Is the Space Pope reptilian? - Finished pics up!

Re: Is the Space Pope reptilian?

Awesome! I'm definitely in to see it finished. Loving the originality!

Awesome! I'm definitely in to see it finished. Loving the originality!
Originality is one way of putting it, obscure is another! I guess I like making stuff nobody else really has :p

Waw, that's not an easy costume, looking good so far!
Thanks! I confess it's much easier for me to make this kind of thing than armour or sculpted pieces though. :)

~~

So, progress! I've been sewing seams. They're all handsewn with ladder stitch, then to blend them in a bit I simply ran a pin up and down the seam line. I must say I'm loving this fleece so much - four way stretch with a muppety pile - amazing stuff.

PopeHead1.jpgPopeHead3.jpgPopeHead4.jpg

Attachments

• PopeHead2.jpg
    PopeHead2.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 127

Progress! Yaaaaaaay! *kermit arms*

So yeah. Sewed up the seams, glued up the face, drybrushed on some detail and disguised the vision ports a bit. Not too shabby. Also did a little detailing on the hands and feet so they match.
Got the teeth in the oven right now curing and as soon as they're cool I'll paint 'em, seal 'em and finish the inside of the mouth with some felt and some mesh to hide my face. Can't use the silicone tongue I bought for it since it's waaaaay too long so I'll make one from felt. You won't really see it anyway, so it's not hugely important.

View attachment 403132View attachment 403133View attachment 403136View attachment 403137View attachment 403138

Now... robes!
Considering making a sort of top half body pod to hide my luscious lady lumps. There are a lot of lumps to hide.

Right! Head's complete except for the hat. Added teeth, inner mouth and tongue and a neck piece. Loving it!

Popeheadcomplete3.jpgPopeheadcomplete2.jpgPopeheadcomplete1.jpgPopeheadcomplete4.jpgPopeheadcomplete5.jpg

Thanks, I'm loving how he's coming out :)

Speaking of, here's a preview of the pope hat! Huzzah for vliesofix, handsewing and swearing. Still need the red dot things, not sure if I want to paint them, use cabochons or do something else. If I get desperate I'll smoosh some sculpey into the holes in a palette, paint it and call it a day.

PopeHatPreview.jpg
'scuse the random housemate hand. She seems to like photobombing this guy.

Screenshot for comparison:
SpacePope4.jpg

Last edited:

Finished up the head and hat. Yay!

PopeHeadFinished.jpg
Those stupid little red things caused me much more trouble than they should have... Seriously, why is it always the tiny little unimportant things that end up being the most annoying and time consuming? This has to be a thing for other people, not just me :p
I ended up finding a stuffed toy eye that I liked the shape of, making a silicone mould and casting resin copies, priming and painting and coating. Took longer than making the hat, if you include paint drying time. Heh.

This weekend is robe making time.

Morbo shall be satisfied! Only managed to make the pope robe's understructure on the weekend due to my back being screwed, but I've got the pattern sorted and it's being done slowly.

On another note I totally want to make Morbo, but I'm the wrong shape. Might do it anyway!

Right! So close to completion now. I've cut everything, the red top part of the robes is done, the applique is complete and the belt is pleated. Now it's all just assembly!
Hoping to have the whole kit and kaboodle together in a few days. Finished photos then :)

Wow. Incredible work! I can't wait to see the finished costume. Do you have any recommendations for a transparent satiny black fabric? I am currently working (very slowly) of No - Face from spirited away, and will see through the body. Thanks and have an amazing time at Cons!

P.S. use an MP3 player with a speaker and introduce yourself with the "Thuuue SPACE POPE!" jingle. You will certainly be well respected by other cosplayers.

Great Work!

Wow. Incredible work! I can't wait to see the finished costume. Do you have any recommendations for a transparent satiny black fabric? I am currently working (very slowly) of No - Face from spirited away, and will see through the body. Thanks and have an amazing time at Cons!

P.S. use an MP3 player with a speaker and introduce yourself with the "Thuuue SPACE POPE!" jingle. You will certainly be well respected by other cosplayers.

Great Work!

Hahaha! That's a fantastic idea! I'll have to rig it up on my phone or something!

Fabric, fabric. Well, you're in luck, because you can see through most normal fabrics pretty well, especially if they're black. I'd go to the fabric store, drape some over your head and test how well you can see through different fabrics! Might be useful to have someone with you to tell you if they can see you through it too, as when using too-transparent fabrics camera flash often goes right through and reveals whatever is behind them. You should be fine with a medium weight drapey fabric (the drape helps keep it close to your face, the closer it is to your eyes the better the vision), just see what works for you and stay away from chiffons unless you're layering them up a lot.
Hope that helps!

I'm doing what will hopefully be the final Space Pope assembly this afternoon so I'll have photos of the finished suit up as soon as I can get my housemate to snap a few shots :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back