Indiana Jones 5

Re: Indiana jones 5 still happening?

You know what I mean. Not a kids saturday morning cartoon with silly stories....something older kids and adults can enjoy.

Indy having love affairs, or his threat of having his 'parts' cut off are part of Indy canon. Those are not child topics, nor are boiled monkey brains, being burned aline, having a heart ripped out, Nazis being run over, shot, faces melting off, or chopped up by a propeller.

Last edited:

Indy#5 would have the same problem that Indy#4 did - everyone will complain about the movie without actually having a better idea.

People say "make Indy darker" or "don't do aliens" without having the hindsight of knowing how the movie would have turned out if they had actually gotten that.

If they portrayed the same dark edgy Indy that we saw in Raiders & Temple then he would be a lot less sympathetic acting so selfish as a retirement-aged guy. Not to mention it would seem to invalidate the better guy he was growing into during Last Crusade. People accept dark edgy young men but they don't want to see it from the same man after decades of maturing. Not if he is to be a lovable protagonist.

If they do the same kind of "bilblical artifact in the desert" storyline it will seem very formulaic and & tired by now. After the Ark of the Covanent and the Holy Grail, both in Africa/middle east . . . seriously, what else are they gonna do along that vein that won't feel like a third-rate retread? It would not only be the same themes, it would encourage basically all the same kinds of action scenes too. Horses/trucks, etc. Aliens was different but was arguably another religion like the first three movies. People complained but that doesn't necessarily mean there was a better option.

There was a better option: not doing a movie at all. More is not always better.

Here's the way I see it.

1.) Harrison Ford IS Indy. The role cannot be re-cast. Not as an adult, anyway. It's different from Bond, Batman, etc. Ford has owned that role since the beginning and from that point forward. Bond was re-cast for the first time after SEVEN years. The longest serving actor in the role had it for 12 years before hanging it up, and it really should've been hung up around the 8 year mark. Ford has had the role for OVER THIRTY YEARS. You don't just recast someone.

2.) Harrison Ford IS old. There's no getting around this.

3.) Old Indy really doesn't interest me at all, no matter how tough he is for an old guy. He's still old. It's far less convincing that he's an ass-kicker running all around the globe when I'm figuring that his ankles are going on him, his eyesight is going, and he's getting regular prostate screenings.

4.) The late 1950s/early 1960s is not a good time for Republic Serials style heroes or stories. The badguys suck. Commies != Nazis. There's no way around this. They simply lack the universal emotional oomph.

Indy's story is done. Time to move on.

Harrison said a year or so after CS that he was gonna give GL and SS a certain window in which to come up with a story and start production. They've not come up with anything and Harry will be 71 this year, so I'm afraid the time has passed.

Better that we just leave Indy as a part of cinema history and move on.

I honestly don't understand the gripe about the fifties, communists as the bad guys, or aliens. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with those elements - it was how they were handled.

Aliens CAN be supernatural if portrayed that way. I always assumed that when it was revealed that Crystal Skull was about aliens and alien encounters in the past, that it would be linked with those other artifacts that Indy had chased after and found in the other movies. I'm sure it would probably have pissed people off, but I thought it could be an interesting twist.

Instead we got bland, boring, idiotic aliens that were pandimentional beings rather than actual aliens and a lot of WTF is going on. That was what I disliked about Crystal Skull - it just did not make sense and felt utterly pointless and full of missed opportunities.

Ford IS Indy. There's just no way around it. Just like Mel Gibson IS Mad Max (I ain't going to see the new one).

There's so many directions this could go beyond the formulaic treasure hunt story of what came before. There is magic, there is the supernatural of the world and ancient kingdoms, there is the mystery. There are loads of things that could happen, even for an aging archeologist - all except the retreading of the formula from the other movies. It was attempted for the fourth movie and failed because they were trying too hard to just go by the numbers, basically making it like one of the many Indy wannabe adventure films.

His father had an obsession that took up most of his life. Surely, Indy could easily have developed a similar thing that would take up all his interests that he'll try to seek out and discover before it's no longer possible for him to do so. With all the things he's seen and experienced, I'm sure he'd be pissed at the established blinders that are being pulled down over the population, marginalizing all the wonders of the ancient world and what they could accomplish and the truth about the things Indy has found.

If they go forward with a fifth movie, the writers and filmmakers need to understand that the formula used in the other movies are no longer suited for the story - it has to evolve. We need a finale where things go full circle in some way. I really want to know what that warehouse is and why things are just stored there without even being investigated. We saw a glimpse of it in Crystal Skull. And honestly... I would think Indy would want to know too. The enemy is not Nazis or Communists... it's the people who shield the truth from the public.

