I got sniped on Ebay!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by propmainiac, Mar 29, 2015.

1. propmainiac

propmainiac Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all just have to vent here! Thought I had a Graflex 2 cell flash with the red button for 130.00 tonight but got outbid at the last second! Watched this auction for days and got sniped! Dammit! I know others on ebay use sniping software but do I really have to do this as well to get the items I want? It's allways a gamble but at the same time I have limited funds and don't really want to spend 200 or more just to win. Just venting here. There will be other flashguns and I'll keep looking.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: I hate Ebay snipers!

Yeah sorry man, sniping is part of the game now. Just put the most you're willing to pay, and wait and see.

Alan Castillo likes this.
  3. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I get sniped on Exactras every time on there.

4. propmainiac

Yeah just a matter of time I suppose.

mugatu likes this.
  5. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

lol theres a thread by me in off-topic talk. I watched the clock tick to 0. I was the highest bidder. Someone came in with software at <0 seconds. That lit me up...I still haven't started using sniping software yet. The mix of human bidding and machine bidding weirds me out. It seems like everyone should just set up bids at <0 seconds and the highest one wins..

6. mugatu

I got beat out on a Michell deck yesterday right at the end. Going back over the bid history it was a veritable feeding frenzy at the end, just foaming choppy water and once it all cleared...LOSER!!! Haha

Oh well. I used to try to snipe a lot but a new strategy was required and has been adapted...not software though.

7. egosheep

egosheep Sr Member

I usually set a song that I know really well, something that you know exactly when the last note is. I time it to the auction and bid accordingly, with 3-4 windows having separate bids. As the songs ends, boom-boom-boom.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  8. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was watching that one too... but was too busy today to see it go. I too have been sniped at the last second. It burns.

mugatu likes this.
  9. Flanman

Flanman Member

Its all part of the game I guess. Ive sniped and been sniped. I usually just wait till about 2 or 3 seconds do to internet lag to make sure my bid gets in and I set it as high as I will possiblly want to pay. Some times you win and some times you lose, makes the hunt much more interesting.

mugatu likes this.
  10. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's the thing. Usually if there is something I want, I set my reminder and plan ahead to make time for the end of the auction. I usually make my bid within the last ten seconds and hope there is no internet lag.

Why do I wait till the last few seconds? Because whom ever else might want it already has a max price they are willing to spend in their head whether they have an existing bid or they might be waiting to bid in the last few seconds like me.. If you bid and give them time to re-evaluate their top price, their ego kicks in and the competitive nature makes them bid a lot higher than they originally wanted to. So don't show your cards. I don't give them time for those thoughts.

When I do bid, I have a max amount I am willing to spend on the item. I don't try and figure what someone else might bid, I just throw the full amount at it a hope no one else was willing to pay more. If I win, great. If I lose, I don't feel too bad because the items valued higher by someone else who was willing to pay more. Remember, winning an auction is somewhat like saying, "hey, I paid more for this item than anyone else in the world was willing to." It is a bittersweet victory. :p

11. NeoRutty

I JUST lost an auction I was sniping...

There's still a day left, but I put my sniping bid at my maximum I would be willing to pay, and let it ride. I got an email notification that bidding has gone past my set bid, and I would have to re enter a new bid to compete.

Nah.

But that's what I love about sniping. I see something I want, know what I would bid, set it to go and just see what happens. You win some you lose some.

Sniping or not, if someone's proxy bid is more than you entered to snipe, you're not going to win.

If you want to bid yourself in the last second, then you better bid SUPER HIGH. If the guy who bid on the first day bid 235 dollars, and the auction sat for 6 days at 78 dollars, even if in the last 3 seconds you put 195 dollars, it's still going to jump up to 198 by the proxy bidder from day 1.

In the end, the guy who was willing to pay the most will win. IF they place their highest bid.

Seems fair.

That said, when I first got on ebay, I was so enraged when I lost auctions, that I would actually email people giving them crap. ha.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  12. funboy1013xx

funboy1013xx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

you WILL never know how big the other guys/gals wallet is.......but you do get to see the size of there passion! at the last second ofcourse....

mugatu likes this.
  13. mugatu

I had a roommate that was a serial sniper when I first introduced him to eBay. He had a real problem. I'd come home from work and he would have been sniping all day. He'd tell me he now owed 1100 dollars for things he wasn't even interested in buying, he just got some sick thrill out of sniping the end of auctions. You wouldn't believe some of the worthless crap we had laying all around the house from his new addiction.

