How to Mould soft scene used Defiance prop for replication.

It should be fine. You would need to make a ridiculously tall mold in order to create pressure enough to distort it. Even if you do a clay-up mold, it should be fine because the silicone on top should only be about a 1/2" thick. Sprue that baby up! and pour it up!
Thanks for the info. I've done this before was worried that the silicon would have enough weight to distort the sides of the gun. Thanks again.

If you press on a section of the gun, how much pressure do you have to apply for it to yield?
If it does not yield too easily, I think you should be okay to cast it without worry of distortion.

And if you are going to make around 100 castings, you will need to recast it a couple of times.
Even with the proper amount of mold release and proper care of the mold, a mold will only last for so long. Maybe 20-25 pulls.

Glad to see you are looking into this. I remember you saying something about possibly molding the prop in the Defiance thread.

Terry

Terry thanks for your advise. Like I said I'd say it is at least as firm as a Nerf football. I can hold it in my hand and at normal pressure and it doesn't compress. Squeeze a little and it does.

As for the number of castings I figured I'd have to use more then one mold. I figured there had to be a limited number of copies from each mold. My mother used to do ceramics when I was a kid seem to remember the same issue.

I want to do this so other fans like me can have a piece of such a cool show. It kills me they cancelled it.

If you don't want to clay it up, you can mold it in a single block of silicone by supporting it on its sprues. After it cures, you cut the mold open with a zig-zag cut to provide keys for the mold halves to register back together. (Keep the cut lines straight against the part though for a cleaner edge.) Cutting it open is a little tricky if you haven't done it before, but that is how I do a lot of my molds. I hate claying parts up.

I don't cast or mold anything. but I do look around at all the processes of doing so. just my two cents worth half a penny. single block method would possibly be risky for this I would think. If the screen used prop was hard resin. then I would have a different opinion.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back