It would be a wholly different type of movie, sure... but in order to make another successful Indy movie, the story has to evolve as the character has evolved. It is a new time, Indy is older, and he wants answers.

I really want to know what that warehouse is and why things are just stored there without even being investigated.

Have you seen the tv series "Warehouse 13"? I think the author had the same question in head.^^

I also had no problem with aliens in Indy universe. There already were indicators to this direction in "Fate of atlantis" and I like that adventure a lot.

Problem is, making a sequel many years after the main/original series. People have their memories of their beloved films and you never can live up to this expectations.
you see how many sequels are getting worse even if it´s published within half a decade after.
And coming to long time after sequels, you also got the problem, that the style of the filming differs from the old style.
Could just be the changing style of the director, but ,of course, a big thing is the development of the techniques used in the film business.

People applaud Empire Strikes Back for not being a retread of what came before... but go absolutely bananas if the next Indy movie doesn't retread what came before. Pretty hilariously weird.

I honestly don't understand the gripe about the fifties, communists as the bad guys, or aliens. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with those elements - it was how they were handled.

Respectfully, I disagree. To me, the very nature of Indy is a particular style of serial or pulp novel that is very rooted in its time -- namely the 1930s. You could maybe push it into WWII, but much past that and it stops working. It's well known that Hitler was into the occult, so it's easy to accept that he'd send some SS unit to go root out the Spear of Longinus or the True Cross or whatever.

But Commies? Trying to find religious icons? The only way that'd work is maybe if it was part of some plan to destroy this or that religious icon, except it didn't happen in the USSR itself, so that wouldn't really make sense. Moreover, I tend to think that most American viewers, particularly those who are about 30 and younger, tend to view Commies as kind of "quaint" as bad guys. Or at least as relics of a particular bygone age. Nazis, on the other hand, are always fun (and easy) to hate. You can ALWAYS root against the Nazis. Rooting against the Commies seems "very 80s" or "very 50s."

Aliens CAN be supernatural if portrayed that way. I always assumed that when it was revealed that Crystal Skull was about aliens and alien encounters in the past, that it would be linked with those other artifacts that Indy had chased after and found in the other movies. I'm sure it would probably have pissed people off, but I thought it could be an interesting twist.

Again, not really. The thing that works about the supernatural elements is that they're, you know, supernatural -- of divine or magical origin. The problem with aliens is that, on some level, they're based on science, not magic. Yes, they're high tech, but they're not wizards. Although I can see where trying to blend that by having them be "pandimensional" creatures also doesn't work. Might as well just have Indy punch it out with Cthulhu if you're headed in that direction (although that may not be in the public domain).

Ford IS Indy. There's just no way around it. Just like Mel Gibson IS Mad Max (I ain't going to see the new one).

So....you're saying we don't need another hero? ;)

There's so many directions this could go beyond the formulaic treasure hunt story of what came before. There is magic, there is the supernatural of the world and ancient kingdoms, there is the mystery. There are loads of things that could happen, even for an aging archeologist - all except the retreading of the formula from the other movies. It was attempted for the fourth movie and failed because they were trying too hard to just go by the numbers, basically making it like one of the many Indy wannabe adventure films.

Can you tell good stories about some adventurer searching for the solution to, say, the disappearance of the Roanoke colony, or the sword and horn of Roland, or the secret descendents of Edward II, or whathaveyou? Sure. But if it's Indy, it's kind of got to stick to formula. Otherwise it feels like a fish out of water.

To me, the only acceptable continuation of the stories would've been Indy working for (apologies to Hellboy) the OSS Paranormal Division, basically doing what he did normally, but against the backdrop of WWII. Other than that, make a new character and tell a new story. You don't need Indy to do it, and you're probably better off with a different character anyway.

His father had an obsession that took up most of his life. Surely, Indy could easily have developed a similar thing that would take up all his interests that he'll try to seek out and discover before it's no longer possible for him to do so. With all the things he's seen and experienced, I'm sure he'd be pissed at the established blinders that are being pulled down over the population, marginalizing all the wonders of the ancient world and what they could accomplish and the truth about the things Indy has found.

Again, cool idea, but better with a different character.

If they go forward with a fifth movie, the writers and filmmakers need to understand that the formula used in the other movies are no longer suited for the story - it has to evolve. We need a finale where things go full circle in some way. I really want to know what that warehouse is and why things are just stored there without even being investigated. We saw a glimpse of it in Crystal Skull. And honestly... I would think Indy would want to know too. The enemy is not Nazis or Communists... it's the people who shield the truth from the public.

