Immortan Joe's Skull Shifter Knob

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by logan74k, Jul 29, 2015.

1. logan74k

logan74k Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey guys and gals,
    Spent a late night sculpting this little dude in Zbrush:

knob_alone2.jpg

ftont low.jpg

threequarter.jpg

Originally I was going to just print the free sculpt on Thingiverse, then I really started looking at it and had to take a stab at better accuracy. I don't know about everyone else, but for me sculpting a 3 dimensional prop with only 2 front views is hard to stomach. Hard to believe it only shows up in a few frames of the whole movie!

I got rid of the 'core' the Thingiverse model has, as it makes it really hard to mold. I "hung" the jaw from the main body of the knob and made it a separate part that keys in. This way the shift lever travels up behind or through the lower jaw and screws into the skull. I allowed for a 'universal' M16 1.5 thread in the head, so it can be either tapped or cast with a metal threaded insert, and adapters will allow it to fit on any screw-on shift knob.

I might print this guy out in stainless steel and see how he looks!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. Stealthxware

Stealthxware Jr Member

You did a great job, looks very close to the one in the movie.

logan74k likes this.
  3. Falco J

Falco J New Member

Beautiful!

4. TyrellOCP

TyrellOCP New Member

Looks fab.

It may be in the movie briefly, but it burned into my mind from it's appearance in the trailer.

Hopefully you plan to release the file somewhere so we can print our own.

5. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This looks awesome, logan74k. It would be a menacing addition to anyone's manual transmission vehicle.

6. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It is worth mention, as the OP pointed out, that there's one on Thingiverse at the moment:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:841218

No idea how it compares to the one in this thread, though.

7. Patattack

Patattack Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man, you are crushin' it with these Mad Max props! Your model looks great, can't wait to see it printed in metal.

logan74k likes this.
  8. logan74k

Ein,
    thingieverse rework.jpg

Thanks Patattack! I decided to go for a regular 'ol plastic output for now, the cheapest I could get stainless down to was $200! Still, I'll chrome it and post some shots.

9. TyrellOCP

TyrellOCP New Member

Shiny and chrome!

The sweep of the jaw and the back of the skull look much better not conforming to a regular gear knob. Good call.

Saw your Immortan Joe mask as well. Amazing work.

10. logan74k

20150807_205726.jpg
    20150807_205757.jpg
    20150807_205841.jpg
    20150807_205932.jpg
    Thanks TyrellOCP. Got some pics of the output on a 3/8 stick, finish/chrome paint to come!

spoudastis likes this.
  11. JacksColon

JacksColon New Member

You need to put that on shape ways so I can have it printed shiny and chrome!

12. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

nice job, it is only shown in one shot, the same shot in the trailer, bummer right,. I have asked and asked, but no one seems to have taken shots of the interior when the cars showed up at the Oprah house in Sydney. Apparently spectator go to get up close and take shots.
    I got some help and created one but the scale seems funny, how large did you end with it? Not having at least a side view kills a sculpt.
    I went with more of an organic look.
    I posted it on the Madmax forum.

I also happen to bought a copy of the handmade sculpt that showed up here a while back, after some looking at it , it was out of scale and a lot details needed help, so I referenced it and made a smaller one. I also corrected a lot of stuff.

13. logan74k

Hi Abe,
    I've got 2.125 inches wide and 3.5 tall. Seems pretty good size, big enough to fit the universal adapters they make for shift knobs. There's nothing great for scale reference, but It really fills his hand in the 2 or 3 frames he's touching it. Yeah, it is crazy that it was only in a few frames and it's still so recognizable. I'll have to go looking for yours, a MadMax forum here, or a separate site?

I saw Billy's sculpt and was inspired by his handling of the jaw vs. the Thingiverse file. Can't have such crazy undercuts if you're ever going to think about molding. Fine for printing, a pain for cleanup and paint.

14. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

I'll find the pic and post it up here if you dont mind. Sorry sideways phone images

the grey sculpt is not mine. Its from a user here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  15. logan74k

Please do!

16. TyrellOCP

TyrellOCP New Member

Found a new shot of the knob while watching some making of videos.

Screenshot_2015-09-26-12-06-59.png
    logan74k Hot *, your modelling skills are top notch. The way your version attaches looks much neater than the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    logan74k and B Wo like this.
  17. Patattack

Patattack Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can do "lost wax" style metal-casting with PLA 3D prints...food for thought! http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/

logan74k likes this.
  18. Red Handed

Red Handed New Member

Shiny and chrome

19. Lvbolts

Lvbolts Active Member

Awesome job.....I would put that on my 51 chopped Merc.

logan74k likes this.
  20. logan74k

Finally got around to getting these guys going!

joe shifter done.jpg

Cast in solid urethane with steel threads. VHT chrome plate looks great, we'll see how it holds up. I'll probably put a few up for sale as a limited run over in the project runs forum. PM me for details if you can't find it.

ecl, PoopaPapaPalps, Mach and 5 others like this.
  21. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's gorgeous.

22. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

Dude. That is freaking amazing. I need to get a 3d printer. Then Zbrush. Then learn to use it. Then acquire money to print things. :lol

23. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You know, I had a thought like this, too but reading your post, and then out loud, made me realize how much effort I've got to put in it.

"Fudge it".

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  24. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

Then I thought "Ill just buy one when logan74k sells them" haha! Problem solved. *highfive*

25. HIWATT

HIWATT New Member

Awesome job. I'd purchase 2 of them if you make a production run.