Limited Run Indiana Jones m1917 “Bapty” sight **RUN SIGNUP**

lostinperiphery

I’m soon planning to cut the barrel of my m1917, and with the help of my knifemaker/machinist friend, mill a new “Bapty” style front sight. If there is enough interest, we will set the part up to run multiples via CNC.

*I've marked this as a 'limited run'. The run can be as large as we wish it to be, however this will likely be a one-time run.

Pricing:
I’m expecting the part cost to be around $60 (which is still much less than a gunsmith would likely charge to make one), but may be able to reduce the cost the larger the run. I’d need to commit to around 20 parts to make this worthwhile, and while I likely won’t require any down payment, I do ask that you only commit if you are serious about purchasing one.

Dimensions:
-I’ve modeled this using the published original prop dimensions wherever possible. I’ve then overlaid my model onto existing prop photos, and confirmed everything lined up as it should.

Details:
-sight ramp serrations- Originally, I had to make an educated guess at the serration style (“stepped” vs “toothed”), but with the recently posted Prop Store auction images, I’m fairly confident that these are toothed design, approximately 30 lines per inch. (16 “valleys” appear to be present on the prop).
-sight “tip” – again, the propstore images revealed a lot about the nuances of the tip’s shape and roundness, and by overlaying the model onto prop photos, was able to dial it in as close as possible.

Sight Height vs Point of Impact:
-.355 height (as measured from the ‘edges’ of the site block) would result in a sight that is 0.644 above center of bore
-My factory m1917 sight measure around 0.75 above center of bore (will vary from pistol to pistol)
-Through simple trigonometric calculations, this difference would move the point of impact up about 8 inches at 15 yards. However, the reduced muzzle weight and decreased “dwell time” of the bullet in the barrel may change the trajectory in other ways that are hard to predict without live fire testing.
-I feel it better to make the sight accurate to the prop dimensions, rather than do what a typical gunsmith would and make it oversized to allow the site to be filed down for individual zeroing. Filing after the fact would likely change the overall aesthetic of the sight, which is contradictory to the primary objective of having a screen accurate design.

Construction:
-I plan to mill these from 4140 steel, which would need to be thoroughly degreased and re-blued (either with cold blue, or hot)
-The underside contour will be milled using a uniform 5/8” diameter. To create the precise taper fit to the barrel, you may wish to lap it against sandpaper wrapped around the barrel, though this would likely be optional, as solder would fill the small void.
-the underside of the sight block will be milled with two 1/16” pin holes to accommodate locator pins between the sight and barrel during installation. These should help minimize the chance of the sight shifting during soldering, ensuring it remains centered and vertical. Alternatively, I’m considering attaching the sight using JB Weld in order to save from having to have the barrel reblued…

Anyway, here are the renderings and design as it stands!

In:
1.Mechanized2400 (SA) --SHIPPED
2.SMK1917 (BA only) --SHIPPED
3.Scottjua (SA)--SHIPPED
4.RoyDeckard (BA preferred)
5.whoever--SHIPPED
6.RobertMuldoo (SA)--SHIPPED
7. asavage (SA)--SHIPPED
8.justinian--SHIPPED
9.Halliwax (SA)--SHIPPED
10.KramStaar (SA)--SHIPPED
11.el toro (SA)--SHIPPED
12.Trebor (SA)--SHIPPED
13. Veektohr --SHIPPED

EDIT NOTE: THIS PHOTO IS OF THE FINAL, MACHINED SIGHT. ITS DESIGN IS SLIGHTLY MODIFIED FROM THE EARLIER IMAGES BELOW. YOU CAN READ MORE ABOUT THE ADJUSTMENTS LATER IN THIS THREAD
IMG_3946.JPG

EDIT NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT THE DESIGN, AND ARE NO LONGER CURRENT AND ARE CONSIDERED INACCURATE. LEAVING THESE HERE FOR POSTERITY :)
fb05d1f0cecc61bff5b9e3218a611761.jpg

1b4e5ab38d5a740a65759f44bbd2a7d7.jpg

567ba8ba7c6268f1a98d0d7540b8b4c6.jpg

5c19253628ff7e03eecd77dc21684109.jpg

Last edited:
I had a screen accurate one made for my M1917 a few years ago, and it shot high because the top of the sight was too low (the further the distance, the greater the discrepancy between point of aim and point of impact). I wanted to have another one made, but that gunsmith isn't working anymore. I'm very interested in getting one that looks right, but actually works. If you guys are trying to do one that actually functions properly, I am extremely interested. I'd suggesting cutting and crowning the barrel, then 3D printing some test sites until you find the size/scale that works. By the way, at 21 feet, it was consistently 7 inches high.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a screen accurate one made for my M1917 a few years ago, and it shot high because the top of the sight was too low (the further the distance, the greater the discrepancy between point of aim and point of impact). I wanted to have another one made, but that gunsmith isn't working anymore. I'm very interested in getting one that looks right, but actually works. If you guys are trying to do one that actually functions properly, I am extremely interested. I'd suggesting cutting and crowning the barrel, then 3D printing some test sites until you find the size/scale that works. By the way, at 21 feet, it was consistently 7 inches high.

