James Bond YOLT Gyrojet bullets

I believe that the two major problems with the Gyrojet were the long burn time, and the Rube Goldberg ignition system.

Another problem is that, given that it's rocket propelled, the muzzle velocity of the round is very low; it gains speed, kinetic energy, and stopping power with distance (until the propellant is exhausted, of course). It therefore is not a particularly effective weapon at close range.

Another problem is that, given that it's rocket propelled, the muzzle velocity of the round is very low; it gains speed, kinetic energy, and stopping power with distance (until the propellant is exhausted, of course). It therefore is not a particularly effective weapon at close range.

Yes, that is what I meant when I wrote that the ammo had a long burn time, this is because it was a low energy fuel. Besides the Rube Goldberg ignition method, the long burn time contributed to inaccuracy in two ways. The slow acceleration, and the unavoidable natural movements of the person firing the weapon as the projectile exited the barrel. The long burn time after the projectile exited the barrel just magnified any movement of the weapon. There is also the fact that the barrel had no rifling, and the vent ports in the barrel probably didn't help either. Although the vents would make firing the Gyrojet underwater safer because it would allow the water to move away from the rocket easier. I once saw some photos of a Gyrojet with a telescoping barrel! I bet the accuracy on that one was pretty poor.

The Gyrojet was banned from use in hunting because, with the long burn time, if the Hunter missed there was the possibility of the round starting a fire.

There were a number of high energy solid rocket fuels made for the Brilliant Pebbles program back in the 80s. That was needed to accelerate the missile killer to velocity NOW! A fuel that could accelerate that Gyrojet round to speed within a couple of inches would make it a very viable weapon. Although I don't know if Uncle Sam would allow a manufacturer to market one, the Government always disliked the Gyrojet.

David.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back