I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

I hand sew, have done ever since my Mum showed me how when I was young. I also won a sewing contest at school. I am looking into taking a sewing course in the fall. I have tried my hand at oil painting, water colours, wood working you name it, next is sewing.

I'm in! :) Although mostly by hand. The machine can move to fast for me sometimes, I still need to work on that...

I've always wanted to learn. I can't sew..besides VERY POOR hand stitching...LOL but it gets me by. Your stuff is amazing.

I'd love to add sewing to my skills someday for sure!

meshredder2.jpg

I did all the sewing on my shredder costume, it was the frist thing I ever did!

Oh, this thread is so dashing, so seductive, I may lose all decorum! There really is nothing sexier than gentlemen sewers.

See guys! It pays to take home ec! Thank you Freya! I don't know about the rest of the boys, but I love being called "dashing." Makes me feel like Errol Flynn.

I'm so glad that people are actually posting in this thread and sharing. When I started posting it I was sure I'd be listening to the crickets... But hey! Happy to be wrong.

Keep it coming fellas.

I'm a bro and I'm about to buy my first sewing machine so that I can alter my Han Solo ESB pants and hopefully make some more costumes!

yep i sew , i took sewing class in middle school , all the other guys took shop , they all made fun , but i was in a class with like 13 hotties , and they were cutting off fingers .

Just uploaded some of the things I did in my gallery. Quite happy with my eddie. I'm not good at sewing, so this was a good test at ...hmm....abstract sewing.

15495-edward-scissorhands.jpg

I build puppets and the only stitch I use or need is the ladder stitch. (I'm sure it counts)
I'll try to get some photos up one day.

I've been sewing for about 4 years now, but have advanced pretty slowly due to lack of time and focus. Planning on finally finishing my first tailored coat (as well as slacks and a dress shirt) this November. But I have made a few less impressive projects.

Most recently, bow ties:
DSC02980.jpg

In progress coat that I'm tossing in favor of a few pattern tweaks and a better fabric (this is just the test coat):
DSC02616.jpg

Mal Reynolds boots:
DSC02717.jpg

Altair:
DSC02655.jpg

Doctor Who space suit:
419337_10101716113491740_13901025_76011237_305768654_n.jpg

Prince of Persia for a friend:
DSC02446-1.jpg

Jack Sparrow (pants and shirt not made by me):
Jack4.jpg

And my first ever sewing attempt, not tailored (just the coat):
DSC02038.jpg

I just turned 50 last week, and have been sewing since I was 15. My very first costume was Captain America, and now I have come full circle, as I am working on the Avengers Cap at the moment. I make my own clothes, a wedding dress or two, various suits for people, curtains, tablecloths-very happy with my selection of pajamas! I have been trying fibreglass work lately, but when it comes to needle and thread, that's where I feel I do my best work:) I tend to do work for other people for Hallowe'en and end up with no time for my own projects-then watch as my work wins all the prizes! I wouldn't trade it for the world, though!

Anybody here have any input on a basic sewing machine for a beginner? I obviously don't need anything top of the line yet but was just wondering if it's better for a beginner to go out and buy a new one or if a used one from Craigs list or anywhere else is a bad choice?

I've done some sewing.

I made my Fett suit, and nieces Padawan outfit.
ep2padawan.jpg

Nieces X-wing outfit (from scratch in 4 days)
openingday.jpg

Also Snow Trooper dusters. custom flak vest, assorted jackets and clothing mods, assorted small bags and pouches, vests and abdomen pads for Aliens related project.
Probably more but that's all I remember at the moment.

Anybody here have any input on a basic sewing machine for a beginner? I obviously don't need anything top of the line yet but was just wondering if it's better for a beginner to go out and buy a new one or if a used one from Craigs list or anywhere else is a bad choice?
If you can find a sewing machine dealer in your area, buy one from them. They'll show you how to use it, and probably give discounts on repairs, which you will need. Other than that, see if there are youtube videos out there for the model you're considering.

yep i sew , i took sewing class in middle school , all the other guys took shop , they all made fun , but i was in a class with like 13 hotties , and they were cutting off fingers .

Solid.

Keep the pics coming. Such good stuff, I know everyone worked hard on those sleeves, hems, and leather pieces.

My first suggestion for beginners is to start in the thrift stores. If you can find one of those heavy metal beasts for less than $25 and it works, pick it up and give it a shot. If you want to pursue it beyond that, you can upgrade. Sometimes you'll get lucky and won't really need to. If you hate it, you're only out $25 bucks.

Also, you can usually find sewing classes at your local fabric shops. They usually provide the machines during class, so you don't even have to own one to go learn. Be a good way to explore without making a commitment. At least one beyond the class fee.

I am also a bro who can sew. I have made a full jedi costume and 2 mortal kombat costumes. All were made with a sewing machine and some trial and error lol. I'll try and post some pics soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back