Jason Todd: The Red Hood (2004 version)

AmitKer

Hello everyone. Along all the (countless) Red Hood builds posted in this forum, I decided to go on with my favourite version (and honestly, something I haven't seen here before): the design done for the "Under The Hood" comic, by (the absolutely brilliant) Judd Winick. I just LOVE how this design is minimalistic, practical and manacing all at the same time. Outstanding.
Ref6.png

With the helmet, I started off by lining up some references, making sure they fit my head's size and shape, and then modeling it in Blender. It's my first time 3D modeling, so it didn't come out THAT great, and the unfolding was (and is) even more messy, but It'll do - next time will be better. The actual area around the eyes will be made out of epoxy putty, as it will be easier than sanding it carefully in the bondo.
RH2.png RH3.png RH4.png

There are several design elements I specifically love and want to adress in the final product: one is the small eyes; second is the roundness and smoothness of the helmet; and lastly, in some panels it's appearing as reflective, which is hella RAD.
Ref3.png

Moving on to the clothing, I gathered the needed references and tried to break it up into all the different parts.
Ref2.pngRef4.png

I'll buy the jacket and the pants, but I already know I'll have some problems with the vest, gloves and boot-covers. I have no real leads as of now - not even a pattern - but I know for sure that I want them to be textured and feel authentic. Thought of pleather for the main parts of the boots (the buckles will most likely be casted out of semi-rigid polyurethane), and 1000D cordura nylon with sturdy-looking weave for the vest. Something that looks rough enough to be legit.
Ref8.png

And last but not least, I will want to make Jason's iconic badass knife.
Ref5.png

I have no clue how to make it convention-safe - but all in good time. Maybe foam. We'll see.
There is no specific deadline, it's just kind of a passion project I am now able to start working on. So no pressure.

Here we go.

Last edited:
Well... As passion projects tend to be, this one has been pushed aside for a very long time now. Now that I have been able to really sit down for several hours and finish the pepakura helmet, I have a few concerns about it. This one has a very tight fit on my head, and I thought I'd ask here before I take this further:

1. Is the resin-hardening stage gonna lead to notable shrinkage? I am slightly worried about that part because it's already very snug. On the other hand, I really don't want the helmet to look like a comically-enlarged head, which was the case with the last helmet I made.
2. The head-opening is too small to put it on right now. I was thinking about sawing it into two sections later on (front and back) and bind them back together with magnets or elastic straps. During what stage of the build do you think it will be most optimal to do it (as in, after the resin hardening, Bondo, etc.)?

IMG_20181025_231345_571.jpg

Aside from that, I have a kind-of-a-progress on the clothing. These pictures from the Gotham Shadows FB page had the closest thing to what I had in mind for Red Hood's vest:

12239310_959995074060373_4804187627027609955_o.jpg12295284_959995114060369_4853800845645550081_n.jpg
It looks amazing, rough, AND practical to wear. Way better than high-denier Cordura.

Now, I couldn't manage to find the actual costumer and ask him about it, but it looks as if he stretched a lycra mesh on-top of another shaded spandex that's glued on top of a muscle suit. What I can't quite figure out is HOW exactly he stretched the mesh over the spandex so beautifully (look at the wrinkled parts - it looks almost like he glued them on top of each other. Maybe with spray adhesive?). If someone is up to figuring out what's happening here, I'll be more than thankful. I'll probably start experimenting with samples in the near future nonetheless.

Thanks in advance for any reply, and a great day for anyone reading this!
I'm really determined to take my time and make it as good as it can be. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back