James Bond: Skyfall

And "British" doesn't even begin to cover it. Within England itself, you've got RP (a.k.a. "BBC English"), west country accents, estuarial accents, northern accents (Geordie, Yorkshire, etc.).

It's as varied as here in the states where, for example, a New York accent doesn't sound the same as a Boston accent or a Philly accent or a Baltimore accent. And that's just bits of the northeast corridor, not even touching on the range of southern accents here in the states.

But anyway, yes, to American ears, "mum" and "ma'am" are nearly indistinguishable.

Personally, I always thought Bond was saying "ma'am," but now that I have the blu-ray, I suppose I could just skip to that scene and turn on subtitles...

Mine is westcountry via London with 10 years in Baltimore added in.:lol

Old thread I know, but simply put, 'mum' is the equivilant of the American 'mom'. When adressing the queen ('your majesty' in the first instance - after that it's 'ma'am') it's ma'am', as in 'ham', 'Sam', etc. It's a definite no-no to call her 'ma'am' using the 'palm' analogy. 'Ma'am' has nothing to do with 'mum'. 'Ma'am' is simply a contracted form of 'Madam'.

Last edited:
Old thread I know, but simply put, 'mum' is the equivilant of the American 'mom'. When adressing the queen ('your majesty' in the first instance - after that it's 'ma'am') it's ma'am', as in 'ham', 'Sam', etc. It's a definite no-no to call her 'ma'am' using the 'palm' analogy. 'Ma'am' has nothing to do with 'mum'. 'Ma'am' is simply a contracted form of 'Madam'.

That was my feeling as well. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back