How to seam and fill latex

ptgreek

So Ive been meaning to do a tutorial on this for sometime now ..and the perfect opportunity finally arose. Ive been working on a film with Mark Hamill the past month. Mark is an amazing guy who loves to tell great stories. It isnt the first time he has worked with our studio. We did all his stuff as CockKnocker for Jay and Silent Bob strike back. Turns out at the end of that film he never got the hand as promised to him by Kevin Smith. As a surprise, I made him one from the molds to give him as a gift. I felt this was a great time to document how we seam and fill latex and foam items.

I started by running a latex and polyfoam hand ( there is a stone core in the middle that was coated with polyfoam release so Marks hand will fit inside) Notice the large seam from casting this in two pieces, then placing the core inside before closing the mold for foam ..injected into a pour hole.

c6198a2c.jpg

Next I use small curved cuticle scissors to remove the latex flash ...in some places, I actually cut the seam completely away so that there is almost a centimeter or two of gap between latex halves ..exposing the polyfoam.

4ed2e293.jpg

cff2331b.jpg

Ok ..trimming all done

d7928849.jpg

Now Im gathering my materials to create latex bondo ( sometimes known as cabo patch).

you will need cabosil ( a silica filler much akin to fine ground fiberglass ) BE CAREFUL this stuff is very dangerous to breath when its in its fine dust state ..so wear a respirator when handling)

You will also need Prosaid, a small plastic cup and some stir sticks, a cup of water and some small sponges ( im using makeup sponges)

7ee61e49.jpg

faac106e.jpg

mix the prosaid and the cabosil until you get a frosting-like consistency

2824413b.jpg

Using the stir stick I spackle heavily the seam area with the latex bondo

1ed26892.jpg

Now ..using a sculpting tool, I carve the texture lines back into the bondo, keeping consistent the patterns in the sculpt.

516b3d39.jpg

Using a wet sponge, I start to blend and feather the edges of the bondo ..and smooth out the body of the patch ( much like sanding an area of body filler on resin)

8d93fe2e.jpg

c388d4dd.jpg

I then use a hair dryer to dry up the patch and excess sponge water

eac06807.jpg

After a few minutes, I brush on some baby powder or talc to remove the tackiness of the bondo...then prep it for paint.

ac455ef4.jpg

Trying it on for size.

24b10cf2.jpg

And the payoff. Mark was so ecstatic about the gift ..It was hilarious when he showed up on set wearing it

3427a754.jpg

So theres my tutorial ..hope it helped a bit

...oh ...and keeping this a little on pred-topic ...look who else is on this film with me. Wish I could talk a little bit more about it..Ill share more when I can

a9737bde.jpg

damd,you're a lucky guy.nice tutorial where can you get the cabosil,does monstermakers have this?

I know my local Smooth-on guy carries it (cabosil)-- shouldnt be too hard to find. and YES-- use a respirator with this for sure-- it goes everywhere-- dont try tp pour it!
George-- great tutorial-- Ill be using it for sure!!!!

Awesome job you have there!

Most excellent tutorial –and one very well executed too. I’ve been looking for something like this for a while, hopefully to help me render minor surface repairs to my 1:1 pred. Thanks!
~Estelle

I recently learned that Cabosil is simply Fumed-Silica.

Cabosil I think is a brand name if I am not mistaken.

Smooth-on sells it under the name Urefil-9 (something like that)

It is advertised by smoothon as a urethane resin and rubber filler.

By the way this Huntorial Kicks Ass!!!!

I recently learned that Cabosil is simply Fumed-Silica.

Cabosil I think is a brand name if I am not mistaken.

Smooth-on sells it under the name Urefil-9 (something like that)

It is advertised by smoothon as a urethane resin and rubber filler.

By the way this Huntorial Kicks Ass!!!!
thanks meangene and eaglewood :)

That is a great tutorial. I love the great shots of sculpting texture into bondo. One can never get enough of Cock Knocker. I never realized that hand was just latex and polyfoam.

ha ..the original was foam latex, Mike. Kevin Smith promised it to Mark ..then kept it instead. So when we started production on Sushi Girl, I ran a latex and polyfoam version for him ..something that would last a bit longer in his trophy room. I convinced Mark to wear it to set during a jewel heist scene. None of the other cast members knew what was coming ..it was hilarious . I have video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs2PxaTKrvk

ha ..notice Tony Todd, and Jimmy Duval in the middle ..Ted Stryker from Loveline at the far back desk ...and Jeff Fehey at the foreground desk ..Director Kern Saxton is near Jimmy ..

We're doing his next flick ....so theres a chance...BTW ..ill shoot you a call tomorrow, to set something up. sorry I didnt get a hold of ya yesterday, crashed my car ..then went to a premier last night ..trying to get in a date tonight so ..we'll get to specifics tomorrow ...wow ..I just went waaaaaay off topic, didnt I?

Indeed you did my friend. Hopefully the insurance works out OK. California car insurance is such a pain. Just give me a ring when you can, and we will set something up.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back