Good idea, but I'm in either way

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had a couple of people contact me that they would prefer a version of the sight that was similarly “zeroed” as the factory M1917 sight, as the screen accurate sight is expected to shoot about 8” high at 15yards.

So, I’ve attempted to design a “ballistically accurate” variation of the sight, that would (in theory) not have the zero shift that the screen accurate version likely will. Due to costly setup fees involved in CNC, I can’t offer this as an option without also having a handful of people committed to this one as well. But just in case there is also demand for a “ballistically accurate” sight that is inspired by the screen accurate design, here it is. It is .100” taller and the proportions are obviously different.

Note that individual guns will have different point of impact, so even with this taller sight, results may vary from gun to gun.

Perhaps when expressing your interest, clarify one of the following (if not, I’ll just assume you mean screen accurate)

“In only if screen accurate”
“In only if ballistically accurate”
“In for either (but preferably____)”

3949917009999ff609b876392c22decb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 'In only if screen accurate' (assuming postage to the UK isn't very much).

I'm still hoping the pistol will be in the Propstore exhibition (opens in a week), if it is I'll snag you those photos.

On the functional version, you might want to consider extending the base back slightly, to maintain the "plateau" effect, instead of almost having the angle of the sight run so close to the angle of the base (see pic). Also, you will note that the original sight does come back past the front of the lug.

As someone that actually had a screen accurate sight made, it was very disappointing when I took it to the range and it shot 7” high at just 21’. Not to mention that is dangerous thing to do on a real steel weapon. If you want screen accurate, go with a prop (like what was used in the movie); however, for something that shoots real bullets: make it safe and functionally “accurate”. Besides, someone would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between the screen accurate sight and the functional one without taking out digital calipers and really, really knowing what they're looking for. You’re talking about millimeters here, which doesn’t make much of a difference in you hand, but could be life or death down range. Please keep in mind that firearms aren’t just for looks. That said, I’d love to fix mine with a functionally accurate sight, so count me in if you decide to go that way.
0.jpg
M1917 front sight.PNG
This is the screen accurate sight I had made several years ago (shoots 7" high at only 21'):
M1917 1.jpg
M1917 2.jpg

On the functional version, you might want to consider extending the base back slightly, to maintain the "plateau" effect, instead of almost having the angle of the sight run so close to the angle of the base (see pic). Also, you will note that the original sight does come back past the front of the lug.

As someone that actually had a screen accurate sight made, it was very disappointing when I took it to the range and it shot 7” high at just 21’. Not to mention that is dangerous thing to do on a real steel weapon. If you want screen accurate, go with a prop (like what was used in the movie); however, for something that shoots real bullets: make it safe and functionally “accurate”. Besides, someone would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between the screen accurate sight and the functional one without taking out digital calipers and really, really knowing what they're looking for. You’re talking about millimeters here, which doesn’t make much of a difference in you hand, but could be life or death down range. Please keep in mind that firearms aren’t just for looks. That said, I’d love to fix mine with a functionally accurate sight, so count me in if you decide to go that way.
View attachment 840178
View attachment 840179
This is the screen accurate sight I had made several years ago (shoots 7" high at only 21'):
View attachment 840186
View attachment 840187

Good points

I extended the base a bit like you suggested, and it does resemble the SA a bit more. Unfortunately, its impossible to say how well either version will shoot on any individual gun, as every gun is different. I have 3 different m1917's, and the factory sight heights vary up to .08" between them. Add to that the discrepancies that will occur in the way the barrels are cut, each gun will likely shoot even differently than it had before. I could design an ideal sight for my own revolver, that may still cause yours to shoot high. For a tack-driver revolver, the best course would be to have a custom sight made to fit that particular gun, and filed until the point of aim and point of impact match.

Compared to even my tallest sight, the SA sight is .100" lower. Every .010" of difference should move the point of impact approximately an inch at 15 yards, which ends up meaning that .100" should move the impact about 4" at 21ft. Not an ideal shooter for sure, but I even have factory pistols that are about that far off. Add to that, that many of these 100 year old m1917's have well worn rifling and may struggle to even group that tightly, and I'm just not as concerned about having it be perfectly zeroed, personally. But I'm very glad that you've brought it up so that others who are interested can be sure to decide for themselves what expectation of precision they have.

As I'm not sure there will be enough interest to run both versions, I'm more than happy to share the files for the adjusted version with you if you'd like to have a machinist make one for you. My machinist quoted me just shy of $300 for one piece, but you may be able to find someone willing to run it on a manual mill for less.

I’m for A functionally accurate or screen accurate sight. I’d love to be able to use it though so if the function one works out I’m all for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back