How To Simulate Caked Mud and Dirt on Zombie Clothes?

Hedjii72

Sr Member
I am putting together a "Nate" costume from Creepshow, and I'd like to find some techniques to add mud and caked dirt effects to the distressed clothing, without using the real thing. I don't want to leave a mess wherever I sit when wearing the costume. Does anyone have any ideas on how to build up this kind of effect on fabric?

Ideas I've considered: caulk or foam insulation for bigger globs, moss / glue , paint, fuller's earth. Right now I have a pristine suit I picked up from the thrift store.

Here are some reference photos:

mcbse8.jpg

I did a mud/dirt simulation years ago for a WW1 vampire/soldier costume and needed the trench coat and gaiters to look heavily caked in mud. I used elmers (PVA) glue with latex paint mixed in, then added sand. I then caked it on real thick in various layers on the material. For spots that I wanted to look like wet mud, I used clear elmers with liquid RIT dye and sand. It dried with a gloss finish and looked wet. Check out the following link for images.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=140634&highlight=baltimore+vampire

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back