It would be a wholly different type of movie, sure... but in order to make another successful Indy movie, the story has to evolve as the character has evolved. It is a new time, Indy is older, and he wants answers.

See above. I like your idea. I think it actually could be particularly cool. You could even set up a new film series about the discovery of some particular earth-shaking truth, and the consequences of that discovery. But ask yourself this:

Why does Indy need to be in it? Why not have someone new?

The further you stray from the "Indy Formula" the more you should be asking yourself "So, why Indy, then?" Much as I love the character -- and I do -- I don't think he's suited to the stories you're describing. I see glimmers of that at the end of Raiders, but that's about it. If you HAVE to have a connection to the Indy series, then recast the role of Mutt and have it be about HIS obsession to shine the light of truth on the myths and lies by which people are controlled.

Only, to be honest, I'd rather it just be a totally new character. I think the problem you're running into is EXACTLY the problem that the studios run into nowadays: a lack of vision and an unwillingness to let go of the past and strike out to the future. That's harsher-sounding than I intend it towards you (and not nearly harsh enough for the studios...), but I think there's a degree of blinders that people have in wanting Indy sequels in the first place.

They're unnecessary. You can tell new stories with new characters. We don't need the man in the hat to be part of these stories. Indy's story is told. (Arguably one too many times, even.) Someone else's story though, that's just waiting to be seen. And it could be REALLY cool. Just not with Indy.

The problem with the studios not letting go is they redo the same tired old crap and think that's what would work.

I can only disagree with you on what Indy is or isn't. Indy transcends that if the writer is capable of actually doing it and not just retreading the old formula. It was shown very clearly that the formula didn't work in Crystal Skull BECAUSE none of the main players actually wanted to play at all... because it was just the same old same old and it got boring quick.

You seem hell-bent on either having the sequel be exactly the same as what came before, or that it has to be someone new at the reigns. Both in Star Wars and Indy. Yet, it is rather amusing when it's usually glamored to make things different and exciting... but then when that happens... people complain that it's not the same as it was.

The Indy formula is the character and his exploits - sure it was set in the thirties and dealing with Nazis in two of them and some obscure Kali cult in the second movie... but that isn't all there is to the character, who can have any kind of adventure possible, instead of just insisting on basically just redoing the first movie formula. You say Indy can only be Indy if it is set in a specific time-frame, I say it doesn't have to be that to be an Indy movie. Neither are right and neither are wrong. Indy 4 could have worked if only they'd actually bothered to actually want to do the movie.

And we are talking about the possibility of a new Indy movie... not a Mutt Williams movie.

They should use Shia LaBeouf as the main character, he's pretty good in stuff.

OR, the next Indy story could be he finds an artifact that once activated sucks him to a galaxy far far away, with his memorys being sucked away as he travels FTL. because of this he passes out, only to be waken by a big furry monster who picks him up and helps him find work in the delivery trade.

There you go disney, all linked together nice and neat for you ;)

They should use Shia LaBeouf as the main character, he's pretty good in stuff.

OR, the next Indy story could be he finds an artifact that once activated sucks him to a galaxy far far away, with his memorys being sucked away as he travels FTL. because of this he passes out, only to be waken by a big furry monster who picks him up and helps him find work in the delivery trade.

There you go disney, all linked together nice and neat for you ;)

I think your second idea is better than your first. :p

The problem with the studios not letting go is they redo the same tired old crap and think that's what would work.

No argument there. Tired retreads are tired.

I can only disagree with you on what Indy is or isn't. Indy transcends that if the writer is capable of actually doing it and not just retreading the old formula. It was shown very clearly that the formula didn't work in Crystal Skull BECAUSE none of the main players actually wanted to play at all... because it was just the same old same old and it got boring quick.

Frankly, I don't think they ever should've made a 4th film. I don't see how it would've done well for the reasons you discuss below. If it's too much the same as the last one then the audience simply says "Whatever. SEEN IT ALREADY." If it's too different, they say "Ugh. I can't believe how they changed it!!" It's a no-win situation. Best to sidestep it altogether.

You seem hell-bent on either having the sequel be exactly the same as what came before, or that it has to be someone new at the reigns. Both in Star Wars and Indy.

Actually, with Indy, I don't want anything new. At all. I didn't want #4. I don't want #5. When he rides off into the sunset at the end of LC, I'm happy. That's it. That's the end of the story as far as I'm concerned. I neither want nor need any further Indy films. I enjoyed the YIJC, but I view it as a fundamentally separate beast, and it doesn't really "feel" like Indy. Mostly I just like it because I get to watch a reasonably interesting character romp through history, albeit one that shares almost nothing in common with the film version of Indy.

