Is screen-used collecting a small hobby?

DeathAngel

Hi guys, I was just curious if the hobby of collecting screen used items was small.

I can see it being a niche hobby, but with all the things people collect nowadays, I also can see this hobby having a massive fan base.

I can't find that many places on the internet that support screen used discussions. Interestingly enough, there are plenty of movie replica and movie collectible forums out there. But like I said, when it comes to actual costumes and props, not so much. :confused

So if it truly is small, then what are your guy's opinions on why that is...

Is it due to cost? Other factors?

Even though it is small, the community is the largest it has been since I started collecting in the mid 70's.

Cost and not knowing where to buy or that you COULD buy Screen-Used Props all factor in why the hobby is so small

It's also the costs involved. Costume and prop building in itself is already a huge expense. Trying to buy a decent screen used item, especially from a big hit movie can run very high into the the thousands, which most are auction based to begin with. Even then, the people with that kind of money to toss around you won't normally see posting here or elsewhere.

It's kinda sad, really....

and not knowing where to buy or that you COULD buy Screen-Used Props all factor in why the hobby is so small

Yeah, I didn't know there were places like Propstore or Screenused until just fairly recently. I did know a few years back that New Line Cinema held auctions for screen used items via their website but that was about it.

It's also the costs involved. Costume and prop building in itself is already a huge expense. Trying to buy a decent screen used item, especially from a big hit movie can run very high into the the thousands, which most are auction based to begin with. Even then, the people with that kind of money to toss around you won't normally see posting here or elsewhere.

It's kinda sad, really....

It is very sad. These forums move a little slow compared to the ones I'm used to but that's okay. It would be great though to somehow be able to push some more life into these forums if you know what I mean.

Hi guys, I was just curious if the hobby of collecting screen used items was small.

i wouldnt consider it small....i would consider it a large group....just as large or maybe larger then the replica prop community

i think one of the main differences is privacy. A lot of screen-used collectors I have come across are very private and like to remain anonymous. they dont like to get hassled about their items about people asking for photo references etc etc....

a lot of these screenused collectors are rich business men that dont have time to socialize....

For me, cost is a huge factor. I'm not one of these rich businessmen as EvilRocketeer pointed out. I prefer the obscure so items tend to be less expensive. Those people would probably rather buy the X-Wing cockpit targeting scanner or something more iconic. I don't need to show off; it's just for me. If screen used is not obtainable, I have no problem with a replica off the original mold.

Screen used collecting is a small niche market for a few reasons. A lot of money is spent on high end pieces but still I doubt more than a 1000 or 2000 people spend more than $1,000 to $2,000 a year on screen used props year in year out. Probably far more people spend 1000 a year on collecting toys, comic books or even posters. Also some people just can't get used to buying items that look like crap just to have something from their favorite movie if its just a stunt piece.

I imagine some people get some items from their favorite production and just get no more. Others get items selectively and display them.
Its not like comic books where some try to amass complete runs or as many as they can get. Also you have no idea what is out there. Screen used items do have a lot of crossover collecting opportunities too. From screen used comic books, to props from video game movies, screen used prop poosters, money, even baseball cards. Yet traditional collectors often pay screen used items no mind. In video games for example a nintendo world championship contest cart can sell for $5,000 and over 100 were made. yet the same people that woudl buy that would not think at all about buying a prop suit used in super mario brothers the movie or something even though its far rarer.

Except for original art and those types of collectibles, every other collecting fields items are quite common. So common people demand the best condition at the higher level items. Even the rare honus wagner baseball card that sells for hundreds of thousands or millions depending on condition here are 20 to 50 out there. Lots of props only less than 10 were made. So its a different mindset in screen used collecting.

Also you can't just go in a store or buy whatever you want at any time. In other fields except paintings and original art you can almost do that.
If you don't care about the condition you can ask around and find almost any comic book for sale to buy right now. can't do that with props. You just have to wait and see what comes for sale.

