Iron Man Stained Glass Helmet

ammclane

I wanted to take a moment and share my latest creation. Obviously by the title, I have left the Star Wars Universe (Boba Fett Helmet was my first Glass Lamp creation) and created an Iron Man Stained Glass Helmet Desk Lamp.

As with the first helmet, I tried to keep it as close to wearable size as possible - though in this case it didn't quite work (though my son might be able to wear it if the neckline wasn't so constricted).

It was a big challenge for me, especially with the differing shape and not using a foam preform to work off of.

Anyway, I wanted to share and I welcome any and all comments!

Mike

Ironmanright.jpg

Ironmanfront.jpg

Ironmanleft.jpg

Ironmanleftb.jpg

Ironmanoff.jpg

Now THAT is something cool and different! Well done man!

....though, I don't fancy trying to wear something made of glass LOL!

Looking at this makes me feel...

lightheaded :lol

I was scrolling down.. .down... down... and then I finally got the joke and spit tea all over my computer.. :lol

Amazing concept by the way. It is truly unique.
Can you share the basic idea of how to make one of these stain glass lamps? What do you use in between the pieces to hold everything together?

Last edited:
Can you share the basic idea of how to make one of these stain glass lamps? What do you use in between the pieces to hold everything together?

Usual stained glass technique involves either a) applying a self-sticking copper foil to the edges of the glass, and soldering over it or b) using lead came (a term for an "H" shaped extruded lead bar). From the look of the antiqued copper between the pieces, I'm guessing tape.

You're going to need a support shape under the glass pieces as you assemble them.

Thanks for the comments. As for the ideas as to what to do next, I have a long list of ideas (Rocketeer helmet is one of them).

I use the tiffany technique of stained glass work. The basic process is I cut a piece of glass to the shape I want to use and then I wrap the edge with copper foil. I then hold it into the location, add a flux, and solder the piece to the edges of the other pieces around it. Once the entire helmet is built up I darkened all of the solder with a blackening patina.

Usual stained glass technique involves either a) applying a self-sticking copper foil to the edges of the glass, and soldering over it or b) using lead came (a term for an "H" shaped extruded lead bar). From the look of the antiqued copper between the pieces, I'm guessing tape.

You're going to need a support shape under the glass pieces as you assemble them.

Yes, it is copper tape.

And actually I didn't use a support shape under this helmet (I did for the Fett Helmet). I added one piece at a time and built up the shape under self support. It was really a learning experience for me.

Very cool, just what every desk needs! Out of curiosity, if you were to sell one, what would the cost look like?

I have been giving the selling thing some thought as I now am more comfortable with my capabilities. Based on time and material costs something like this helmet would be @$700. There is little out there to compare against, but the few stained glass sculptures I have found of similar size are usually over $1000.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back