14. Pumpkinhead

Pumpkinhead Active Member

*, all this time I thought SW fans used the force to bid.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  15. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

I refuse to sell my stuff on ebay using auctions. I know what I want to get, I raise the price 10 percent and more often than not someone makes an offer and I accept.

I get the price and people think they saved some money.

Fixed price with make an offer, works every time.

mugatu and NeoRutty like this.
  16. Xtafa

Xtafa Active Member

I love sniping, I don't use website/programs, its just fun to wait until the last few seconds waiting and BAM! I've lost plenty still when sniping though, as its not the last bid that gets it, they simply paid more.

If they placed a bid higher than you in the last half hour, would you have paid more? Place what you're willing to pay and cross your fingers.

Good luck on your next one though, I hope you get it!

17. propmainiac

Well I guess. Wasn't meant to have that one. I watched it tick down to zero I was the highest bidder and they got me.i wasn't going to go any higher on my price so it's just as well.

18. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

you got outbid in an auction, where is the problem?
    if you wanted the item so bad then you should have bid higher.

sniping software or no sniping software, its the highest bid wins not the last.

"Thought I had a Graflex" ------- its not yours until you win it.

you can beat every single sniper on the planet, just be willing to pay more than them and the item is yours. simple.

"i wasn't going to go any higher on my price" ------- someone else did

Riceball and Grey like this.
  19. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was top bidder on that very same auction for 5 days before your bid, but I'm not upset because I already have three 3-cells and a 2-cell. I had a max price and if it went over, then it went over. On things that I really want, I don't wait until the last minute. I bid my full max bid and then sit there an watch all the snipers attempts fail. Sweet retribution in the other direction. :)

mugatu likes this.
  20. zorg

thats the attitude to have, just pick your price and thats it.

i'm guessing some folks assume a sniper will always win, a sniper has to put in his/her highest bid on the sniping set up page, which is the highest they are willing to pay.

propmaniac -- what price would you have bid up to on that auction if there were no snipers? ( a bidding war in the last ten minutes say)

21. propmainiac

Well150 would be it. Hate is a strong word.... Maybe dislike is better. With the current prices im not surprised I was outbid. It's all good though I was just ranting. No offense to anyone and to the winner looks like you got a nice one!

22. mugatu

Yeah that one looked to be tip-top.

23. TheDodgeMan

TheDodgeMan Well-Known Member

I am a sniper.. It's the only way to win :lol

24. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

True... if something is truly what you want it's the only way. Just bid your max and sit back and wait. I've been annoyed when sniped... when I was hoping to get away with paying as little as I could on something I only half wanted. Still burns since I usually rethink that I could have gone higher.

25. DeLucks Designs

DeLucks Designs Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I will ONLY snipe when using EBAY. You save yourself lots of $$ in the end. I will also admit to taking a bit of pleasure knowing that I scored something right out from under your feet, with 1 second left.....

26. Calaeryn

Calaeryn Well-Known Member

Me too. Posting my max bid days in advance gives people the opportunity to decide they want to spend $2.00 more than me.

mugatu likes this.
  27. mugatu

Clearly both ways have their pros and cons. I prefer to not snipe on something that I absolutely have to have. But on a moderate interest item, that is fairly low at snipe-time, then I will get trigger happy.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  28. zorg

if 150 was the max you were willing to spend then thats the price you should have bid. i have done the same thing countless times and got the item cheaper.
    when i get outbid they are more than welcome to it. there will be others, be patient.
    only bid ONCE on the last day your max amount, thats my advice. (non snipers)

another thing i do if i have had no luck in snagging something after repeated attempts is contact the seller directly and ask them if they would accept an offer, i have have good success with this in the past,
    particularly with rare car parts that i know get out of hand on bidding wars once word gets out. saved hundreds this way.

good luck next time and hope you win one eventually

29. NeoRutty

I don't bid first day because say there are 6 people watching, and the highest planned bid from those 6 is 150 dollars, and I'm willing to go 175, then my last second snipe will easily win.

If I go in day one and throw down 175 dollars, then those 6 guys have 5 days or so to find out what my highest bid was, and maybe the guy who was only planning to go 150, hits that high mark on day 4 and has time to rethink if he's willing to go higher.

I like to have people watch an item that sits at 10 dollars for 5 days, then I sweep in with a high bid in the last seconds, having them scrambling to get high enough to out bid me, but holding back because only moments earlier, they were thinking they may get it for less than 20 bucks.