Also with screen used items its more complicated you have to deal with backup items, prototypes, items from cut scenes. No one in baseball card or comic book collecting is worried about comic books from the original printer plates being printed on the side for valuable comic books or baseball cards. Perhaps they should be but they aren't.
With props it is an issue.

Screen used collecting is a small niche market for a few reasons. A lot of money is spent on high end pieces but still I doubt more than a 1000 or 2000 people spend more than $1,000 to $2,000 a year on screen used props year in year out. Probably far more people spend 1000 a year on collecting toys, comic books or even posters. Also some people just can't get used to buying items that look like crap just to have something from their favorite movie if its just a stunt piece.

I imagine some people get some items from their favorite production and just get no more. Others get items selectively and display them.
Its not like comic books where some try to amass complete runs or as many as they can get. Also you have no idea what is out there. Screen used items do have a lot of crossover collecting opportunities too. From screen used comic books, to props from video game movies, screen used prop poosters, money, even baseball cards. Yet traditional collectors often pay screen used items no mind. In video games for example a nintendo world championship contest cart can sell for $5,000 and over 100 were made. yet the same people that woudl buy that would not think at all about buying a prop suit used in super mario brothers the movie or something even though its far rarer.

Except for original art and those types of collectibles, every other collecting fields items are quite common. So common people demand the best condition at the higher level items. Even the rare honus wagner baseball card that sells for hundreds of thousands or millions depending on condition here are 20 to 50 out there. Lots of props only less than 10 were made. So its a different mindset in screen used collecting.

Also you can't just go in a store or buy whatever you want at any time. In other fields except paintings and original art you can almost do that.
If you don't care about the condition you can ask around and find almost any comic book for sale to buy right now. can't do that with props. You just have to wait and see what comes for sale.

Also with screen used items its more complicated you have to deal with backup items, prototypes, items from cut scenes. No one in baseball card or comic book collecting is worried about comic books from the original printer plates being printed on the side for valuable comic books or baseball cards. Perhaps they should be but they aren't.
With props it is an issue.

Great detailed point firstmark! You sound like you hit the nail on the head. It all makes sense and I wasn't even thinking about the fact that with screen used, you get what you get when it's available.

Hopefully that becomes part of the fun for me. When something does become available, it's great feeling being able to secure it for your collection. :cool

I'm already happy and feel lucky I've got what I got on order. I don't know if I'll ever see anything similar go up for sale again...

Part of the fun for me is NOT knowing what might be the next thing we buy. In the toy collecting, even the high end prototype stuff I'm into, there's still a pretty good idea of what is out there, what exists. Every once in awhile something completely new and unexpected will surface, but not very often.

With props it's different though. I don't think I'll ever really know what the next piece we're going to buy is. You just watch and scan and have to be prepared to jump when it's the right piece. To me, there is some excitement to that.

Cj

Part of the fun for me is NOT knowing what might be the next thing we buy. In the toy collecting, even the high end prototype stuff I'm into, there's still a pretty good idea of what is out there, what exists. Every once in awhile something completely new and unexpected will surface, but not very often.

With props it's different though. I don't think I'll ever really know what the next piece we're going to buy is. You just watch and scan and have to be prepared to jump when it's the right piece. To me, there is some excitement to that.

Cj

Agreed Cj!

When you find a piece that speaks to you, you have to be ready to jump on it. After all, they can't make more of a screen used item once filming is over now can they?

By amassing complete runs of things for props I mean you don't have a good guide list to go back like you do for other areas of collecting. you can try to gather all of a certain type of prop but you still dont know what all is out there so no list to work with unlike other collectibles in many instances. Sometimes I see a prop thats neat but can't get the movie or tv show to watch before the item is sold easily. And if you can't its best not to pay a lot otherwise you might have a surprise when you see the item you have is not in the actual movie or looks "different"

With toy prototypes at least you generally know waht it is, its not generally made like a normal toy in the same packaging. With props you are like hmm this prop gun is painted a different color is this a variant I can't see on screen, a prototype, from a cut scene or the weapon master? often you just can't be sure. And just because someone from the production says one thing doesen't mean its so necessarily, they forget and confuse things.

