Infinity War: Gamora's Switchblade

Still a long way to go- this is an extremely difficult prop to get right, but here's a w-i-p where the squiggly details have been generated by images of the real (well, CGI) prop:
1567979118365.png

The detail level is so high now that every command I do, like selecting an object, takes the computer 20-60 seconds to react to. (And more complex functions, like cutting parts, can take minutes-to-hours!)

Hopefully I'll have parts in the printer tomorrow for another test (and a junkyard thread up soon).

Another model render that shows off the details. It's not the final model... some tweaks still to be made, like compressing the midsection, but I'm fairly happy with the surface detail overall. It also has the correct taper at the ende and slight convex shape. With a bit of luck, I'll have a first successful "final" print this week.

1568098268841.png

I did a test print of the above file that turned out great, and will post a photo as soon as the paint dries.

Tweaked, final model, of the main body.

1568366702805.png

Really happy overall with how this is turning out. Will update soon with photos of the final printed parts, then start up a thread in the junkyard for an extremely limited number of kits (probably with a buildup option). I'm trying to decide on a paint scheme/method that will really do this prop justice. Each of the jewels is printed separately- some of them are really small!

Molotow chrome base, with a thin layer of Alclad gold candy on top, then 2-part urethane based auto lacquer clear. I wanted a very pale brass color and all the pre-mixed brass or gold shades you find (including the ones from Alclad) are always too dark yellow-orange, and not as shiny. One this gets some nice layered washed of black and dark brown, the extra shine shoudl really make it pop.
1568503403870.png

Jewels were sprayed with Tamiya clear red (you can even brush that stuff on... do it thick enough and it will even out the brush strokes as it dries). Then given two fairly thick clear coats- the final one is the same 2-part auto lacquer. Take about a day to fully cure, but is worth it!

1568503622156.png

Many of the stones are so small, I left them on the sprues while painting:
1568503659245.png

Some more progress. Reprinting the smaller gems for the third time now to make them easier to install.

Now, photos. (Note: I haven't glued the blades in place yet.)
1568630857826.png

1568630885790.png

Main blade gem is printed, the two small ones are clear epoxy glue mixed with a couple drops of paint. Blade was painted gloss black, then slightly scuffed with 400 grit wetsanding paper, then painted with Alclad chrome, then washed with a Citadel Contrast paint, then rubbed with graphite powder that was polished into the blade with a wet cotton swab.
1568630906561.png

Last edited:
it's looking stunning. great work!!
Thank you!

Not a huge update today. Been printing even more size variants of the gems to get a good fit that is also easy to install. (The ones installed here were slightly too large near the bottom, so I had to trim them with a scalpel. It took the better part of two hours just to do what you see and I want to cut down that time considerably. So, I've made all the smaller gems tapered towards the bottom and decreased the size in 0.5% increments until I reached what I hope to be a good level. Waiting on the paint to dry right now so I can install them and have the first finished copy.

1568749104948.png

Any estimate as to what the price would be?
Haven't crunched the numbers yet, but it should be in the proximity of most of the other things I've done that are "hand prop" sized. One thing I'm thinking of though, is to make the run extremely limited- like, maybe 5 copies and then never, ever, do it again. Even toyed with the idea of deleting the files afterward, but I don't think I'll have the guts to do that, haha.

Yeah, I haven't updated because I've been grinding away at this like crazy. Testing, tweaking... testing.... I'm going to start a thread in the junkyard soon and if enough folks jump onboard I can probably do them for almost 1/3 of what I initially thought, without sacrificing too much in quality. (I was initially going to keep this a super-limited all-resin print, which would have cost upwards of $300, but I've managed to get my old FDM machine to print it beautifully. It takes a loooooong time to print for what it is, but saves a lot of money in material cost.)

I also made slots for magnets, so that it can be displayed however one likes and changed at will. More soon.

The junkyard thread is now active as an all-resin limited run of six kits.
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/avengers-infinity-war-gamoras-spring-knife.305297/

Another shot of the almost-finished proto:
1570053769001.png

As an experiment for a possible (currently shelved) low-cost run, I managed to get it to print rather acceptably in PLA after a bit of work. Details are softer, but I'm surprised it turned out this well. The difference is more noticeable in the blades. I also added slits for magnets in both the blades and the body. (The slots are visible in the PLA blades because the minimum wall thickness has lower tolerances than the resin. They would not be seen when the blades are mounted anyway.)

1570053783196.png

Still some more tinkering and finishing up to do, but I'm happy enough with it so far.

Last edited:
Trying a brass-tinted paint that is a little more pale:
1570694572151.png

Becoming obsessed with painting gems...
1570694635155.png

The CGI screen prop is pretty dinged up at the ends. I modeled the blade seats "as new" but decided to carve out some dings and scratches in my own copy.
1570694733694.png

Rare earth magnets added. Tested the functionality this morning and it seems to work great!
1570694833128.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back