Does that make sense? I find writing about ebay bidding hard to explain, heh.

mugatu likes this.
  30. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

For me ebay is like playing Poker . . . sun-glasses on, fedora folded nicely on my head and then multiple windows open . . . maximum bid at the ready whilest watching the bidding war on one window ... counting down the seconds ... 6... 5... 4... enter bid ... BOOM winner at 0 secs in ... most of the time :)

Chaim

thd9791, Xtafa, mugatu and 1 other person like this.
  31. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I go it with a low "max" bid very early to give the last day people some hope and then swoop in at the last minute like Chaim does.

mugatu and Sym-Cha like this.
  32. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

I'm okay with being out bid on e bay a prop collector who wants it for his collection thats fair enough . What I'm not OK with is somebody driving the price through the roof almost everytime and then selling it here for a big mark up and profit. There is one regular RPFer here in the UK that will ALWAYS bid on alot of different parts needed to complete various SW props and then always sells them them in the Junkyard a few weeks later with a healthy mark up. Once or twice if this was abandoned projects I can understand but its the virtually the same parts ALL the time. He nevers seems to build a * thing, he just seems to use the information provided by others here to buy off e bay who then sells the parts off as if he is some mystery magician who just finds them lying around in attics. Now that does ANNOY ME!!!

mugatu, Sym-Cha and NeoRutty like this.
  33. Grey

Grey Sr Member

I have to laugh at the thought of people still using this software, probably some poor disillusioned soul who thinks he's going to get a "great deal" on eBay. There are no great deals to be had on that auction site anymore, it's too popular. If it's an item people want, don't mess about with incremental bids figure out how much it's worth to you and bet the maximum. That's how you "win" on eBay.

Just saying, people go to eBay with the wrong mindset. It's not a niche little corner anymore where you can scoop up cheap scores.

34. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You snipers are scum.:p

Sym-Cha likes this.
  35. zorg

yes we are but scum with shiney things! :D

Sym-Cha and mugatu like this.
  36. Calaeryn

LOL...that's how some people felt when NFL teams started using the no-huddle. Well within the "rules" of the game. Of course, the same people who complained about it starting using it (I'm looking at you, Marv Levy).

Honestly, what eBay should do is add like 15 seconds every time a sniper bids at the end of an auction.

37. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Snipers FTW!

No software required.

I always bid with 15 seconds to go or less. Like others have said, don't give your competition a chance to think about it.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  38. zorg

"I have to laugh at the thought of people still using this software"

and i'm sure we are laughing at you when we swipe the item from under your nose.

"probably some poor disillusioned soul"

in reality its the other way around.

you "win" on ebay by being the highest bidder, regardless of how you choose to place your bid or how many seconds from the end its placed.

all sniping does is not give you time to counter. THATS ALL

39. mugatu

I disagree. There are deals to be had on eBay. Not as many as there used to be, but you have to be creative to find them.

40. zorg

ebay would not be able to tell a snipe from a man made bid, i can get it down to the final seconds manually no problem.

41. mugatu

This is how QuiBids works (partially) which is a sniper's paradise.

42. Calaeryn

Doesn't matter whether its man-made or bot...every bid could add time to the clock...which would eliminate sniping. Other bidders would have time to consider whether they want to increase their bid.

43. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

thd9791 likes this.
  44. mugatu

I'll admit from a seller's standpoint, this would be an awesome change.

- - - Updated - - -

They do? Hmm, thank you for telling me. Seriously did not realize that. Although I would think there is much more of a specific clientele there.

I don't even know what point I'm trying to make with this.

45. Grey

Grey Sr Member

Uh, first you say that you'll be laughing when you snipe it from me and then you say that sniping does nothing. I'm confused, are you for or against this software? As I said, figure out how much it's worth to you and bet the maximum bid from the get-go, did you ignore half my post or are you trying to agree with me?

46. zorg

where do i say it does nothing?

obviously i'm for this software otherwise i wouldn't be "laughing".

you said the way to win was bidding "your" highest amount. its not.

the bid with highest amount gets the win, which might not be yours.

there is a very big difference.

47. Grey

Grey Sr Member

The implication was obvious, bidding the highest amount is what wins the auction not sniping at the last minute, the software does nothing if you have the highest bid. When did I say my highest anything? I said bet the maximum amount. The OP said he had a price limit, which I referred to in my initial post but I never said anything of the sort relating to myself.

I still don't understand what you're even arguing.

48. zorg

obtuse?

ignore list updated

49. Grey

Grey Sr Member

:rolleyes

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  50. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i didnt know there was sniping software. does ebay do anything about it?