I think in general collectible fields if the item is not known and part of a list collectors don't know to want it and its not deemed valuable. that often is how things work. Now is it interesting how a prop weapon can sell for one price yet the mold to make it which is even more rare often almost no one would want it. In toys prototypes generally more valuable than final product, with props prototypes are less valuable than what you see on screen. With prop prototype items you don't know if its for the movie, a licensed item, or just someones fan creation often. hard to tell.

There is little to compare price wise for some prop items. "standad" items common in a movie like starship troopers rifles you can get an idea what they sell for. But obscure items only used briefly are often not worth much compared to items made in far greater quantity that are more visible "on screen"

I have started to collect toy space guns. Ironically all the rarer pre 1970 guns there is a wealth of information about what was made. Stuff made after that except that is movie or tv themed there is no list. Not working with a list with toy guns is like collecting props blind in a way. Well I have pieced an idea of what exists in certain categories still new variations and weird stuff will just show up.

Also some people just can't get used to buying items that look like crap just to have something from their favorite movie if its just a stunt piece.

This is what happened to me the first time I saw Luke's Return of the Jedi lightsaber in a museum. I thought that's it? It doesn't look real. I could see paint and stuff. I ended up getting the V2 from Master Replicas which I'm very pleased with. But I get how props were made for films back then.

The second time I was interested in screen used items was the big Star Trek auction with two catalogs. I thought, they are really selling this stuff?! I wasn't ready at all. But if I had the money I would have tried for one of the Enterprise models. That's historic stuff.

The closest I've come to purchasing a screen used item is Eden's jacket from Doomsday. It was relatively low priced. But there were a few of them and no telling which was worn by Rhona Mitra. So I let that go.

I think licensed replicas are fine. Especially if they are well made and accurate. Or as accurate as can be since I read about LucasFilm I think not wanting items to be 100% accurate so people don't try to claim it's screen used.

I completely understand the point of wanting a piece without flaws in a collection, but for me it's also the legacy that a piece has attached to it that' a big factor. With that being said, I'd rather not have a piece that's in a complete and utter mess, but paint scuffs or scratch marks, etc add to the proof that a piece has a legacy that goes beyond that of a mere replica.

Not to knock replicas, because I've seen gorgeous pieces made by both companies and fans alike.

To me it's the option of either owning a copy of Luke's lightsaber, or owning Luke's actual lightsaber that pushes it over the edge.

Though a replica will appear more how you envision his in your head. So there is that too.

unlike most I often prefer the beat to hell rubber stunt prop. Replicas usually are not going to be made of rubber and if someone was trying to pass off a replica as original they made they would aim to sell it as a higher end piece usually.
A Beat up prop helps insure the item was used in the production versus a shiny backup that set on a box just in case. Rubber stunts are usually cheaper too. But even with rubber stunts you run into situations sometimes where extras were made and painted up later. Nice resin prop just too easy to make a cast and it be a replica.

I completely understand the point of wanting a piece without flaws in a collection, but for me it's also the legacy that a piece has attached to it that' a big factor. With that being said, I'd rather not have a piece that's in a complete and utter mess, but paint scuffs or scratch marks, etc add to the proof that a piece has a legacy that goes beyond that of a mere replica.

Not to knock replicas, because I've seen gorgeous pieces made by both companies and fans alike.

To me it's the option of either owning a copy of Luke's lightsaber, or owning Luke's actual lightsaber that pushes it over the edge.

Though a replica will appear more how you envision his in your head. So there is that too.

Well to add to the Luke's lightsaber thing. The one I saw had the gold on the tip of the emitter. And that wasn't how I remembered it either. I remembered the one sitting on the Emperor's throne.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back