If you could only have one...

I've been married 3 times.....so my answer is wife number 2.

Sorry...:lol.....Your thread title is random.....so I thought I just had to pick something that was less financially draining.

I've been wrestling with the ANH/ESB/TFA decision myself. It's like Sophie's Choice. For years I was an ESB man, but lately the ANH has spoken to me. However, I'd have to give a slight edge to the ESB, so there's my vote for ya :)

ANH. Honestly, pretty much every detail that differs between the two, I prefer the ANH version. No fasteners on the grips, only one red button, calc bubbles instead of connector strip... the only thing I like better about the ESB version is the number of T-tracks. Hopefully the prices drop to sane levels eventually so I can get a Graflex to turn in to an ANH saber.

I really love TFA saber. I love the ESB grips but don't care too much for the 2 red buttons.

I always liked the glass eye and beer tab, when we saw the hybrid TFA I fell in love

only troubling thing about TFA saber is short grips or long...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aesthetically the ANH, but there isn't much in it for me between it and the ESB. I made ESB because of the film, it is my favourite. The saber sees some awesome action all film too, rather than just turning it on and training like in ANH.

ANH for me. It is the first lightsaber we see in SW, nothing more iconic than that. And it is simple and elegant and thus beautiful.

ANH, I don't like the two red buttons, the one on the front makes it appear less streamlined. Additionally, I prefer the bubble strip over the clamp card, and the grips without screws/rivets/fasteners or whatever they are. :wacko

Not that there aren't already 8 jillion Graflex threads, but you know what this thread needs? PICS :D Anyone got some side by side beauty shots?

Another thought: If total accuracy is your goal, go ANH, as some details of the ESB are still up for debate.

I've never fully cared for the Graflex saber, to be honest, and I partially feel that it's due to the blatant copying of it in other material down the line. It became the "generic" look of the lightsaber for all lightsabers thereafter. But, having said that, I have and prefer the ANH. Not just because of its history but also because of some previous reasons stated above: it's simple, it's iconic, it carries a bubblestrip (which, I think, makes it look more practical), etc.

I think the ESB is just too clunky-looking for my tastes. Aesthetically speaking, its got more recesses and protrusions on it than the ANH which makes it look bulkier and more jumbled looking than it did in the prior film. People draw their own reasons as to why it is in-universe, but from a purely production standpoint of "some bits fell off; we need to fix it on the spot", that's more than enough for me.

It wasn't in the original post but some people went TFA. Personally, I wouldn't want anything from that film.

ANH for me. When I bought an MR I had to choose between the two and that one just sings to me. I still look at it every single day.

Strangely, though, ESB is my favorite film of ALL TIME. I just like the ANH saber a little better.

I used to prefer the ANH version, but these days I think the ESB version would be better because ... my lightsaber is supposed to be like a historic artifact, as it was last and that would be ESB.
Either way (ANH or ESB/TFA), I would make the conversion in a manner so that it could be converted into the other version if I wanted to.
No unnecessary drill holes that aren't covered up by the D-ring bracket, no rivets - only rivet heads, etc.

Another way to choose: what is stamped on the bottom? If it says "New York" then the bottom is the same as the "Wampa Cave" version in ESB, so make it an ESB version. If it says "N.Y" then make it a ANH version.

Another thought: If total accuracy is your goal, go ANH, as some details of the ESB are still up for debate.
But.. do you cut the ends of the T-tracks straight diagonal or in a curve? I think that is still up to debate. ;)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back