I got sniped on Ebay!

Re: I hate Ebay snipers!

Well150 would be it. Hate is a strong word.... Maybe dislike is better. With the current prices im not surprised I was outbid. It's all good though I was just ranting. No offense to anyone and to the winner looks like you got a nice one!

I was top bidder on that very same auction for 5 days before your bid, but I'm not upset because I already have three 3-cells and a 2-cell. I had a max price and if it went over, then it went over. On things that I really want, I don't wait until the last minute. I bid my full max bid and then sit there an watch all the snipers attempts fail. Sweet retribution in the other direction. :)

True... if something is truly what you want it's the only way. Just bid your max and sit back and wait. I've been annoyed when sniped... when I was hoping to get away with paying as little as I could on something I only half wanted. Still burns since I usually rethink that I could have gone higher.

I will ONLY snipe when using EBAY. You save yourself lots of $$ in the end. I will also admit to taking a bit of pleasure knowing that I scored something right out from under your feet, with 1 second left.....

Clearly both ways have their pros and cons. I prefer to not snipe on something that I absolutely have to have. But on a moderate interest item, that is fairly low at snipe-time, then I will get trigger happy.

Well150 would be it. Hate is a strong word.... Maybe dislike is better. With the current prices im not surprised I was outbid. It's all good though I was just ranting. No offense to anyone and to the winner looks like you got a nice one!

if 150 was the max you were willing to spend then thats the price you should have bid. i have done the same thing countless times and got the item cheaper.
when i get outbid they are more than welcome to it. there will be others, be patient.
only bid ONCE on the last day your max amount, thats my advice. (non snipers)

another thing i do if i have had no luck in snagging something after repeated attempts is contact the seller directly and ask them if they would accept an offer, i have have good success with this in the past,
particularly with rare car parts that i know get out of hand on bidding wars once word gets out. saved hundreds this way.

good luck next time and hope you win one eventually

I don't bid first day because say there are 6 people watching, and the highest planned bid from those 6 is 150 dollars, and I'm willing to go 175, then my last second snipe will easily win.

If I go in day one and throw down 175 dollars, then those 6 guys have 5 days or so to find out what my highest bid was, and maybe the guy who was only planning to go 150, hits that high mark on day 4 and has time to rethink if he's willing to go higher.

I like to have people watch an item that sits at 10 dollars for 5 days, then I sweep in with a high bid in the last seconds, having them scrambling to get high enough to out bid me, but holding back because only moments earlier, they were thinking they may get it for less than 20 bucks.

Does that make sense? I find writing about ebay bidding hard to explain, heh.

For me ebay is like playing Poker . . . sun-glasses on, fedora folded nicely on my head and then multiple windows open . . . maximum bid at the ready whilest watching the bidding war on one window ... counting down the seconds ... 6... 5... 4... enter bid ... BOOM winner at 0 secs in ... most of the time :)

Chaim

I'm okay with being out bid on e bay a prop collector who wants it for his collection thats fair enough . What I'm not OK with is somebody driving the price through the roof almost everytime and then selling it here for a big mark up and profit. There is one regular RPFer here in the UK that will ALWAYS bid on alot of different parts needed to complete various SW props and then always sells them them in the Junkyard a few weeks later with a healthy mark up. Once or twice if this was abandoned projects I can understand but its the virtually the same parts ALL the time. He nevers seems to build a damn thing, he just seems to use the information provided by others here to buy off e bay who then sells the parts off as if he is some mystery magician who just finds them lying around in attics. Now that does ANNOY ME!!!

I have to laugh at the thought of people still using this software, probably some poor disillusioned soul who thinks he's going to get a "great deal" on eBay. There are no great deals to be had on that auction site anymore, it's too popular. If it's an item people want, don't mess about with incremental bids figure out how much it's worth to you and bet the maximum. That's how you "win" on eBay.

Just saying, people go to eBay with the wrong mindset. It's not a niche little corner anymore where you can scoop up cheap scores.

You snipers are scum.:p
LOL...that's how some people felt when NFL teams started using the no-huddle. Well within the "rules" of the game. Of course, the same people who complained about it starting using it (I'm looking at you, Marv Levy).

Honestly, what eBay should do is add like 15 seconds every time a sniper bids at the end of an auction.

Snipers FTW!

No software required.

I always bid with 15 seconds to go or less. Like others have said, don't give your competition a chance to think about it.

I have to laugh at the thought of people still using this software, probably some poor disillusioned soul who thinks he's going to get a "great deal" on eBay. There are no great deals to be had on that auction site anymore, it's too popular. If it's an item people want, don't mess about with incremental bids figure out how much it's worth to you and bet the maximum. That's how you "win" on eBay.

"I have to laugh at the thought of people still using this software"

and i'm sure we are laughing at you when we swipe the item from under your nose.

"probably some poor disillusioned soul"

in reality its the other way around.

you "win" on ebay by being the highest bidder, regardless of how you choose to place your bid or how many seconds from the end its placed.

all sniping does is not give you time to counter. THATS ALL

Just saying, people go to eBay with the wrong mindset. It's not a niche little corner anymore where you can scoop up cheap scores.
I disagree. There are deals to be had on eBay. Not as many as there used to be, but you have to be creative to find them.

LOL...that's how some people felt when NFL teams started using the no-huddle. Well within the "rules" of the game. Of course, the same people who complained about it starting using it (I'm looking at you, Marv Levy).

i have no idea what you are talking about

Honestly, what eBay should do is add like 15 seconds every time a sniper bids at the end of an auction.

this could never work

ebay would not be able to tell a snipe from a man made bid, i can get it down to the final seconds manually no problem.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back