Jayne's Gloves from Firefly

Re: Jayne's Gloves from Firefly

The index finger has no leather on it guys cant u see that?

Well, from the pics, still up, in this thread, no I couldn't see that, or much of anything else. So I cropped some of the Promo pics. :)

glovepic2.jpg

Jayne042.jpg

Jayne072.jpg

Your right out the index fingure, and if I dyed the whole gloves, wouldn't that dye the threads too? (I have dyed some things where the thread didn't take the thread at all, but I'm just wondering if it would in this case.)

You know, now that I can see them clearly now, not only is the index finger dark brown, but the stitching, and piece of material, goes over to the thumb. (I'm not saying that right. It's like they used a separate piece of the dark brown fabric, for the thumb, and index fingure,) This is very unusual for standard work gloves. It may help us find the correct brand.

OO, those look closer. IMHO (what an ugly color scheme. :lol) I have a harbor freight on my black, I go there at least once a month. The nixt time I'm there, I'll pick up a set, and give it a try. :)

At that price I may pick up a couple pares. I may try some RIT color remover on one pair, and if that doesn't work, maybe some bleach. If I can get the black to fade just a little, and the orange? red? to go almost white, I could then use some brown dye, to try to get it to the right color, on both parts. (i.e. if the black faded, and then was dyed, with the brown, it would be dark brown. If the orange part was faded to almost white, then I could dye it to a light brown/tan/gray/what ever that is on the screen used gloves.)

If none of that works, i wont be out more then $10. for the whole attempt. (though it will probably be early next week before I'll get a chance to try it.)

I just bought a pair of THESE WORK GLOVES. A pair of Big Jake Leather Palm Gloves #WPL279 from New Pig.
Cut `em, bleach that logo off, dye `em and I think they might be right on the money. :)

I think these are spot on. Remove the label on the cuff and even the color is close. Better than the orange/red ones to work with I suspect.

Well with this new evidence i stand corrected lol.. Good thing because im starting a Jayne soon :)

Well, from the pics, still up, in this thread, no I couldn't see that, or much of anything else. So I cropped some of the Promo pics. :)

Your right out the index fingure, and if I dyed the whole gloves, wouldn't that dye the threads too? (I have dyed some things where the thread didn't take the thread at all, but I'm just wondering if it would in this case.)

I think these are spot on. Remove the label on the cuff and even the color is close. Better than the orange/red ones to work with I suspect.

Yeah, when I went back, and looked at them again, I think they have the same finger stitching as the red/black ones, It's just not as obvious do to the lighter color scheme, and the way the photographed them.

I still might pick up a pair of the cheep red/black ones just to play around with, but I will probably go with the fancy ones for my actaul replicas.

Though i do like the cuff on the red/black par better it's shorter, and it doesn't have the big old logo on it.

:lol just noticed that earlier today. I though I was seeing thing. :)

And here is the proof.

Right hand. (thumb of the glove cut down.)
Jayne033.jpg

Left hand. (Thumb of the glove is still there.)
Jayne032.jpg

I think that would feel kind of funny. I know it's that way in the promo pics, but I wonder if they cut it down, later in the filming of the show.

Last edited:
I never really paid attention to these while watching the show, but that's a really good design as work gloves go. Way better than that typical nasty blue and grey with red.

DOAH. I ordered a some Big Jake gloves (from a different place) They came, and they are differernt. :( The grey is leather is much lighter in color, and the rest of the gloves are very canvasy. It seems to have a lot more texture then the Jayne gloves. The one model you find when yuou click the link able, look good, but just be careful you get t hose gloves, if you order from somewhere else.

Well, back to the drawing board. :(

I bout 2 pair of the Big Jake gloves. (after looking at mine closer, they are just like the ones in the link above.)

Wall it is true that they parts take the die at different rates, you have to watch how much dye you use, and how long you leave it in the pot for. My first pair wond up with the fabric part a dark chocolate brown, and the leather parts an even darker brown. Plus, the boiling in the pot stiffened up the leather a lot.

I ask a few times here, if it was ok to dye these the way it instructs you to, in the instructions that came with the dye, but no-one answered. If you can find a way to dye them that does not involve boiling, please do so.

But by far the biggest problem is the logo. On my second pair, I tried bleach, color remover, Mineral oil, turpentine, and yelling at them, all of with did nothing. On one glove I tried sanding it off, but it wore through the fabric, down to the rubber, before it even started to disappear. Since the cuffs are too big anyways, I thought about cutting them off, bellow the logo, but, that would make the cuffs way too short.

In short, I think these are close, but I do not think these are the gloves they used. We need something just like them, but with a shorter cuff, and no big, ugly logo on them.

So, I went and got a pair of Harbor Freight gloves. (the red, and black ones) Don't even think about it. I tried everything I could think of to fade the colors, but nothing put much of dent in it. In the end, I put it in a pot of color remover, with my last pair of the Big Jake gloves, hoping to fade the colors on the red/black gloves, and remove the logo from the big Jake gloves. In the end both pairs barely faded at all (in fact I think if actually made the logo on the Big Jake gloves darker. :lol) And the red/black gloves, shrank so much that they were unusable.

Now, I'm out of a lot of cash, and no further then I was a week ago. :( (I only blame myself though, so no worries.)

So save your money, and doen't bother with either of these options. Lets all keep looking for something with the color scheme of the Big Jake gloves, but without that awful logo.

I bought a pair of Big Jake gloves as well, and I'm planning on removing the cuffs and either swapping them on the gloves (so the logo is on the inside of the wrist, where some paint or whatever over the logo won't be so noticeable) or turning them inside out.

Although I agree, finding the 'correct' gloves would be about a hundred times less irritating.

At least they're soft and comfortable on the inside.

I've tried everything I can think of to remove the cuff logo on my Big Jakes.
With all those efforts (as details elsewhere in this thread) having failed, I tried to strip the logoed fabric off the cuffs, but that left bare rubber and it was dry rotted and got ugly real fast.
I even took the cuffs off in order to reverse them, Crix. If you can figure out how to get them back on, you'll be doing better than I did.

My next attempt will be to spray glue an additional layer of fabric over the cuffs.

So I can say with some confidence that the specific style of gloves that Jayne wears is definitely a common style.

The issue is finding a pair with the correct color combination, or something that can be altered to reach it.

These are a pair I found today. They've got an Ace Hardware logo lightly imprinted on the top of the hand on one glove, but some light work with a bit of sand paper would remove it easily enough, and aid in the 'weathered' look that the gloves in the show have.

I'm curious about finding a way to fade the color of these, if I can figure out a way to do it without destroying the gloves, I think these would be really close.

04201113015701.jpg

Well, in that pic, the stitching doesn't look as light in color as the pair Jayne wears, but other then that, those look really good.

As for faiding them. Well you could use color remover, but that would have to be done in hot water, and as I mentioned before, that will destroy the gloves.

I would try either Bleach, or you could cover them in lemon juice, and put them in the sun for a day, or two. (I've never done the lemon juice thing myself, but I know a lot of costumers, swear by it. I guess it fades stuff pretty well, and it smells better then bleach.)

Yeah, with the white stitching, it's probably safe to assume the original gloves weren't dyed for the show, but I'd imagine it's going to be nearly impossible to find the exact perfect gloves.

I ended up not buying the brown gloves, they've got a winter liner inside that I don't wanna deal with removing right now. I'll keep looking around, since the cut of these seems to be kind of generic. Walmart had the same gloves in white canvas with black leather, so I'll have to go check home depot and lowes, etc.

Maybe we'll get lucky!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back