With Star Wars, I'm lukewarm on sequels, but if they do it, I'd prefer it be the same universe with completely new characters for precisely the reasons you describe below and which I mentioned above. Bringing up the same old heroes invites invidious comparisons. It's better and easier to simply tell new stories in the same setting.

Yet, it is rather amusing when it's usually glamored to make things different and exciting... but then when that happens... people complain that it's not the same as it was.

Yep. And I've realized this is precisely the trap that "rebrandings" offer. When you reboot a story, or take some old property and try to do something new with it using the same characters/actors, the balance that must be struck for it to work is INCREDIBLY narrow. You can't have it be too similar to the old stuff, but it can't be TOO different either. Like I said: no-win situation. Your better bet is to tell a new story.

The Indy formula is the character and his exploits - sure it was set in the thirties and dealing with Nazis in two of them and some obscure Kali cult in the second movie... but that isn't all there is to the character, who can have any kind of adventure possible, instead of just insisting on basically just redoing the first movie formula. You say Indy can Indy be a specific time-frame, I say it doesn't have to be that to be an Indy movie. Neither are right and neither are wrong. Indy 4 could have worked if only they'd actually bothered to actually want to do the movie.

The Indy stories riff on traditions of old jungle exploration, treasure-hunting adventure serials from the 1930s and 1940s. They've got a particular vibe to them that the Indy stories play with and update somewhat. Once you take the character out of that timeframe, though, and stick him into the 1950s, he's like a fish out of water. There is a distinctly different "feel" to adventure stories from the pre-atomic age and the post-atomic age.

And we are talking about the possibility of a new Indy movie... not a Mutt Williams movie.

Hey, I agree. I'd prefer to just have new stories and new characters and leave Indy alone altogether. I don't need or want more Indy. By the same token, I'm not asking for Harry Potter or LOTR sequels where we find out what happened when Samwise turned 111 or how Harry started working for the Ministry of Magic, or what happened to their kids or whathaveyou.

Those stories are done. I'm content to set those worlds aside and move on to new ones. I suppose you could mine the past of those universes for more stories, but honestly, I don't even really need that. There's plenty of cool tales to be told in new universes and I'd rather see those than someone trying in vain to recapture the magic that has long gone.

Dan: Right there with you on this one :thumbsup
TMG: I like the story ideas you metioned, especially the "pulling off the blinders" :cool concept, it could be done cool, but studios are notorious for pandering to the largest audience, thus the dumbing down of film making :facepalm
The last film left such a bad taste in my mouth, I just have no desire to see any further train wrecking of the series. I'm not suggesting Indy 5 should be "like" the OIT, I'm of the opinion it just shouldn't be.
EDIT: You guys type way to fast for me :lol

Last edited:

Well, the problem people have when too many changes are introduced is when the next installment actually ****s with established character, character traits and facts about what came before. Indy the character is and can be separate from the formula seen in the first three movies and forced into the fourth one. You can have the Indy character outside the previously used formula. If you are gonna set it in the fifties, don't try to squeeze the formula from before into it. It won't work. As you say, the fifties is a new beast. But in Indy 4 the most spectacular visual - Indy standing in the desert seeing the mushroom cloud rising into the sky happened in the first third of the movie... nothing after that could even remotely touch that... it was so backwards that it was painful - that should have been the last third of the movie where the government dropped a nuke on the aliens eradicating their existence out of fear. The whole story of Indy 4 was so backwards that it hurt and you could just see that everyone was bored.

Your LotR or Harry Potter argument doesn't really work as they are based on books, and it would be ludicrous for the studious to make movies beyond what the authors have written. But I sorta get your point. But... then there's no real reason for sequels at all to begin with. Why go back, when you can just go make new stories about new things and new characters and new settings. Your argument really invalidates all sequels and all prequels and any continuation of a story. I just don't follow that.

As I mentioned before... Empire works because it isn't just ANH rebranded - it was something new that the characters had to go through. RotJ returned to form and is basically ANH 1.5.

