Hulk Movie Designs -Which is your favorite?

1993 Hulk was OK...

HulkH.jpg

I thought 03 hulk design was great. The face could've been more hulk-like, but the proportions and bulky physique looked great, and it was convincingly animated.

The 08 hulk was too heavily textured. You could see every muscle and every striation on that muscle. The whole effect looked second rate. The face looked pretty good though.

So basically they seem to have combined what I liked about the 03 and 08 hulk, the bulky, solid physique, with a more hulkish mug.
I concur. Except for him looking like a big green frat boy I thought the Hulk sequences in the '03 movie were quite good, but didn't like the live action scenes and felt Bana was horribly miscast. Conversely, I liked the live action scenes in the '08 movie but felt the Hulk looked like he stepped out of a video game. A decent Hulk movie lies somewhere between the two.

I enjoyed the 70s television series for what it was, but too soon it fell victim to a) the limitations of having a human being portray the Hulk (regardless of Ferrigno's considerable musculature), b) the limitations of 1970s effects technology, and c) Universal consistently producing their projects on-the-cheap. After reading the comics for several years, it was disappointing to see Ferrigno's Hulk display his strength and anger by turning over a card table. :unsure

As for the Avengers' Hulk, it looks pretty good (based on what little I've seen of it) but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the movie.

Like previously stated, I like that the new Hulk looks like the actor. And since we've only seen 2 of the 3, Norton was my favorite Hulk actor.

Also, Browns running back Peyton Hillis kinda looks like the 03 Hulk:
Peyton-Hillis-CIA-Agent.jpg

c3debb4d0b69.jpg

Last edited:
2012 by far. That Ang Lee Hulk's design/face is AWFUL. The 2008 isn't much better. And the CG itself for both of them is on par with Shrek. Utterly unconvincing.

Other than the silly hair though I'd have to almost give it to Lou. Because he was real. Use a real dude and LOTR forced-perspective tricks to make him big. A cartoon will always look like a cartoon.

Except for the hair, I vote Lou Ferigno. I understand why they did the hair the way they did, because if your whole body is going into "hyper growth" mode, then your hair will do so as well...but it looks stupid. Given today's effects makeup technology, I think a bodybuilder could pull it off much better than a cgi "actor". I think they should use a real person to play Hulk and save the cgi for the "transformation" effects.

On a side note, does Marvel get a discount on rubber? Why not use real metal to make scale mail armor? It is more comfortable and gives more freedom of movement. Enough with the rubber suits, I didn't like the Thor movie because I just can't get over the rubber armor. I also didn't like the "Flash Gordon" style of the costumes, it kind of killed it for me.

I like the Incredible Hulk 2008 design out of all of them. The reason why is because it looks closer to what the comic book version of the Hulk would look like in modern times. The upcoming Avengers Hulk looks too much like the TV show Hulk (which makes sense, especially since I've read that the director stated that he disliked the first two films because they dealt with Banner trying to cure himself of the Hulk, while he decided to have Banner and the Hulk in his movie do what the TV show versions did: help others instead of helping himself. So, naturally the Hulk design would reflect that same mentality for the director). The Ang Lee Hulk was kinda okay in the behind the scenes work (as Lee state that the Hulk's green is designed off of plants and nature, and having various shades of green represented with the Hulk), but the Hulk's design itself seems to be further from the source material and seems to practical. For the TV Hulk, it was okay for its time. But let's face it, it was what it was: a body builder in green makeup. I mean, despite people's dislike of the Incredible Hulk 2008's height, I think the 2008 Hulk's height is almost as that is how tall he is in the comics, judging by pictures like these:

The 2008 Hulk:
hulksoldier660.jpg

The original cover for the Hulk's comic (the Hulk is actually hunched over if you notice, indicating he's much taller.)
Incredible_Hulk_Vol_1_1.jpg

In fact, in the comics, his size actually changes issue to issue. In the comics, the Hulk could be anywhere between 7 feet and 9 feet in height. In fact, Mike Deodato Jr., one of the artists for the Hulk, has stated that he draws the Hulk at anything below 9 feet tall (In fact, I've read that the first Hulk was originally 15 feet tall). But then again, one could argue that the Hulk's size changes due to the amount of anger that Bruce rages with (which would make a lot of sense, as Bruce's mass is not the same amount as the Hulk). In fact, I think the 2008's height is actually shorter than Ang Lee's.

Of course, this is all just my opinion and interpretation of information. I could very well be wrong with it.

Last edited:
Norton has been my favorite Banner next to Bixby, but I must say...the new Hulk is looking great. I like the age lines, grey hair, depth of the CGI. Looks like they have done a solid job, not to mention the Hulk looks just like the actor portraying Banner.

Yeah, when seeing them all together I'm in full agreement.

I liked the 2008... But the actual cgi hulk was.... Too much? Didn't favor norton IMHO. But norton was great, and was disappointed when I first heard he wasn't in the avengers... We'll see!

Last edited:
I think this is the perfect portrail yet. Mark Ruffalo was in a mo/co suit for this film, so a lot of the acting Hulk does, it was Ruffalo. The face looks perfect, as if the actor actually transformed into this beast. Any why wouldn't he have stubble or chest hair? Mark does. And he's bulky, but it doesn't look like he's been on a no carb cutting phase. It looks natural, if your body suddenly bulked up immensely. I cannot wait for this version. Personally.

For the best Hulk design, I would have to say the new Avengers style. I just love the proportions/look, especially because you can see Mark's face in there. The 2008 Hulk is a close second though.

However, Ed Norton was the best Bruce Banner by far.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back