Ideas on making an old style newspaper?

Wes R

Legendary Member
I want to make some news paper front pages related to the Fallout Universe but I have no idea how to make one that looks good. Is there a template or program you guys use?

yeah just front pages. I am hoping to find a template i can use in gimp or paint so i don't have to buy anything.

Not a chance that you'll find ones that are usable. You're better of with finding a scan of a newspaper, and making a template yourself. Typesetting isn't something that you can just do freehand. Make a good template as a solid base. Start off with the dimensions of the paper, then see how many columns it has and measure the gutter.

That's what i was thinking. While searching i did find a nice template for typewriter fonts so at least I found something handy. I actually found some stuff on the Lovecraft Society's website for a 1920s paper so that should help.

I don't like this 'PM sent' business. More people are reading these topics and expect some help. Wes R, lose the typewriter font. What you're looking for are serif fonts. Sans-fonts weren't used in the old days because it wasn't possible to print those letters properly.

Actually i was just going to use the typewriter font for some other projects. I think the file i got for the 1920s paper even included the accurate font. i have to check.

From my experience, a lot of old typefaces from that era don't exist as fonts today, But there are some fonts that are close enough to use though.

Hey Wes

You may want to check out the - HP Lovecrafte Historical Society site http://cthulhulives.org, they have alot of free paper props to download, and IIRC, some of them are newspaper articles/pages from the early 20th century. They also have some free fonts for download as well, it may be what your looking for.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back