Interest - Cairo Indiana Jones Shirt by KarolianDryGoods Surplus

Egon

Sr Member
Hello all,

I am trying to gather interest and input on my newest shirt in my Surplus Line.

I currently offer a "catch all" Classic Adventure shirt and a V style shirt.

I've been after a good Raiders shirt for awhile, and I have collected shirts from Azuma, WPG, Todd's, Wested, and have sewn several of my own and for other folks.

I love parts of all of them, but wanted to offer something a bit different, like the olive Cairo trousers I offer.

The photos attached are of the Sample I had made with my rep to my "Cairo" specs.

They are a lot lighter in color, and have contrasting tan/olive buttons. They change value quite a bit in different light, like the Raiders shirts did with shadowed shots, and more natural light shots. I tried to photograph the sample in different lighting conditions.

There are other small details that are changed, and I am hoping to offer some expanded sizing on this run.

I am going to have the last button removed to better match the screen used shirts button count, which I've gathered is a sticking point for some collectors/costumers.

They will be done in a small run and run in at about $55.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 881B4EEE-B70C-4454-87F5-63A7E7BB4406.png
    881B4EEE-B70C-4454-87F5-63A7E7BB4406.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 229
  • 3DF2F27C-AEAC-4367-A8AE-1135CB042DF3.png
    3DF2F27C-AEAC-4367-A8AE-1135CB042DF3.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 243
  • 48B91B36-ADB4-4321-B71E-9E7644914DF9.png
    48B91B36-ADB4-4321-B71E-9E7644914DF9.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 213
  • 530BD6C5-B113-4741-AD51-552FEBDA9261.jpeg
    530BD6C5-B113-4741-AD51-552FEBDA9261.jpeg
    866.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 50099A81-8834-4B1F-845F-925D16240B10.jpeg
    50099A81-8834-4B1F-845F-925D16240B10.jpeg
    567.3 KB · Views: 197
  • E34DE10A-80E3-4DC1-96CA-B07B51131301.jpeg
    E34DE10A-80E3-4DC1-96CA-B07B51131301.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 83684DEE-0355-47BB-85E9-772366D5E0DF.png
    83684DEE-0355-47BB-85E9-772366D5E0DF.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 230
I'm very interested in a Cairo specific shirt! Are you going to be able to adjust the layout of the vertical bands (I don't know what the actual term is, sorry) as they run over the shoulders? It seems to effect the relative position of the epaulette button compared to the edges of the vertical bands and the collar seam. Clumsy sketch below...

1665859329751.png

I think the colour of fabric you've tracked down captures the look very well. Pairing an accurate Cairo shirt with your Cairo pants would be a great combo, so I'm looking forward to seeing these! Great work!

These look fantastic. I've been trying to source accurate buttons for a few years now. I'm just as impressed that you found the correct style and color of those just as much as I am with your shirt. Do you sew each of the costume pieces yourself, or do you outsource these when you produce a run?

I'm very interested in a Cairo specific shirt! Are you going to be able to adjust the layout of the vertical bands (I don't know what the actual term is, sorry) as they run over the shoulders? It seems to effect the relative position of the epaulette button compared to the edges of the vertical bands and the collar seam. Clumsy sketch below...

View attachment 1627394

I think the colour of fabric you've tracked down captures the look very well. Pairing an accurate Cairo shirt with your Cairo pants would be a great combo, so I'm looking forward to seeing these! Great work!
Man, this is one of those things that's driven me nuts for years.

I kinda am leaning towards the screen used shirts having had the pleats made at an angle. Starting wider set at the shoulders, and coming in to the pockets, then straight down.

It's hard to tell with the shirt being so worn in, but other shots of screen used shirts make me lean this way too.

I lean this way because of that spacing you've shown at the top, and the relative position of the pockets location between the placket and arm holes.

I don't know anyone with a screen used shirt, but it's possible the Raiders shirts had added pleats, similar to how the TOD looks with the pleats extending from the opening of the pockets down, over the pockets bottom edge, and all the way down.

Long way of saying, I can't on a manufactured shirt. I mean, I *could* direct them this way, but it will bump up costs quite a bit if they agreed to do it.

I am being really specific with them that the epaulets should completely cover the pleats. This position will vary a bit by size, but it won't look like the Skull or Crusade epaulets.

These look fantastic. I've been trying to source accurate buttons for a few years now. I'm just as impressed that you found the correct style and color of those just as much as I am with your shirt. Do you sew each of the costume pieces yourself, or do you outsource these when you produce a run?
Thanks! It is almost impossible to find good buttons for these shirts. These buttons are made for me specifically for these shirts, including their color.

I do offer custom made to order shirts, but these will be in my Surplus line, so factory made.

I created the surplus line to expand a bit, and work with some cool makers (like my upcoming solo gloves)

That's fantastic! I know what you mean. I've been searching for the perfect buttons for years as I too will be making my own Indy shirts for my collection and I've found some I'm happy with but your's look dead on to the real thing. I look forward to seeing these and your Solo gloves. I'm a big fan of your work.

That's fantastic! I know what you mean. I've been searching for the perfect buttons for years as I too will be making my own Indy shirts for my collection and I've found some I'm happy with but your's look dead on to the real thing. I look forward to seeing these and your Solo gloves. I'm a big fan of your work.
Thanks man!

I do honestly think these buttons are maybe a mm too large, but they were made specifically for the shirts. If I could buy them myself in bulk I would .

The thing with doing runs like this is finding a good factory that will work with you and will have abilities to work with other businesses for notions.

This can be a big thing when trying to get samples made, but no business wants to custom make 12 buttons hah.

Vintage military surplus is the best bet without going custom. But you have to hunt ebay for months to find something decent.

Oh absolutely. The closest I could find was out in the middle east and you'd have to buy them by the tens of thousands. Then again that's not feasible for an individual but a large company. Lol

I've searched all kinds of military buttons and military surplus suppliers. Like I said I've got some good ones that look the part but I do sort of love the hunt to fond just the right pieces. Thank you for the insight. I really appreciate it.

I'll watch this thread with great interest.

Okay! I settled on a final color for the Cairo shirts.

The fabric is a bit darker, and cooler in color than the sample. The undertones on the sample seemed to skew a bit warmer.

The final shirts will, design wise, look exactly like the sample, minus the final button.

Now, there are a few details I idealized on the Cairo shirt for the sake of practicality.

These will also have the same tan/olive buttons as on my other shirts. I think the contrast is pretty solid.

I really think these will become a contender for a top pick Raiders shirt.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back