how to rewire a pc fan

panik33

hey ive got a pc fan from my old pc and ive seen some people use it inside there masks so i was wonderin if anyone could tell me how to rewire them to be battery powered

thanks

ron

hey ive got a pc fan from my old pc and ive seen some people use it inside there masks so i was wonderin if anyone could tell me how to rewire them to be battery powered

thanks

ron

Can you tell me if it's a 12v pc fan or a 5v pc fan please? If it's the 5v it's real simple.

I think it's a 12v

You just want a little fan to move air in the mask right? Let me look through my endless boxes of sh!t as I believe I have a little 5v in there somewhere. If I do I'll wire it up and send it to you. Just remind me in a day or so if I have not gotten back to you. I'm crazy busy right now.

Most of the most recent fans should have a black and red wire going into them Red + black - and it should already be set up for DC from the power supply so the only trick is getting the correct voltage to it. I would start with 4 AA batteries for 6v and go from there.

You just want a little fan to move air in the mask right? Let me look through my endless boxes of sh!t as I believe I have a little 5v in there somewhere. If I do I'll wire it up and send it to you. Just remind me in a day or so if I have not gotten back to you. I'm crazy busy right now.
Thanks man that's realy great of you

I havent used fans in my pred, but I do use them in all my star wars based suits. I normally go to Ebay and buy the 40mm cpu fans 12V, look for the most quite ones in the specs, they are only a couple of pound, I run 2 in each helmet off 8AA's in holders which are also only pence on ebay, just wire them into a circuit with a little switch in line basic electronics mate, nothing hard about it.

Not for nothing I suggested the 5V fan due to less weight from the batteries. Very simple to build with parts from radio shack. Probably even cheaper than me shipping them to you. But take a look at this. If you want I will throw it together for you.

fandiargam.jpg

fandiargam.jpg

Not for nothing I suggested the 5V fan due to less weight from the batteries. Very simple to build with parts from radio shack. Probably even cheaper than me shipping them to you. But take a look at this. If you want I will throw it together for you.

fandiargam.jpg
hey that is really simple I'm going to try something similar to this as well when I get my bio thanks for posting mate

fandiargam.jpg

Panik33: I looked around and I only have a couple large 12v fans left. I can go pick up some small fans and make this for you if you do not want to do it. Also if you are having trouble finding the 5V fans check your local computer store and get one of those laptop cooling pads. They are often on sale for less than $20 many times you can get them for around $10. They usually come with 2-3 fans and they are already set up for 5V. Just tear it apart to get the components you need.

hey that is really simple I'm going to try something similar to this as well when I get my bio thanks for posting mate :rolleyes:

Hey no problem, I have no real artistic talent to offer here but I can beat the sh!t outta electronics so whatever I can do to help I will gladly do. And this was SUPER easy anyway. If he lived in the US it would be cost effective for me to buy the stuff and send it to him but overseas shipping kills.

Panik33: I looked around and I only have a couple large 12v fans left. I can go pick up some small fans and make this for you if you do not want to do it. Also if you are having trouble finding the 5V fans check your local computer store and get one of those laptop cooling pads. They are often on sale for less than $20 many times you can get them for around $10. They usually come with 2-3 fans and they are already set up for 5V. Just tear it apart to get the components you need.

hey man don't trouble yourself over it I'm gona give marcels way of dooin it with the Load of batterys it will help counterweight my bio anyway lol but thanks man you where a great help

Hey not a problem anything I can do to help. I was only thinking of the weight reduction as I've seen post of guys saying the heads cause neck pain after extended wear time. Good luck with your project. If you don't mind spending the extra money go get one of the batteries from those wireless doorbell transmitters. They are 12v and tiny if it does ever become a problem.

You can also pick up rechargeable 12 volt batteries at places like Batteries Plus. I bought a smallish 1.3 amp-hour 12 volt battery when I did the light-up spines in my Godzilla costume. Here's a list of their 12V rechargeable batteries. They also sell chargers there, too. You shouldn't need something real large unless you're going to have a lot of fans in there, or you're going to be running it for a long time between charges. They're rated in amp-hours, so a 0.8Ah battery should run a 0.8 amp load for an hour, a 0.4 amp load for two hours, and so on.

I'm planning to use the same battery when I finish my Predator costume. I figure I'll use it to power the wrist blade mechanism and the active camouflage netting, although I haven't even mentioned those projects on here yet.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back