I need help making a legit Deadpool costume

ZackBryan

Hey guys,

Okay, before I begin I need to get this off my chest... I'm a noob. I've been browsing around RPF for awhile now, but I'm brand new to costuming. Never even touched a sowing machine. That's why I need your guys' expertise.

Now, I've come across hundreds of Deadpool costumes, and to be honest most of them are pretty simple. You know what I'm talking about, right? Like this. Usually they're just modified versions of the ones Ebay sells. Don't get me wrong, they're pretty cool. But I want a costume that stands out more.

So what I hope to do is start working on a more elaborate Deadpool costume. Seeing as how I'm brand new to this, I would greatly appreciate if you guys could give me ideas on what materials to use, how to make things more functional, better looking, more comfortable, etc. By the end I'm really hoping to pull off something like this.

Teach me your ways. Any and all tips would be immensely appreciated.

Last edited:
The suit that you pictured looks to be screenprinted spandex, made in the same way folks usually make their various Spider-Man suits (drawn on Photoshop, files sent to a printer). I have little experience with the method myself, but I say search around the Junkyard for the big Spider-Man suit guys (Spidey4Fun comes to mind) and see if he can design, screen, and sew you up a custom Deadpool suit.

However, if you want a suit that truly stands out, I say base yours on the Deadpool's look in his upcoming video game. Instead of using a traditional spandex or screen-printed spandex, use textured red spandex and quilted black vinyl or pleather for the black sections. You should be able to find all of Deadpool's various holsters, magazine holders and straps at any gun or Airsoft supply shop. His buckle can be easily fabricated with a mayonaise lid, some Apoxie Sculpt and a bit of patience.

But my advice? The key to a truly legit Deadpool costume is you have to be built like Deadpool. Both of the pictures you've posted feature guys who're probably no more than 140 or 150 pounds soaking wet. If you want your Deadpool to look good, you should either have a bit of mass or make a muscle suit like this guy.

The suit that you pictured looks to be screenprinted spandex, made in the same way folks usually make their various Spider-Man suits (drawn on Photoshop, files sent to a printer). I have little experience with the method myself, but I say search around the Junkyard for the big Spider-Man suit guys (Spidey4Fun comes to mind) and see if he can design, screen, and sew you up a custom Deadpool suit.

However, if you want a suit that truly stands out, I say base yours on the Deadpool's look in his upcoming video game. Instead of using a traditional spandex or screen-printed spandex, use textured red spandex and quilted black vinyl or pleather for the black sections. You should be able to find all of Deadpool's various holsters, magazine holders and straps at any gun or Airsoft supply shop. His buckle can be easily fabricated with a mayonaise lid, some Apoxie Sculpt and a bit of patience.

But my advice? The key to a truly legit Deadpool costume is you have to be built like Deadpool. Both of the pictures you've posted feature guys who're probably no more than 140 or 150 pounds soaking wet. If you want your Deadpool to look good, you should either have a bit of mass or make a muscle suit like this guy.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I've been reading up on all the latest TASM projects for inspiration and I must say it's been really helpful. I think I'm gonna go with the "designing and printing" route since this is my first project and I lack experience. However, I do like your idea for using textured spandex. It definitely looks a lot better than just the normal, clean-looking spandex. I think the whole reason I was drawn to this costume was his choice of crosshatching. But then again, that deals with the whole "designing and printing" route.

My only problem with the muscle suit is that it looks a bit too cartoonish for my taste. However, the first picture looks pretty fantastic. Since I'm just an average looking 17 year old, I do plan on working out to better distance myself from the average Deadpool cosplayer.

Here is a Youtube link to the game version of Deadpool. If I was good with custom costumes, I would mimic to this version.
Deadpool Interview after Game Announcement (SDCC 2012) - YouTube

actually Spidey 4 Fun's Deadpool costume is probably the BEST out there

D-Pool

Whoa. Now that's a good costume. My only problem would be the mask and belt. But that's something I could easily customize myself. Personally, I think this mask is vastly superior. That's not say Spidey4Fun's isn't impressive. I just think Stephen's is better looking.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Okay, so after much contemplation, I think I'll go with Mojo_Turbo's suggestion and get Spidey4Fun's print. Furthermore, I also plan on borrowing the idea I got from Stephen's mask design and get someone like The4theWall to build the eyelids/emblem for the utility belt.

