Sandpaper (hey, I had to experiment) only blurred the logo.

So I looked back at the promo pics.
    I REALLY think the costuming dept. took the gauntlets off the Jayne gloves, and sewed them back on inside out. I think we're looking at the inside kevlar lining there cuz they don't quite match the rest of the glove fabric.
    They also trimmed them down a bit.

So, no bleaching; just dye them brown as best as each bit will take it, I guess.
    More experimentation to come...

35. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Sr Member

For those still wondering about the Serenity gloves, they're an older model of Harbinger "bag gloves". They're similar to the aforementioned MMA gloves, but MMA gloves don't have material on the palm.

They've changed the style since then (I think they're navy blue now), but Century still makes some black ones that are close. You need to take the logos off the wrist straps anyway.

36. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Well, I'm still looking. Has anyone else seen anything close to these?

I mean, styles come, and go, and come back again. I know I have seen other work glove styles, and color schemes, come back into "fashion".

37. Bronson BB

I'm still quite certain that the Big Jake gloves I linked to above are the right ones. I now think, however, that the cuffs just had the fabric on top ripped off, and the edge scissored off.

38. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Oops, I'm sorry I hadn't looked at this thread in a long time, and I hadn't seen those more recent posts.

Those do look good for the firefly gloves. I was really hoping it would be a little easier. I mean, I really didn't wan't to have to dye any part of them.

Looking at the pics on the previous page. (there aren't many left up, and the ones that are, are kind of small) It almost looks to me, like they just folded the cuff down. It would ger rid of the logo, it would make the cuf shorter, and it would be an easy explanation for way the material on the cuff in the pics. looks different then that on the rest of the gloves. I don't see anything that looks torn on the these little pics, but if on higher res versions, it does, it could still fight the fold down theory, it could just be either, real, or faked, weathering.

Either way, How do you dye the parts that need dyed, and what color/dye do you use? (i.e. do you have to take them apart, to dye them? could you use a spray dye? etc. And what color are they? I'm just a little color blind. )

39. Bronson BB

Hey, it's cool, Jason. :)

Dying is easy; cutting the fingers right is a little tricky.
    The gloves take the RIT dark brown we used at three different levels.
    The cuffs ignore it,
    The leather takes it a fair amount,
    and the 'double leather' knuckle bit takes the dye doubly.

So basically, if you're careful, you should be able to get your gloves the right colors of brown without having the worry about exposure time for each section separately.

I tried folding the gauntlet section on a pair of these gloves already. It didn't end pretty.
    It made it impossible to get my hand in. Besides that, you can see in the promo photos, Jayne's are single-ply. :)

40. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Ok, so let me get this straight. I dont' have to cut them appart. (or separate the parts with a seem ripper.) I can leave the gloves in one piece. Put them in Dark brown" RIT Dye. and they will come out right? (other then having to cut down the figures, and some of the back end.)

Should I use the RIT as instructed on the package. (i.e. simmer on the stove, for around 20-25 minutes) Some leather can handle that, some really can't, So I just want to make sure before I try it. :)

41. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

The index finger has no leather on it guys cant u see that?

42. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Well, from the pics, still up, in this thread, no I couldn't see that, or much of anything else. So I cropped some of the Promo pics. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your right out the index fingure, and if I dyed the whole gloves, wouldn't that dye the threads too? (I have dyed some things where the thread didn't take the thread at all, but I'm just wondering if it would in this case.)

43. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

You know, now that I can see them clearly now, not only is the index finger dark brown, but the stitching, and piece of material, goes over to the thumb. (I'm not saying that right. It's like they used a separate piece of the dark brown fabric, for the thumb, and index fingure,) This is very unusual for standard work gloves. It may help us find the correct brand.

44. keelhauler

keelhauler Well-Known Member

45. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

OO, those look closer. IMHO (what an ugly color scheme. :lol) I have a harbor freight on my black, I go there at least once a month. The nixt time I'm there, I'll pick up a set, and give it a try. :)

46. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

At that price I may pick up a couple pares. I may try some RIT color remover on one pair, and if that doesn't work, maybe some bleach. If I can get the black to fade just a little, and the orange? red? to go almost white, I could then use some brown dye, to try to get it to the right color, on both parts. (i.e. if the black faded, and then was dyed, with the brown, it would be dark brown. If the orange part was faded to almost white, then I could dye it to a light brown/tan/gray/what ever that is on the screen used gloves.)

If none of that works, i wont be out more then $10. for the whole attempt. (though it will probably be early next week before I'll get a chance to try it.)

47. Terman8er

Terman8er New Member

I think these are spot on. Remove the label on the cuff and even the color is close. Better than the orange/red ones to work with I suspect.

48. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Well with this new evidence i stand corrected lol.. Good thing because im starting a Jayne soon :)

49. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Yeah, when I went back, and looked at them again, I think they have the same finger stitching as the red/black ones, It's just not as obvious do to the lighter color scheme, and the way the photographed them.

I still might pick up a pair of the cheep red/black ones just to play around with, but I will probably go with the fancy ones for my actaul replicas.

Though i do like the cuff on the red/black par better it's shorter, and it doesn't have the big old logo on it.

50. Bronson BB

It should be noted, all...
    that the off-hand thumb remains intact.

It's the only finger not cut off.