James Cameron - Hypocrite

Cameron has had his day and will fade away to nothing more than a talking head full of hot air like Al Gore.

Americans are so tired of being told what to do by elitist who claim to have our best interest at heart because we're too stupid to make up our own minds and form our own opinions.

Hollywood needs to learn to keep their politics to themselves and spend time trying to make good films.

I don't mind being enlightened, as long as the entertainment is primary.
fixed it:

Entertain me, Don't enlighten me unless you are actually right, I want facts, not opinions and hot air, don't tell me who to vote for, tell me how to create a cobalt molecule, etc.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry /\

Next we'll have Bruce Wayne in Batman voting for an actually candidate.

(If the above is also not good, than I apologize again in advanced)

I donno. Again, I don't care if someone is trying to make a point, even if it's a point I totally disagree with, as long as it's entertaining and enjoyable. Avatar was neither entertaining OR enjoyable. The Naked Gun 2 1/2 was chock-full of environmental "green" messages, yet it was very entertaining ("I LOVE it!"). Doctor Strangelove was an anti-war movie, but it was entertaining first and foremost.

I think Cameron HAD to push Avatar. After Titanic hit it big in 97, he had to prove that last couple of years he was working on something WORTH the time he was putting in. The bad part is he hired a bunch of F/X people to build the characters, the world, and everything... then left the script and story to the last minute (okay, maybe not literally... but it's what it felt like).

Sorry to come to this thread so late, but I missed it before.

...the accusations against Cameron is that he has not changed his lifestyle accordingly to be "green." By definition, change has to measured between two separate instances in time.

Yes, he has a large house. But can you prove that he has not reduced his carbon footprint? No, you cannot. Despite the fact that it is undoubtedly true he has a larger than average carbon footprint, it cannot be EMPIRICALLY PROVEN that he has not reduced his carbon footprint...

You're missing the point entirely. The argument is not that Cameron hasn't reduced his footprint, he may very well have. But he clearly consumes more than the average person. You posted a hypothetical before: if he produced 100 tons of Co2 emissions last year, and cut back to 90 tons this year, is that not a reduction? Well, yes it is. Good for him. But it's still 70 tons more than the average person! Is he special? Does he deserve a larger footprint than the rest of us? Does caring about the environment give him a pass to do more harm than someone else? I don't begrudge him his lifestyle, he's earned the money and can do with it as he pleases. It's the preaching I have a problem with. He consumes more than the average person, he lives the life of a king, yet he tells the peasants that we need to cut back and sacrifice. That is hypocrisy.

I burn about half a gallon of gas a day, on average, I just don't have very far to drive normally. How much does he burn in a day? I'll bet it's more than half a gallon. When he consumes less energy than I do he can talk, otherwise he needs to STFU.

And Avatar sucked.

Sorry to come to this thread so late, but I missed it before.

You're missing the point entirely. The argument is not that Cameron hasn't reduced his footprint, he may very well have. But he clearly consumes more than the average person. You posted a hypothetical before: if he produced 100 tons of Co2 emissions last year, and cut back to 90 tons this year, is that not a reduction? Well, yes it is. Good for him. But it's still 70 tons more than the average person! Is he special? Does he deserve a larger footprint than the rest of us? Does caring about the environment give him a pass to do more harm than someone else? I don't begrudge him his lifestyle, he's earned the money and can do with it as he pleases. It's the preaching I have a problem with. He consumes more than the average person, he lives the life of a king, yet he tells the peasants that we need to cut back and sacrifice. That is hypocrisy.

I burn about half a gallon of gas a day, on average, I just don't have very far to drive normally. How much does he burn in a day? I'll bet it's more than half a gallon. When he consumes less energy than I do he can talk, otherwise he needs to STFU.

And Avatar sucked.

Wow, this again?

Nobody here, yourself included (no offense) seems to have wrapped their heads around the point I was trying to make.

I am not making a comment on whether or not James Cameron is or is not a hypocrite. I am merely saying that nobody here has actually demonstrated with any sort of objective evidence that he is one. The charge against Cameron was:
He says "We're going to have to live with less."
When he says "we," he means us.
Not him, the King of the World.

I simply asked how it is one can show that Cameron is not living with less. That is what Cameron said. "We're going to have to live with less." He did not make any grand overtures about not driving or flying or what have you.

A hypocrite is someone who does not do what he says. So show me how he is not living with less.

Now, you may feel he doesn't have a moral right to speak out until he uses less gas than you do, and that's fine, that's your prerogative and I don't aim to change that.

But simply because you don't like him speaking out doesn't mean that he hasn't done what preaches: living with less.

Again though, he may very well be a hypocrite for all I know. I have no information which would indicate whether he is or is not. My only issue was the lack of objectivity.

And yeah, Avatar did suck. :lol

"And Avatar sucked."

In your opinion. I really dug it. In my opinion it's terrific.

Yes, in my opinion. I should have said that. No offense intended toward anyone who liked it.

jlee562, neither side of this argument will convince the other. We may as well agree to disagree :)

"Yes, in my opinion. I should have said that. No offense intended toward anyone who liked it."

Thanks, Rob. That's really cool of you. And for the record, I completely get why someone would think the movie sucks.

Alan

Wasn't it Sam Goldwyn who said, "If you want to send a message, call Western Union"?

Jeez, Cameron. Make a movie. Entertain me.

I'll make up my own mind about all the other stuff, thank you very much.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back