ID Help - Jurassic Park Plates

The trick was the repetitive Hammond "spared no expense" quote.
Once I figured they could have used actual real world top dollar china on set
There were only a few top dollar possibilities. It was either Wegewood or Tiffany.

Geez! The more I talk, the more I think I really DO need to turn in my man card.

Wow, I think "Tiffany & Co Black Band" is the one! and they do come in different sizes:

GREAT find! :thumbsup

And apparently only two places to get the china from, that sort of sucks.

Anyone can do this JP plate? Im still interested...

First of all we need the plates. Secondly we need an extremely accurate logo... I have that, vectorized, made myself. Then we need to either paint the plates with the logo, using a stamp possibly, or simply print out the logo on transparent plastic and then glue that to the plates.... loads of options

You'll need to choose between "Prop as it was made" and "Prop as it was meant to be".

Prop as it was made, was most likely, a set of Tiffany plates pulled from prop storage and a clear, probably, water removable, decal stuck to the center.

Prop as it was meant to be, would be a Tiffany plate (or close enough copy) with the logo imprinted (food and dishwasher safe) on the porcelain.

Hm... There are services who can print photos on plates, Im not sure if they can print on every plate, but maybe it's an option...

And Im sure no one wants to eat from it...

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help.

Just ordered one dinner plate!
tiffany_black_band_dinner_plate_P0000101081S0001T2.jpg

Hm... There are services who can print photos on plates, Im not sure if they can print on every plate, but maybe it's an option...
And Im sure no one wants to eat from it...

The companies that print on plates use the same process as printing on novelty mugs. -Both need to be coated with a special chemical that will allow it to absorb the ink, via dye sublimation.

For the home hobbiest, I'd suggest Lazertran. -It won't be dishwasher safe, but it does come out looking pretty good.

Lazertran: any image onto any surface

tea_plates+002.JPG 51MNY0AWHTL.jpg

You'll need to choose between "Prop as it was made" and "Prop as it was meant to be"

I definitely like the idea of being able to eat off them. I would want a 'prop as it was meant to be'.

Does anyone know of 'safe to eat off of' decals?
Maybe if a bunch of us chip in, we can get them professionally made.

If someone were going to get a decal done I'd strongly suggest including the discontinued Tiffany Black Band pattern as part of the design then you could use affordable plates to make the replicas instead of depleting the world supply of rare and expensive china dinnerware.

I'm sure the small but well moneyed Tiffany Collector community would quickly come to view JP dinner plate replicators as brainless vandals similar to how Graflex lightsaber builders are regarded by the smaller less wealthy vintage photography collector community.

I definitely like the idea of being able to eat off them. I would want a 'prop as it was meant to be'.

Does anyone know of 'safe to eat off of' decals?
Maybe if a bunch of us chip in, we can get them professionally made.

Well I have a professionally made JP logo I could easily convert to the one seen on the plates. Just need a place to print them on something NOT lethal
No idea who to ask though...

If someone were going to get a decal done I'd strongly suggest including the discontinued Tiffany Black Band pattern as part of the design then you could use affordable plates to make the replicas instead of depleting the world supply of rare and expensive china dinnerware.

I'm sure the small but well moneyed Tiffany Collector community would quickly come to view JP dinner plate replicators as brainless vandals similar to how Graflex lightsaber builders are regarded by the smaller less wealthy vintage photography collector community.

:lol that's true

Video of what it would hopefully look like

(tried to embed the damn video but nothing works! :()

and a few images showing off what dozens upon dozen of painstaking work result in

and a 3D version :cool 3D.png

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Close1.jpg
    Close1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Close2.jpg
    Close2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 148
  • close3.jpg
    close3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Close4.jpg
    Close4.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited by a moderator:
Well after doing a tiny bit of research it seems it's not that difficult after all... it's a technique called Decoupage, long story short: print JP logo on a see-through material then use something called glossy mod podge(which is non-toxic) to attach the logo to the plate.

The difficult part I suppose would be to:
* get a hold of plates
* perfectly center the logo

Examples:
Decoupage Skills Demonstrations - Pottery Collage - YouTube

Decoupage scrapbooking paper and family photos on ceramic tiles - YouTube

A bit odd everyone seems to use their bare hands when handling the different materials, instead of using latex gloves.

So printing the logo on the plate seems to be the easiest part (either you can eat from it or just display it). The hard part is to get an affordable plate that looks like the one from the movie.
I think there are companies that could make the plate from start (the black and yellow outer circles, the thin inner golden circle and the logo); the problem is they only do it on minimum quantities (400 / 500). Would we get 500 people interested?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back