Indiana Jones Crystal Skull 1:1

Just fyi. Still going strong, having some unforeseen technical issues with my mould. Trying to figure out the best solution. These things happen. Hopefully update soon.

Right here we go. Still no full skull pics, been getting through my list on that front. Nearly solved all the technical issues. In the mean time, as I'm on holiday next week, here are some pics of the jaw cast in crystal clear. I haven't tided up the flang line on this cast as you can see but I'm really liking how its looking. The forms, the shapes, how it all works in the glass. Its also really hard to photograph well :)

The jaw defiantly goes into the category of how the **** do you mould it :)

Hope you like it.

crystaljaw1.jpg

crystaljaw2.jpg

crystaljaw3.jpg

crystaljaw4.jpg

crystaljaw5.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That in itself belongs in a museum! Really nice job man and I suppose I can accept these teaser jaw photos for place holders for the mold photos haha! Excited to see the results, have you also thought about how youd dye the castings that hint of light blue?

I have, and due to the complexities of casting and wanting a consistent very subtle artistic light blue over large parts of the skull. I'm currently planning on casting clear and very subtly air brushing light blues, darker blues and blacks once cast.

Currently unsure what paint to use though. Anyone any suggestions?

Edit - ok looking at production pics again. Maybe it was cast with a tint of blue in the resin then darker colours airbrushed once cast.

I'll look into it.

Last edited:
Back off holiday. My blue tint has been delayed on order :( not much I can do about it. Waiting to hear from UPS when it might get delivered. In the mean time I have been casting 2 part resin skulls to clean out the mould. Looking good, looking good.

IMG_7097.jpg

Whilst my workshop is in the mists of being renovated I searched for something I could do without making too much mess around the house. I've wanted a crystal skull prop since I saw the film so I thought this was a good opportunity. I have spent a long time really trying to capture that 'look' the crystal skull has, from its fantastic eye socks to its long sticky out jaw and teeth. Its really a long pointy object with some brilliant shapes and curves.

I modelled it in Maya and Zbrush, using as much film reference as I possibly could. Screen grabbing every scene with the prop in as possible and using lessons learnt from my days at MPC to line up and match as close as possible. Every angle doesn't line up perfectly but I am happy its very close and a good medium between all available shots. Matching something that's transparent is defiantly a challenge :) I have chatted to a few people behind the scenes as well which has given me some insight not available on Google.

More work went into getting this 'right' than I expected but i'm really happy I went the extra mile.

View attachment 1531335
View attachment 1531336
View attachment 1531337
View attachment 1531338
View attachment 1531339

Those are some of my angles, I've got about 20 more in my Maya scene.

Using all available knowledge in front of and behind the PC I have made my replica around 39cm long. Seems about right.

Currently printing on the resin printer, cant wait to get one all cast up in crystal clear resin.

Hope you like it.

View attachment 1531331
View attachment 1531332View attachment 1531333View attachment 1531334
Love this, would be amazing 3d printed in clear resin, even small like a desk weight, cant want to see it made in full :) any idea how you will do the internal brain texture ??

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back