Indy can go the route of Empire and have the character experience something new... but people seem to not be able to look beyond what came before. If they don't mess with the character and what he's about, then it IS an Indy movie. And you can have adventure and the supernatural in any setting, in any timeframe, if the writer is good enough to write a compelling, interesting and engaging story worth watching. Indy worked just as well in the fifties as in the pre-WW2 era... the writer, director, producer, actors just didn't seem into it to actually make something good of it. Instead of making the "enemy" a state or a faction... make it other archeologists. Hell... what made RotLA so great was Indy's rivalry with Belloq.

as with everything Hollywood can you say reboot/remake

if it has made money in the past they will remake it for better or worse

if you don't like it don't go see the reboot/remake

The basic problem with the Indy sequels is that he has to lose what he finds at the end, because of the notion that it's happening in our world and that item hasn't been revealed to the world. That's actually the only thing I liked about National Treasure - they didn't lose the treasure they found in the end, but revealed it to the world, making it something else. Other than that bit, the movie was rather boring and formulaic to me. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

But... Indy isn't the formula... Indy is the character and he can be more than that and he can have great adventures - even at his age. Make it age and time appropriate and make it exciting - the formula isn't exciting anymore... and doesn't work with the older Indy.

I know exactly how to take it back to the early 1900's and get the same feel with a cool character!

This guy!
(it is afterall, how Indy got his fedora!)
So, who was this guy "Garth" and his gang? What other adventures did they have?
Clearly Adventure had an old name! :D
Of course he's have to be recast but he had such a small amount of screen time that it wouldn't make much difference....
I can see it now... "Before Indiana Jones Adventure already had a name: Garth Shcmittendorf!
See Garth Shcmittendorf and the Pyramid of Ghouls! :D

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Garth
Fedoras.png

102510_2235_themanwhoma3.jpg

102510_2235_themanwhoma2.jpg

Last edited:

Can't we just let Indy go? We've seen how he started (TLC), his "Young Indiana Jones" years(TV), seen him fight plenty of Nazis(ROTLA , TLC, KOTCS), had a prequel (TOD), met his dad, even the unfortunate alien encounter, just let him end. There are plenty of new ideas out there for adventure stories. I'd rather see something fresh instead of all the constant hollywood re-booting.

Amen Brother.

@TMG,

On the subject of sequels, yes, generally I think sequels to closed-ended stories are unnecessary. Sometimes they're great, but the problem with Hollywood is that they keep dragging out more and more films based on the same tired premise. Didn't I see a Fast and Furious 6 thread pop up here today? Although I suppose they play with different settings and characters, and really the only constant is "People driving fast in cars and we use the same brand name."

The Indy films themselves -- the first three, anyway -- are the kind of films that stand alone. If there'd never been a TOD or LC, would we be wondering "But then what happened?" Of course not. That said, LC pretty much ends with a true ENDING. I mean, they LITERALLY ride off into the sunset and the film is called the LAST Crusade. You don't get much more "done" than that.

On the subject of character....I know this is gonna rankle people, but I actually think Indy is a fairly thin character. Granted we have three (or four) films to get to know him, but this isn't a deeply complex character we're talking about. The Indy films work largely because of Ford's on-screen charisma and the exciting subject matter. But if you look at other knock-off films, what makes their CHARACTERS (not the actors, but the characters as written) all that different from Indy? This is why the knockoffs are knockoffs. The character is interwoven into the formula itself. What's missing isn't the trappings of the character (whip, hat, leather jacket), but rather things like the setting and Ford's portrayal.

Indy's just not all that deep a figure on screen, and that's largely because we don't get a TON of time to get to know him in any kind of depth. We get glimpses here and there, but they're fleeting and then we're off to the next action sequence. Don't get me wrong. This isn't a criticism of Indy or the films. The films work terrifically for what they are: roller-coaster adventure pieces. I just don't think there's anything particularly complex or stand-out about the CHARACTER of Indiana Jones. I mean, you change their resumes and what separates Indiana Jones from Alan Quartermain in the 1980s King Solomon's Mines film? Hell, they both even have a hat! :)

My point here is that part of what makes the character the character is the setting in which he is primarily portrayed. That being the 1930s. And there's no shame in that, either. That's a big part of what made the pieces work. They took old Republic Serial style films and updated 'em with a wink and a grin, and it worked like gangbusters. But I'd bet that's a big part of why the 4th film doesn't work. It might've worked, yeah, but I still think Indy would've felt out of place in the atomic age, and certainly I'd rather see him on adventures between the late 1920s - 1945 or so.

This is again why I say "Great idea...but let's do it with someone new." There's no reason to try to make Indy work in some other setting. You can tell the exact same story with a different character.

Personally, I'd liek to see more of this, if only to help start establishing new franchises. I mean, ok, if we're gonna accept franchise-style film making, why not start NEW franchises that are fresh instead of trying in vain to recapture the glory days of the previous entries in an existing franchise?

I'm perfectly content to watch the ones that have been made over and over again.

That being said, I would still go see a new one if they decided to make it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back