Jawa on a Shoestring(FINISHED)w/Pics

Re: Jawa on a Shoestring

I'm all but completely done except for the hood.

I'm trying to figure out how to sew the black material inside of the hood.

I thought that i would just sew it into the hem, but looking at the ref. pics I noticed that it runs right along the edge.

I thought that I could initially sew it in the hem on the outside, then fold it over and secure it again along the same hem, but it leaves a gap and the SA hood it's flush and I can't see a secondary hem that would secure it.

I can't figure it out.
Any help would be really appreciated.

jawahem1.jpg
jawahem.jpg

Your work is looking fab so far. Fun stuff :)

You could always just glue the black fabric into the hood seam if that's easier for you.

As for the hands, the Planet of the Apes cantina wardrobe was only in the US second unit shoot (shot long after the location shoots and principal photography had wrapped).

However, I've always suspected the hands could've been from 2001. Stuart Freeborn worked on that film (brilliantly, I might add!) as well and they used a pair of 2001 ape hands for Kabe in the cantina. Stuart was known for saving stuff for future use, so it's very possible that's what they could've been.

best,
Tom

Thank you, Tom, I really appreciate that,
Yea, it has been alot of fun. :thumbsup

I was thinking about the glue route as well, but now I'm wondering what adhesive would be best suited for the application.

Spray Fabric Adhesive?
Fabric Glue?
Bonding Fabric or Fusible Web?

And then what brand would be the strongest, since i have to secure the memory wire to hold the shape of the hood...

3M super 90?
DRY CLEAN ONLY ADHESIVE?
FABRI-TAC?

Yea, it's separate.
I'm just finishing up on the hood (the last piece), I just finished sewing all the hems and the black cloth.

I bought some Fabric Goop for the gap between the black material and the hood along the front edge, I don't think it's going to look exactly like the SA jawa, but it should be good enough.:unsure

After the glue dries, I'll just add the snap and sew up the back and it'll be done. :thumbsup

I had to hand stitch the marabou feathers on the gloves, which was interesting since I've never done that before.

editglo.jpg

Then with the hood I used some medium-weight interfacing to help retain the shape of the top of the hood....

edithod.jpg

Then sewed the black material and memory wire into the hem of the hood and glued the edges.

editbla.jpg

Since this my very first costume and I've never sewn, dyed fabric or anything before, it's definitely been a learning experience. :)

I guess, if it were me, I would consider if it's for a display or a costume.
Also, there are the Jawas from ANH, ROTJ and PM, and they all have a slightly different look to them.

I tried to build up a ANH version, but with parts that I liked from the other versions as well.
The Brown Jersey Gloves with the tuft of marabou feathers is from the PM Jawa and I chose those because it's a costume, a display, I would have tracked down some gnarly monkey hands.

The monkey hands that you posted almost seem to nice, the ones from ANH look like all black hair, pretty cheap and haggard.

jawas1234_edit_crop.jpg

I see your point. Mine is strictly for display purposes. I love how you did the shoes. I'm hoping to win Moff's 1903 bandolier and pouches.. Look forward to more progress pics.

Well I couldn't make it to Tunisia, so we had to make do with the local landscape.

I'm open to any and all critiques and suggestions.
It can always be better. :)

IMGP6696EDIT-1.jpg
IMGP6700EDIT-1.jpg
IMGP6717EDIT.jpg
IMGP6721EDIT-1.jpg
IMGP6735EDIT-1.jpg
IMGP6685EDIT-1.jpg
IMGP6732EDIT.jpg

Cool.
Thank you Trooper.

I need to add Velcro to the hood, I thought the wire would hold it in place, but I had to improvise with a safety pin, which caused to pull too much in one area.

I still can't figure out how they actually did it. :confused

When you finish yours, post pictures, I'd like to see it. :thumbsup

Hi
Great JAWA .
Thought you may like to see my son as a JAWA , I made this for him in about a week. I used bath towels for the cloth and LED's for the eyes. I know its not movie correct , but it did the job.

Attachments

• bvb.jpg
    bvb.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Awesome jawa both of you I just finished my daughters jawa costume for some up coming comic conventions here in Kansas city. She was pretty mad when we went to the biggest on we have here in KC and her jawa wasnt ready and to make it worse she saw other people in jawa costumes as well haha. Here is a pic of her.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back