Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Nur-Ab-Sal necklace

The chain is actually really easy to make out of solid copper grounding wire, which you can get from any hardware or electrical supply store. I think it's #6 AWG or similar, because that's what I had, though smaller diameter wire (#8 or #10 AWG) would have been easier to work with. Copper grounding wire usually costs $0.40 to $0.70 per foot; four feet should be plenty to make a chain 18-20 inches long, including the clasp.

I used a dowel as a mandrel for the round links and a yardstick as a mandrel for the long links. It's the same process you would use for chain mail links: you wrap the wire around the mandrel multiple times in a tight spiral, then slide it off and cut the rings apart. If you don't solder the links together after assembling the chain, you will want to file down the edges so they aren't sharp.

This is a great idea - thanks a lot for sharing!

After some metalwork researching, I revised the surface of the medallion. It's far away from perfect but now it looks much better.

fate-of-atlantis-medallion.jpg

I guess this is how it looked like thousands of years ago before the story of Fate of Atlantis :). Progress can be seen in this series.

Last edited:
There are many interpretations of this piece, but this one seems to be an especially authentic as first built version. Truly superb.

Last edited:
All I can say is this is super inspiring! I too, although I was not around at the time, was and always will be a fan of Indiana Jones. So cool to see someone take one of the props from the games that you never got to see on film. Thanks for sharing!

Bummer.

Well now you can grunge it up and not feel bad.:)

Yes - It's actually not bad at all. I ground so much on this one that the edges have become rounder and rounder. I think it was a hint of fate to make this one look ancient and make the next one shiny instead. I learned some things about assembling the parts, grinding, and polishing so the next one will be better in any case. My glass is always half full :)

I agree. When I first made a Goonie replica coin. Everyone said, you made it perfect, like a modern day stamped coin, it should be more organic, like an old primitively made pirate coin. So, I redid it and smoothed out all the hard lines and shapes. Your piece looks OLD now, which is perfect.

We are approaching the finish line! After a lot of back and forth, I got the final finish. Unfortunately, the variant above did not work because the green rust is not stable. Besides this it's toxic and there is no real option to seal it. So I wanted to darken it more with vinegar, but one time I checked it, it was all red - It looked like the necklace got a sunburn. I am pretty sure that the acid removed all the zinc so only the copper remained. Anyway, again - Slightly grinding, slightly polishing, and back into salt-water.

But then I got it - I knew immediately that this is the look the medallion is supposed to have:
fate-of-atlantis-medallion-done.jpg

The glue is still visible but I will grind it a little. I also finally found a solution for the spiral. After trial and error (actually more error than trial) I got the idea to simply use some cheap brass earrings which worked perfectly.

ndiana-jones-fate-of-atlantis-earring-before-after.jpg

Besides the chain there is one significant part is missing, but this will be the last step after I did a lot of photographs because this can irreversibly mess up the whole thing.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back