How to make solid Latex Gauntlets

MotoGuy75

Hello Fellow hunters and Huntresses,

I recently bought a set of latex gauntlets.They are great except they are a bit flimsy.I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make them more solid.I am not sure what I could use,never worked with latex before.

Thanks for any help,Daren

well, the more complicated way is to run a two part expanding polyfoam in to them. To insure proper fit, you would want to make a duct tape casting of your forearm...place it inside the gaunt ( make sure you put some sort of mold release on the armature ..polyfoam is actually an adhesive and will stick to it if not properly treated...most places that sell polyfoam also sell a foam release. The main problem is that the latex is out of the mold. the foam will keep expanding depending on how much you mix ( and it will expand quickly once it kicks) too much foam will will make it spill out the edges and possibly distort the shape of the gauntlet. If you have no experience with expanding foam, I would suggest you take an another route. One being the very simple upholstery foam. find sheet foam of desired thickness..cut using an electric carving knife ( the ones used on turkeys and bread and such) to the shape of your gaunt..then spray a light mist of super 77 spray adhesive to both the latex and the foam...let air dry for about a minute or two ...then apply the foam to the inside of the guant ..should work just fine. you then can spray the edges of the foam ( where they are showing) with plsti-dip and continue painting to match up to your finished piece ..good luck

Thanks guys.The gauntlets are lined with form already.What I am wondering is it possible to make the overall gauntlets hard like as if they were made out of resin?I thought of maybe covering the entire gauntlet with 5 minute expoxy resin.

Daren

Thanks guys.The gauntlets are lined with form already.What I am wondering is it possible to make the overall gauntlets hard like as if they were made out of resin?I thought of maybe covering the entire gauntlet with 5 minute expoxy resin.

Daren

you could, but you will most likely lose detail in the gaunt. I wouldn't change em at all. Latex and foam gaunts are great. The fit snug and won't break

There is another way and I've thought of doing this myself. This will require some liquid resin and this will be permanent.

1 -Wear the gauntlet to retain a shape you want.
2- Make a temp mold. Wrap it in clear wrap and plaster bandage around this. The clear wrap will keep the gauntlet clean from wet plaster
Press the wet plaster bandage into all the little concave areas to grab on to it. You can make a 2 part mold that can grab to each other with overlapping edges
3- Wait till the plaster bandage is all dry then remove the latex gauntlet for the next part

4- remove some foam 1/4 inch shave off to expose the porous foam.
- Put the gauntlet inside into the plaster bandage mold you just made, press into it to form the perfect shape
5- Brush on some liquid resin onto the foam from the inside, experiment with some resin to make sure the foam absorbs it.
6 If it does keep brushing, rotating, slush it until a lot of resin coats the inside of it. DO this in thin layers.
7- If it works the resin will form a hard shell from the INSIDE and give it the rigidity you want and won't lose any detail on the outside.

Good Luck

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back