I know you want a legit costume but I always think the best Deadpool cosplayers are the ones who can run their mouths off and improv comedy stuff basically acting and talking like Deadpool. You got to be able to play the character as well as look the part for the ultimate Deadpool. You could almost say this is more relevant for a character like Deadpool which is why so many people get away with the eBay Zentai suits but are still awesome Deadpools.

personally, I have never seen Deadpool done well, mask or otherwise. Looking forward to yours.

Truth be told, me neither. They're all too generic to make me believe they exist in the real world.

I know you want a legit costume but I always think the best Deadpool cosplayers are the ones who can run their mouths off and improv comedy stuff basically acting and talking like Deadpool. You got to be able to play the character as well as look the part for the ultimate Deadpool. You could almost say this is more relevant for a character like Deadpool which is why so many people get away with the eBay Zentai suits but are still awesome Deadpools.

I agree. However, I've come across too many fan impression that make me cringe. It's pretty sad sometimes.

Last edited:
Albiet i already have taken on quite a few costume builds at the moment, having read your thread i have been re-inspired to look into a Deadpool build i wanted to build a year or two ago.
I work out quite a bit and figure with a few more percent drop in body fat i could do some justice to a Xmen Origins Deadpool. I will obviously have too look into some prosthetics for the face and a good quality bald cap, (though i need this for my Bane build anyway).

You should definitely have a go at that version as i have seen little to no builds of that nature an will look very individual.

Whoa. Now that's a good costume. My only problem would be the mask and belt. But that's something I could easily customize myself. Personally, I think this mask is vastly superior. That's not say Spidey4Fun's isn't impressive. I just think Stephen's is better looking.

While that mask is most definitely impressive, it doesn't actually look much like Deadpool. It reminds me more of Spawn than anything. It's great if you want to go for a different looking Deadpool, just keep in mind that if you stray too far, people might have trouble recognizing who you're supposed to be.

Also, with all your talk about all the Deadpool costumes you've seen and how you find them generic/unimpressive/not very good, I'd be careful with the materials/options you've chosen to go with so far. If you're not exactly sure of what you're doing and what direction you're going in, you might find yourself with a Deadpool costume not much different than the once's you dislike so much.

I actually just found this amazing drawing. The I feel if anyone were to successfully pull off a suit like this it would be absolutely stunning.

Yeah, awesome isn't it? I fould this image a while ago too. I liked the idea of layered spandex and other materials (instead of the printed body suits everyone goes with), I'm working with a couple of talented people to create a somewhat similar suit. (Not really design wise, just with some similar ideas.) I also decided to use this design for my dual katana holster. It's actually coming together pretty well. I've spent a lot of time to give it a whethered look, it's been a pain! (Also a lot of bloodied fingers, I'm terrible at sewing. But I suppose a little blood couldn't hurt a Deadpool costume, right?)

Just keep in mind, building these costumes isn't easy. And while I'm sure you have an awesome image in your head of what you want, actually bringing that image into reality might require more time and money than you realize. My advice to you is to try to plan and lay out as much as you can before you get started. The last thing you want to do is work yourself into a corner, and then you're stuck with something you aren't happy with.

Keep us updated!

Just keep in mind, building these costumes isn't easy. And while I'm sure you have an awesome image in your head of what you want, actually bringing that image into reality might require more time and money than you realize. My advice to you is to try to plan and lay out as much as you can before you get started. The last thing you want to do is work yourself into a corner, and then you're stuck with something you aren't happy with.

You couldn't be more right. I got carried away with excitement. Again, it is my first project after all. I think I'll attempt making an adaption of the drawing, and if all else fails I'll just go back to the typical spandex look. But seeing as I'm a perfectionist, I'll keep working to achieve a look I'm eventually happy with.

Thanks for the advice! It really helped!

Hey Zack, saw something on the forum I thought you'd be interested in. Check out CosBlade's post here:

http://www.therpf.com/f67/cosblade-costumes-156776/

He showcases a Deadpool costume he put together, and he tackled the mask with a very cool approach. Basically he painted his face with black liquid latex, and wore a spandex mask with eyeholes cut into it. It's certainly unique, it looks awesome, and might fit the more "realistic" tone you're going for. Plus, it wouldn't cost very much to do.

Darthchiro did the best Deadpool mask I have seen. He is banned for sales related issues and I don't think he ever finished his deadpool.

5764141.jpeg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back