Iron Man Build - Looking for some advice...

ScottMU

Hi there,

My wife and I have been toying with the idea of building an Iron Man costume and are going to go down the EVA foam method. We are pretty confident with how to use the Pepakura files to assemble armour parts etc. but have a couple of other questions before we start.

1) Which costume MK would be an easier one to build to start off with as we haven't attempted anything like this before. Is there a suit that is perhaps easier and less complicated to assemble than others?

2) Are there any useful tips you could give me on how to create bends in the EVA foam i.e. for the Helmet. Also how thick should the foam be ideally? Also where I pretty much know how pepakura works and how to assemble the various parts I am unsure on how to attach all the pieces together i.e. how to attach the top half of the arms to the bottom half at the elbow in order to allow me to bend my joints in it and should we add velcro elements or anything in order to be able to wear the suit.

3) I've read a few things about prepping a suit for painting but I was wondering what the best method was for getting the best results? A lot of people have stated they used Plasti-dip, PVA etc. but I want to know if I should coat in PVA first then spray with Plasti-dip or do I just need to use one or the other?

4) Are there any decent tutorials a beginner could follow on how to fit the electronics and how much can I expect to pay for the lights etc. to use in the costume.

Thanks guys. I hope to start up a thread detailing the build once we get started.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back