Indiana Jones DOD flashlight

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Who makes it-what brand and model???
EDBF95E2-B9E8-4094-AC6C-FAECBFC741E0.jpeg

I've spent the last 2 hours combining ebay trying to find anything that looks like it. Is there a name for the style of these lights

Last edited:
I just bought one. Everyone is hating on DOD, but I knew when I saw them use this flashlight I'd be hunting one down. Just hits that vintage cool sweet spot imo.

Attachments

• s-l1600-125.jpg
    s-l1600-125.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 55
Just bought one on ebay coming from the UK.

Paint is shot however it's going to be stripped anyway

Everyone is hating on DOD, but I knew when I saw them use this flashlight I'd be hunting one down.
Nice find! I may be tempted to get one, too. Thanks to all in this thread who figured it out!

And the only hate I see for DOD is with YouTubers. Indy fans wholly seem to love the film a lot, audience scores are great, and I saw it a few times with friends to packed houses and the audience applauded at the end and had a great time. Even discourse on Twitter and Facebook is largely favorable, shockingly.

Shame it's underperforming at the BO, though. But what isn't, sadly.

Maybe the lack of BO will make hunting down stuff easier! :p

Mine arrived. So glad I pulled the trigger early and snagged one. They seem to be rare and now going for almost 3 times what I paid for mine. They also all seem to be in the UK so far from every auction I’ve seen. Cool thing is there’s a compartment under the handle for storage of extra lightbulbs. Mine still have a couple inside.
And yes, I plan to strip the paint and try chrome paint to see how close I can get it to match.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Once you've stripped it, why not just get it chrome plated? I imagine it won't cost too much more, considering the amount of time and effort spent in stripping and painting.

Once you've stripped it, why not just get it chrome plated? I imagine it won't cost too much more, considering the amount of time and effort spent in stripping and painting.
If you look closely at the flashlight on screen, you can see its not chromed. You can see the round light holder is chromed or stainless and the rest is slightly less brilliant of a finish.

Got it! It's unlikely to be stainless steel, plating was far cheaper.

A lot of products from that were galvanized steel or nickel plated.

yeah, the more I look at mine, its not chromed. Definitely plated as well. Most likely steel plated. It has slight pitting so its not cast stainless.

So what type of battery goes in this thing?? I'm not only going to repaint it- I'm going to restore it to all its glory and in working order. :cool:

I think you are spot on. I used paint stripper however this paint is very thick. I used 3 coats to get to the point shown. I used a sanding sponge to get the results. I soaked the lens cover in ospho to remove the surface rust and wiped. Plan is to hand sand and polish with buffer on grinding wheel . Then seal with a clear coat.
image.jpg

Stripped free of the red paint. Used a combination of paint stripper, sanding sponge, palm sander with multiple grits and the wire wheel on my Dremel. This paint was on there boy!! Next step is cleaning and polishing. Hopefully I can remove the dark spots.  After that will be the clear coat to seal it.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back