Immortan Joe's Skull Shifter Knob

logan74k

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys and gals,
Spent a late night sculpting this little dude in Zbrush:

knob_alone2.jpg

ftont low.jpg

threequarter.jpg

Originally I was going to just print the free sculpt on Thingiverse, then I really started looking at it and had to take a stab at better accuracy. I don't know about everyone else, but for me sculpting a 3 dimensional prop with only 2 front views is hard to stomach. Hard to believe it only shows up in a few frames of the whole movie!

I got rid of the 'core' the Thingiverse model has, as it makes it really hard to mold. I "hung" the jaw from the main body of the knob and made it a separate part that keys in. This way the shift lever travels up behind or through the lower jaw and screws into the skull. I allowed for a 'universal' M16 1.5 thread in the head, so it can be either tapped or cast with a metal threaded insert, and adapters will allow it to fit on any screw-on shift knob.

I might print this guy out in stainless steel and see how he looks!

Last edited:
Looks fab.

It may be in the movie briefly, but it burned into my mind from it's appearance in the trailer.

Hopefully you plan to release the file somewhere so we can print our own.

This looks awesome, logan74k. It would be a menacing addition to anyone's manual transmission vehicle.

Ein,
thingieverse rework.jpg

Thanks Patattack! I decided to go for a regular 'ol plastic output for now, the cheapest I could get stainless down to was $200! Still, I'll chrome it and post some shots.

nice job, it is only shown in one shot, the same shot in the trailer, bummer right,. I have asked and asked, but no one seems to have taken shots of the interior when the cars showed up at the Oprah house in Sydney. Apparently spectator go to get up close and take shots.
I got some help and created one but the scale seems funny, how large did you end with it? Not having at least a side view kills a sculpt.
I went with more of an organic look.
I posted it on the Madmax forum.

I also happen to bought a copy of the handmade sculpt that showed up here a while back, after some looking at it , it was out of scale and a lot details needed help, so I referenced it and made a smaller one. I also corrected a lot of stuff.

Hi Abe,
I've got 2.125 inches wide and 3.5 tall. Seems pretty good size, big enough to fit the universal adapters they make for shift knobs. There's nothing great for scale reference, but It really fills his hand in the 2 or 3 frames he's touching it. Yeah, it is crazy that it was only in a few frames and it's still so recognizable. I'll have to go looking for yours, a MadMax forum here, or a separate site?

I saw Billy's sculpt and was inspired by his handling of the jaw vs. the Thingiverse file. Can't have such crazy undercuts if you're ever going to think about molding. Fine for printing, a pain for cleanup and paint.

I'll find the pic and post it up here if you dont mind. Sorry sideways phone images

the grey sculpt is not mine. Its from a user here.

Attachments

• skull 3a.jpg
    skull 3a.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 231
  • skull 4a.jpg
    skull 4a.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 209
  • skull1a.jpg
    skull1a.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 209
  • skull2a.jpg
    skull2a.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 224
  • skull5a.jpg
    skull5a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Found a new shot of the knob while watching some making of videos.

Screenshot_2015-09-26-12-06-59.png
logan74k Hot damn, your modelling skills are top notch. The way your version attaches looks much neater than the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to getting these guys going!

joe shifter done.jpg

Cast in solid urethane with steel threads. VHT chrome plate looks great, we'll see how it holds up. I'll probably put a few up for sale as a limited run over in the project runs forum. PM me for details if you can't find it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back