Jaeger Pilot suit - Pacific Rim

great job i'm trying the same suit (the white one) out of eva too, but i'm working with a thinner foam. i might switch to the same thickness as you if it doesn't look right or maybe a mixture. but i'm still in the middle of it. i personally think the freehand and working off screen images works better for me than the files. since the foam can take shape and needs less cuts. anyways. looking forward to see your finished product.

Thanks to who comments and likes the thread :D
I've a stupid question, now i've done some pieces but i want to do measurements for being able to draw the project, which is the right way?
I mean... re-do the exacts lines and forms on computer, how can I proceed? Any idea?
(sorry for my really bad english)

Maybe you could use a picture of your piece and load it as a background in gimp or photoshop and use line art or vector drawing? I think to re make the patterns on the computer (not really a Photoshop/Gimp master)

also, does anyone have any good reference pictures of the shins thighs and forearm armour?

Last edited:
It's coming out nicely Edoardo. Sometimes you have to go freehand. I personally still have to make patterns.. but I freehand my patterns and cut it out of the plastic and then fuse the plastic I use onto it like layers and carve some of it down. Some of it I will heat and form the plastic like this piece.
Blades of the Phoenix Armor by teranmx on deviantART
But keep it going. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I personally will not be able to make this for myself as we discussed last time. I have a creature to build for my first feature film. But if you go back to shaping any parts with pvc plastic or other.. just ask I will try to help you out.
Just realize.. no matter what you make it out of.. it is your paint job that will dictate it's success. Keep on Experimenting. =) I will definitely be watching this thread.

I loved this movie, too. I was working at Legacy two summers ago when they were building these. I had no idea what they would be, but let me tell you, they were beautiful!!! The paint work and metal effects were perfection.

I have an idea - I'd love to make these suits to offer on my website - anyone want to collaborate? I'd be willing to offer finished pieces in exchange for contributions like 3D modeling, printing, R&D, patterns, etc. Anyone interested?

Hey guys, with your permission Edoardo, I made this one for that suit

This is the link of the file...
Jaeger Pilot Helmet by SmookCMb

JP-helmet.jpg
jaeger pilot helmet by smookcmb.jpg

Thanks to who comments and likes the thread :D
I've a stupid question, now i've done some pieces but i want to do measurements for being able to draw the project, which is the right way?
I mean... re-do the exacts lines and forms on computer, how can I proceed? Any idea?
(sorry for my really bad english)

Take a photo as straight on as you can and then you can load it into Adobe Illustrator as a template and trace on top with the line or pen tools. You can then straighten out any edges and correct cuts and angles

Edoardo the work you are doing is really fantastic. This suit has become some what of an obsession for me lately. I want to make one so badly and I think you have inspired me to delve further into this build. I will share any relevant information I come up with. Keep up the good work, I am quite excited to see the finished product.

I had trouble opening Grenex's file, so I unfolded the chest piece myself. Working on the back next! Here you go! It's not the most beautiful layout, but you're going to have to scale it anyway, which will require you to rearrange pieces again afterward. I simply laid it out so it would make sense which edges attach to which other edges.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d257a5ulgqzj7w/Jaeger Suit - Chest - model by edWRd unfold by Sector6.pdo

Screenshot 2014-05-24 15.22.25.png

Edit: Here's the unfold for the back. The model is a bit confusing because the separate areas of the back armor don't have connecting tabs. They are self contained sections and you will have to glue them together after assembly. This actually makes it easier for me, as I'm vacuu-forming my armor, but more complicated if you're doing yours in foam. I may come back to post a foam unfold later. Again, not the prettiest layout, but I've grouped pieces based on where they belong on the finished armor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q0ibb3cv3z27tg/Jaeger Suit - Back - model by edWRd unfold by Sector6.pdo

Screenshot 2014-05-25 10.03.52.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back