Ironman MARK 6/7 - UK BASED

thomassmalley

Hi
Looking around the internet, seeing the the designs and builds, i have decided to start my own

Mostly been inspired by stealth (on youtube) and his build mainly as he makes it look so easy Obviously i wanna put my own tweaks on the design

I have decided i am going to make the suit out of EVA foam so it will be comforable to wear and i dont really want to get into fibreglassing it all

As i am based in the uk, i have stuggled finding places for all the material etc but i think i am doing well do far, i have started on the helmet by printing out the templates for the foam suit, waiting to grab some scrap card board so i can do a tester first

But i was wondering if anyone has advice with the build/ advice with making sure the suit my body size ?

Any help will be great throught the build :)

Discovered that the above method only works with all the parts have the same 3d positioning but i can use this method for the suit just not the helmet/neck and hands.

Looking to do a cardboard sample of the helmet and neck this weekend

i have order parts to make and arc reactor mark3 - i would like to thank stealth for helpful tutorial

i will update images soon

Printed templates out , but were really small

realised that templates were too small, then thought I did click for the size to change when printing stupid me

did alittle bit it look great will try to put images up later

Where did you get the eva foam from in the uk ? I'm just contemplating making my own iron man costume also for my eldest for Xmas hope to get it finished by then lol

best foam ive found in the uk is 6mm camping mat foam just brought 6 rolls off ebay for £20 which is cheap considering one roll in camping shop costs nearly £12 :S I can make roughly two helmets from one roll of foam and use whats left for some other smaller parts just to give you an idea :D

Tryed making a test helmet last nice out of cardboard from templates printed
GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment12.jpg

Worked out alittle small and not to scale...

... realised it was because of the way it was printed had to change it to a pdf files and scaled the templates to the printer ...DUh!!

wrong move, printing them out again to see about sizeing going to try and get cardboard from local shop so i dont have to pay for it

will keep everyone updated

I personally would have gone with 3mm or 4mm foam, as this will, once covered in three coats of PVA Glue and one or two coats of resin , will be hard enough and heavy enough, thicker foam will need more coatings and therefore be considerably more heavier . You'll need an undersuit and some method of fixing the pieces to yourself, a body harness , straps , webbing & velcro are the usual methods , one person has gone so far as to build a simple exo-suit , in any case it must be able to support the suit , allow free movement etc I think if you make the whole suit out of 10 mm foam its going to be too heavy to wear for any long period this from walking around dressed as a Stormtrooper - you sweat like a p*g!! and Ironman wears more armour !!

I personally would have gone with 3mm or 4mm foam, as this will, once covered in three coats of PVA Glue and one or two coats of resin , will be hard enough and heavy enough, thicker foam will need more coatings and therefore be considerably more heavier . You'll need an undersuit and some method of fixing the pieces to yourself, a body harness , straps , webbing & velcro are the usual methods , one person has gone so far as to build a simple exo-suit , in any case it must be able to support the suit , allow free movement etc I think if you make the whole suit out of 10 mm foam its going to be too heavy to wear for any long period this from walking around dressed as a Stormtrooper - you sweat like a p*g!! and Ironman wears more armour !!

thanks i will keep that in mind starting to do a cardboard test on the helmet tonight, if it works i will have to look more into getting the foam, where dod you get yours from ? i might get the 3mm foam as the lighter the better really

will keep you posted

made card board helmet didn't turn out as good as I thought

order my foam 3mm thick as advice from Propsjonnyb

out to get card today to make better templates

off to get finishing tools to mark my are reactor for it

so that should be completed by today

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of sources on the internet look for craft foam , just make sure its EVA foam . look ing art your photo the card stock might be a little thicker, you need something around 165lb weight or 280, to 300gsm the higher the weight or gsm the thicker the card.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back