is this realy an original screen used saber?

Wow.
If it is legit, then I guess it would be my Holy Grail of props as that scene was the one where I said "I'd LOVE a model of that saber." thus the seed was laid for my collecting.
Dang that'd be cool to get....

This is interesting:

"We made many pieces for Star Wars, including Luke's new lightsaber for Return of the Jedi. This was hand-turned and milled in our workshop with Ralph McQuarrie and Norman Reynolds in attendance.

We made six in all, including two very special "gadget" ones which were used in the original opening scenes where Luke is making his new lightsaber under Obi-Wans guidance in his cave.

Although filmed, these scenes were never used, leaving fans wondering why Luke's saber had suddenly changed. Obviously he lost his in the battle with Darth Vader at the end of Empire Strikes Back, so he modelled his new one on his masters as Jedi apprentices do. We still have these, they are part of our archive."

Buyer beware, IMO.

Admittedly we don't really know much about what went on with the props in the OT, but there's a lot in the description that doesn't entirely mesh with what we HAVE heard.

I don't follow the Luke ROTJ that closely, but is there any prior evidence that any of the Luke ROTJ props were machined for the movie rather than leftover shared Obi stunts? I suppose by ROTJ LFL wasn't doing things on the cheap, so it makes sense that new props would have been made.

But in the game of high-priced film props I think it pays to search for integration with known facts.

Originally posted by NEKROFANATIC@Jan 12 2006, 12:29 PM
Its Elstree...Thats legit enough for me
[snapback]1157245[/snapback]​
Ohhh no no no, if only it were that simple. There's plenty of evidence that people in positions like this are capable of, uh, being mistaken shall we say? ;)

Thats a resin copy of the Hero. I know some members here have resin copies of the original... I doubt its original.

The metal one pictured hardly seems accurate, contorl box and pommel cubes are not quite right. Seems strange to hand turn 6 identical sabers from metal, when you could simply resin cast your best.

I'm not convinced.

it would be a big gamble to shed £1000 without any form of COA even the one bidder has a private feedback ?

Originally posted by incrediPAUL@Jan 12 2006, 10:52 PM
Thats a resin copy of the Hero. I know some members here have resin copies of the original... I doubt its original.

The metal one pictured hardly seems accurate, contorl box and pommel cubes are not quite right. Seems strange to hand turn 6 identical sabers from metal, when you could simply resin cast your best.

I'm not convinced.
[snapback]1157308[/snapback]​

well here's a little food for thought

the scenes shot (sail barge exteriors and the Sarlaac in ROTJ) where shot in Yuma Arizona, so why make a prop in the UK, just to ship it all the way over to the US when they could easily be cast at the ILM model shop and driven over to Yuma with the rest of the crew, especially if they needed multiples to be shot out of R2s head

as a matter of fact, the ROTJ creature shop was in CA, and they shipped the masks puppets etc. to the UK (this is documented on the Making of ROTJ doc)

It doesn't make any sense that this prop would end up in the UK

I think it's a scam

and btw, why would Elstree Studios have an ebay ID that uses leet?

It's legit....Norman Reynolds made the sabers for ROTJ. The studio shots were completed at Elstree so the props were made there, just as in the previous films. The FX shots were completed at ILM in CA. Maybe slow motion screen captures might show similiarities....

:cheers,

Thomas

Originally posted by incrediPAUL@Jan 12 2006, 05:52 PM

I'm not convinced.
[snapback]1157308[/snapback]​

If it's resin then yes it's a copy of the hero metal saber. But if it's screen used then it's an original stunt saber from ROTJ.

And that's what they did for the prequels...made fewer heros and more resin copies...

:cheers,

Thomas

I know Jabba's palace was shot at Elstree, and I think the sail barge interiors, but again, the exteriors (and artoo on the deck of the sail barge was definitely an exterior shot) were filmed in Yuma, so again, why ship it to the UK after the Yuma shoot was done?

If they said it was the saber Luke threw on the floor in the death star, I'd be inclined to buy that, but the R2 launched one...

Originally posted by franz bolo@Jan 12 2006, 08:16 PM
This is interesting:

"We made many pieces for Star Wars, including Luke's new lightsaber for Return of the Jedi. This was hand-turned and milled in our workshop with Ralph McQuarrie and Norman Reynolds in attendance.

We made six in all, including two very special "gadget" ones which were used in the original opening scenes where Luke is making his new lightsaber under Obi-Wans guidance in his cave.

Although filmed, these scenes were never used, leaving fans wondering why Luke's saber had suddenly changed. Obviously he lost his in the battle with Darth Vader at the end of Empire Strikes Back, so he modelled his new one on his masters as Jedi apprentices do. We still have these, they are part of our archive."
[snapback]1157236[/snapback]​
Franz, did you actually work on stuff for the movie, if so , what? do you have any keepsakes or photos etc, sorry if this is going of topic, i just think its cool if you worked on stuff for the film
Mark

you can not get more authentic than a COA and a day at Elstree to take photos and be shown around, *****, let me win the lottery please :love

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Jan 12 2006, 05:22 PM
Franz, did you actually work on stuff for the movie, if so , what? do you have any keepsakes or photos etc, sorry if this is going of topic, i just think its cool if you worked on stuff for the film
Mark
[snapback]1157381[/snapback]​

Oh No, I got that from the auction description...

I thought it was interesting info. I put it in quotes, but should have specified a little more.

Sorry

FB

They are located at Elstree and use the name, but I believe at the time they were called Norank.
They've sold many pieces in recent years and several supposedly original pieces looked questionable to me. They have sold replicas in the past too (labeled as such, not passed off as originals). Honestly I don't trust them just because of their name.
I do however think this one looks real. Its a resin stunt cast from the Hero which Norank did make. The thick and thin grip rings match. The props were made in England because that's where most of the movie was made. All the stuff shot in Yuma was after filming wrapped in England so of course they brought most of the props back to CA.
From the auction desciption it seems one of the UK prop guys was on set in Yuma and saved this one as a souvenir.

The R2 saber is the only stunt I recall seeing without an emitter hole which always struck me as odd. This saber prop does match it.

I'd say it's legit.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back