Jawa on a Shoestring(FINISHED)w/Pics

n0x23

This is my first replica costume that I'm trying to put together and since I'm the type that will stop and ask for directions, I thought I would post it up here.

There's nothing technical, ground-breaking, or SA here, I'm just basically picking & choosing from different tutorials that I've found, but I thought I would document my progress in hopes of getting some constructive criticism, input and advice.

Here's where I'm at after dying the beige Monk's Cloth carried over from the other thread where I got alot of really helpful advice on the basics of dying fabric.

Dying Fabric?

IMGP6515.jpg

IMGP6507.jpg

IMGP6512.jpg

I was going to buy a blank mask for Micheal's but I thought it was too thin, so I was going to by two to double it up but I found this Ironman mask at Walmart for a couple bucks less and it's alot thinker and has the padding around the eyes as well.

l_ff671797227849fb9eac94d5fcc548ae.jpg

I drilled some speed-holes so the mask will go faster.

l_d8ac36ae3a8f4345bfeb9d7477cc0dd0.jpg

I cut and glued some ribs off a plastic irrigation pipe to keep the fabric off the nose and then sprayed a coat of Plasti Dip.

l_0e909f7cfd7a47179f1716830fd2f2de.jpg

I looked all over for some reflectors and nothing, but I finally found this random toy at the Good Will and bought it for a dollar.

l_2acdb98642784c5092d02a3bbbc5ebdc.jpg

Melted a couple slugs out and put them into some gaskets, I was going to sand them round, but I figured they would look better a little more wonky.

I found some usb, LED lights, 2 for a dollar at the 99 cent store and tore them apart.

l_bef269888090465081bc8611027670d5.jpg

I found the brown jersey gloves for .98 cents at Lowes.
Also, I was looking for Marabou Feather Boas for the hands, but they were all around 7-10 dollars, I found this 6ft. boa at Micheal's for $2.00, right next to the 10 dollar boas...exact same thing. :confused

I also picked up some memory wire for the hood (on sale) and a wide strip of elastic to replace the thin red stuff that came with the mask.

l_1eca5c3732bd465bb69cb03e5bbd4836.jpg

Again, any tips, advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: Jawa on a Shoestring

Well, the Jawa is a bit dated, so I figured it would be best to keep it somewhat current. :lol

Do you think an Arc Reactor would be too much?

A Jawa-Iron Man cross over is coming now. :lol

"Iron Uttini!"
"Iron Pesk"
"Scrap Kid." :lol

I see some internal conflicts and detrimental masochism with Iron Jawa Man, considering the Jawa's intense control issues with droids.

Even though Iron Man isnt technically a droid, I'm still sensing that there would be alot of self-loathing and late nights in a seedy Bondage and Dominatrix dungeon somewhere on the outskirts of Mos Eisley.

I decided to nix the USB lights, the wire was way too thin, but I found some book lights at the .99 cent store and they use 3, 1.5v button cell batteries, as opposed to using a couple 9 volts, which reduced the weight considerably.

Now I just need to add the elastic band and the faux fur and the mask will be done.

123.jpg

124.jpg

Again, any critiques, constructive criticism or suggestions are welcomed.

I had some faux fur lying around, but the fur was to long and thick, so I took an old electric razor and shaved off most of the fur, which also lightened the material and made it more "breathable" in the mask.

IMGP6543.jpg

I just need to add the screen on the eyes and it will be finally finished. :)

I'm thinking of adding a fan, but I'll see how she does when she wears it for an extended period of time.

I decide to put the material on in random strips like they did with the Gaffers tape in ANH to somewhat break up the lines of the face.

IMGP6547.jpg

IMGP6551.jpg

Any feed-back?
Positive or negative...doesn't matter....

Last edited:

I think its a very cool idea and looks great! people need to put restraining bolts on their ironmen lol. reminds me of an Iron wolf Man

punisher, MooCriket and rmschneider104, thank you very much, I really appreciate that. :)

I was starting to think that this project was too common, over-done, simplistic, or inane to garner any comments. :lol

reminds me of an Iron wolf Man
Yea, exactly!
My daughter and I were laughing our butt's off last night when I posted it.

So tomorrow I'm doing a Muslin mock-up for the robe and hood, should be interesting, since I've never used a sewing machine in my life. :confused

I've got a question about the hood.

On the TK409 pattern it shows the hood as a rectangle folded in half with a snap...

jawa_pattern.gif

...but on this pattern I found from a Jawa build.....

jawahoodpattern.jpg

...it has tabs and a considerably different shape than that of the rectangle/square, TK409 pattern.

Which pattern, in your opinion, would more closely resemble the shape of the original hoods?

behind-camera.jpg

jawajpgw300h413.jpg

Finally someone puts the eyes in the correct locations (below the wearer's eyes) I love it!!! Can't wait to see it finished. :)

I think the new pattern you found looks like it would resemble the original better. Good luck with the sewing.

I think its looking great so far! Very creative process also! I havent seen many jawa costumes (not that I've been trying to find any) so I would have to say that this the second one Ive seen, ever! Any Ideas on what to use as weaponry? There might be some nerf guns that would make a cool jawa-esque gun!

If not already mentioned, I would cover the masks eye holes with a course-weave fabric. It's very easy to see through/see out, but shows as black when a bright camera flash hits it. Otherwise you see the real eyes in pictures.

I've had really good luck using the black fabric sold as speaker grill cloth in my helmets and such to cover the eyes.

vaderdarth

Thank you.

Firespray
I think the new pattern you found looks like it would resemble the original better. Good luck with the sewing.
I think so to, I just don’t have any experience with patterns so I wanted a second, perhaps a third opinion on it.

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at sewing for along time...I hope it works out. :confused

punisher

There are other Jawas out there, some really good and some...well... not so good.
I’ve been using the really good ones for ideas and inspiration.

James Kenobi 1138

I've had really good luck using the black fabric sold as speaker grill cloth in my helmets and such to cover the eyes.
Yea, that’s the last thing I’ve got to do with the mask, then it’ll be finished,

Where do you get the speaker grill cloth at?

It doesn’t have a problem with flash illuminating the eyes?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back