Iron man Trashcan Build

chimmera30

Hey All Just to start, I would Love to get this post rolling by showing everyone the progress that I have finished over the last 3 weeks. My hope is that other builders can help address the issue and struggles that are involved with this build,which may help others in the future.

So here are a few pic and let me know what you guys think,please be kind, this is my first time attempting to build anything with rubbermaid trash cans!
Cheers all
/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02066.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02080.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02078.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02076.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02075.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02084.JPG085.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02072.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02071.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02073.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02074.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02051.JPG/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC0/Users/garymurrin/Desktop/DSC02081.JPG2082.JPG

hey i would love to see pics but you have to host them online like on photobucket,
then copy the IMG code and paste it here.

good luck!

DSC02080.jpg
DSC02068.jpg
DSC02067.jpg
DSC02045.jpg

Ok lol,not to hard to tell Im a noob,Thanks for the heads up On how to post pics!
Here are a few of the chest

Very good start!
looks much better than my first iron man suit.

the arc reactor (which looks awesome) needs to be more recessed in the chest.
its sticking out too much

and if you want to improve the over all shape...i am going to regret saying this but you could actually take a look on youtube for Anthony Le, he does a decent Trash can iron man.....

Here is the progress with the arms so far!!
DSC02072.jpg
DSC02071.jpg

So far they Provide pretty good Range of motion, but i need to find a way to cushion against all the rivet ends,maybe glue foam inside or maybe just silicone the tips. If anyone knows Of a better way I would love to hear:)

Did you finish your Iron Man armor? I know you've been really busy with your Iron Monger armor and posted some Iron Man pics there. I was just curious.

Also, I wanted to ask how you design your armors? Is it all just free artistic interpretation with an amazing eye for putting together pieces of cut up plastic, or are the pieces cut around a template/unfolded pep design? And how do you plan out the sizing of the armor to ensure it fits properly?

If it's a secret technique then you don't have to divulge anything. I've been trying to figure out how to design my own armor but I have very little to no artistic ability.

Basically I make a few pieces at a time on templates,using card stock or cardboard,constantly adjusting and fitting them. Using a homemade mannequin I made from duct tape with my measurements. My Iron amn is not finished but I will return to it.
Manix anything else you need let me know:)

Thanks. I guess first I should assemble a mannequin for whichever route I go about. And here I thought that would be the last step just to display my finished armor when not wearing it! :lol I'm just not sure which method to go about constructing my own armor. I think I've seen a tutorial for the method you're using of making a design via cardboard and then cutting it out of trashcans and fastening with rivets. Do you use a heat gun to better shape the plastic pieces or just use the rivets to hold them in place?

My method is to draw the shapes on the cardboard,then trace that template onto the trashcan,cut it out,and I will use the heat gun if a particular curve is need for the design. I know alot of people are worried that the rivets will come out but I solve problem at the end of my build by adding extra rivets with washers in various areas,this makes the costume much more secure:) Best thing about the trashcan method is if you screw up just add another piece of trashcan,easy sauce. I find its easiest to start on the chest, and work outward! Just make sure you keep fitting the armor for your body,and add small section to keep it accurate.
Again anything you need let me know ,Ill help anyway I can.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll start up my own thread since I don't want to thread-jack yours talking about my plans for a build. Thanks for the inspiration to finally start to move forward with this.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back